Ferguson Police should be outlawed Topic

It's part of the reason for the protests, however. His point of view is that the DA acted "oddly" and because many town residents do not trust law enforcement, based on prior actions, this appears is if its the DA protecting Wilson. This, of course, is the bigger issue.

That said, I agree with the decision.  And if the DA sent it to a grand jury because they were afraid of the backlash if they didn't, I understand.  At the end of the day, a man attacked a police officer.  It shouldn't surprise anyone if that person gets killed.
12/1/2014 2:53 PM
So "many town residents" would have only been happy with a trial?

That's not how our system works.

Honestly, if there was a trial but no conviction, would anything be different?
12/1/2014 3:06 PM
They want a fair justice system, and they don't believe they're getting one.
12/1/2014 3:07 PM
That's avoiding the question.

I'll re-phrase.   If a trial had taken place and Wilson was convicted of nothing, would there have been protests/riots?
12/1/2014 3:12 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/1/2014 3:12:00 PM (view original):
That's avoiding the question.

I'll re-phrase.   If a trial had taken place and Wilson was convicted of nothing, would there have been protests/riots?
I answered it last week, but I'll answer it again. I said probably, but maybe with more facts available, it would be more understandable that Wilson did in fact kill this person in self-defense. 
12/1/2014 3:21 PM
Does the feeling that the system is unfair (which it may be or may have been) obligate the DA to indict?  Or the Grand Jury?

If the DA indicts out of obligation in order to assuage the community in spite of facts he knows do not lead to a prosecution, does that lead to violation of another citizen's rights?  Is that okay because of the general good?

Are the community's reactions, i.e. protests and riots, even relevant to that question?

12/1/2014 3:27 PM
So, in truth, it wasn't justice that was being sought, it was blood. 

Yeah, that works out well. 
12/1/2014 3:28 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/1/2014 3:28:00 PM (view original):

Yes, because that's what I said. Yup.
12/1/2014 3:31 PM
Posted by silentpadna on 12/1/2014 3:27:00 PM (view original):
Does the feeling that the system is unfair (which it may be or may have been) obligate the DA to indict?  Or the Grand Jury?

If the DA indicts out of obligation in order to assuage the community in spite of facts he knows do not lead to a prosecution, does that lead to violation of another citizen's rights?  Is that okay because of the general good?

Are the community's reactions, i.e. protests and riots, even relevant to that question?

Nope.

The DA can choose to not bring charges against Wilson. Or he can bring charges. Or he can take it to the grand jury. But the point of the grand jury is to present the prosecution's side and argue for indictment. Maybe the evidence against a wilson was so weak that not changing him was the right move. But, in that case, it should have never been sent to the grand jury. This was a farce, the DA made no effort to get an indictment.
12/1/2014 3:32 PM
Which only adds to the mistrust in the community.
12/1/2014 3:32 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/1/2014 3:32:00 PM (view original):

Nope.

The DA can choose to not bring charges against Wilson. Or he can bring charges. Or he can take it to the grand jury. But the point of the grand jury is to present the prosecution's side and argue for indictment. Maybe the evidence against a wilson was so weak that not changing him was the right move. But, in that case, it should have never been sent to the grand jury. This was a farce, the DA made no effort to get an indictment.
Would it have been better if the DA did not take this to a grand jury, if in fact the evidence was so weak? (which it appears it was)
12/1/2014 3:34 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/1/2014 3:31:00 PM (view original):

It really didn't matter what you said.    We both know that there would have been protests/riots if a not guilty verdict was issued. 

Therefore, justice was not being sought. 

12/1/2014 3:44 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/1/2014 3:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 12/1/2014 3:32:00 PM (view original):

Nope.

Would it have been better if the DA did not take this to a grand jury, if in fact the evidence was so weak? (which it appears it was)
Uh, no.   The DA would have been forced to resign just like Wilson did.  
12/1/2014 3:45 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/1/2014 3:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/1/2014 3:31:00 PM (view original):

It really didn't matter what you said.    We both know that there would have been protests/riots if a not guilty verdict was issued. 

Therefore, justice was not being sought. 

This was an opportunity to get attention to the overall issue that's going on there, but it's not working out that way.
12/1/2014 3:47 PM
I'm sure you believe that.    I'm obviously skeptical. 
12/1/2014 3:52 PM
◂ Prev 1...71|72|73|74|75...142 Next ▸
Ferguson Police should be outlawed Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.