Does WIS really care? Topic

I recently had a new user reach out to me with some questions (I'm on the 3.0 mentor list) and it blew his mind when I told him to not bother scouting D3 rated players and to primarily focus on D1 prospects that fall through the cracks. Unfortunately, by the time he had reached out to me he had spent the majority of his scouting budget on D3 recruits.

Needless to say, this will probably be a wasted recruiting class for him but, hopefully, he will like the mechanics of the game enough to stick around for another season.
4/24/2018 2:39 PM
Posted by tgblackw on 4/24/2018 2:39:00 PM (view original):
I recently had a new user reach out to me with some questions (I'm on the 3.0 mentor list) and it blew his mind when I told him to not bother scouting D3 rated players and to primarily focus on D1 prospects that fall through the cracks. Unfortunately, by the time he had reached out to me he had spent the majority of his scouting budget on D3 recruits.

Needless to say, this will probably be a wasted recruiting class for him but, hopefully, he will like the mechanics of the game enough to stick around for another season.
Imagine he sees that next season, just before he renews, he has no hope to get a good class, will he wait until session 2? No, he will not renew and that is the brutal truth and a key problem to this 3.0.
4/24/2018 2:45 PM

This is exactly what I did during my first ever season. I’ll say from the perspective of a relatively new user that there is definitely a learning curve to this site. It isn’t obvious at all that DIII schools should be recruiting DI players.
4/24/2018 2:51 PM
Posted by zorzii on 4/24/2018 2:45:00 PM (view original):

Imagine he sees that next season, just before he renews, he has no hope to get a good class, will he wait until session 2? No, he will not renew and that is the brutal truth and a key problem to this 3.0.
Since he had the foresight to ask for help I am hopeful that he will continue to reach out to me or someone better than me for guidance. I feel like the folks that get on the forums and see the mentor list have a leg up on the average new user who just gets destroyed his first season with none of his own players and quits. Asking for help/reading the forums at least give you the knowledge to make an informed decision on the game.
4/24/2018 3:05 PM
Posted by tgblackw on 4/24/2018 3:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zorzii on 4/24/2018 2:45:00 PM (view original):

Since he had the foresight to ask for help I am hopeful that he will continue to reach out to me or someone better than me for guidance. I feel like the folks that get on the forums and see the mentor list have a leg up on the average new user who just gets destroyed his first season with none of his own players and quits. Asking for help/reading the forums at least give you the knowledge to make an informed decision on the game.
That’s valid, and it’s always been true, and always will be as long as WIS incentivizes parking in D3. Its not about 3.0 specific recruiting, it’s about having time to orient to a complex game.

As I said earlier in this thread, and in the suggestions forum, I think it would be a great idea to vastly simplify D3 for new users. But that’s not a game people should pay for, nor is it a game people should get credit for dominating.
4/24/2018 3:34 PM

You guys are all dead on. Majority of people I help are recruiting D3 players and didn't know it was even possible to get D2 or D1.

One thing though - I won 2 titles at D3 with only D2 players so it can be done without D1 rated players... although its probably pretty rare.

But I don't think its really gonna happen with D3 players only. S16 is realistic limit unless you get super lucky or other coaches suck.
4/24/2018 10:08 PM
Somebody did a D3-recruit only test team and couldn't get past the 2nd round I think, I just did a search and couldn't find the thread..
4/24/2018 11:38 PM
Posted by mbriese on 4/24/2018 11:38:00 PM (view original):
Somebody did a D3-recruit only test team and couldn't get past the 2nd round I think, I just did a search and couldn't find the thread..
I'm pretty sure it was TJ. I don't have the thread saved though.
4/25/2018 8:06 AM
TJ did and it's impossible to win because you'd need to see all the D3 players in order to get enough talent, which is impossible considering the scouting $$ we get. Second, he would not be competitive unless he gets a heavy senior class anyways, juniors...
4/25/2018 12:17 PM
I personally don't like that the top D3 schools are full of D1 players. I wouldn't be opposed to there being a penalty to recruiting more D1 players once you already have a D1 player on your roster. The current system just seems really unrealistic. I liked the days of being able to compete fairly quickly with smart recruiting.
4/25/2018 12:45 PM
Posted by billscnb on 4/25/2018 12:45:00 PM (view original):
I personally don't like that the top D3 schools are full of D1 players. I wouldn't be opposed to there being a penalty to recruiting more D1 players once you already have a D1 player on your roster. The current system just seems really unrealistic. I liked the days of being able to compete fairly quickly with smart recruiting.
Most say the same thing, but nothing has changed. Hopefully it gets adressed.
4/25/2018 4:04 PM
I am in the first recruiting season at D1 and found that the recruiting is indeed very competitive. My questions about the game and recruiting at this level are that it is sometimes difficult to determine how the player preferences fit with the recruiting efforts. I don't like the dice roll system. The Very High, High, etc designations still don't tell me the match-up effort between two or more schools interested in a recruit. Since the beta test, I have felt that more transparency would be better and help us evaluate which battles are worth fighting. It seems it would be simple to provide on the "considering" page a total point amount for each school on the recruit. This would take in advantages or disadvantages for preferences, school prestige, division level and play them against consideration points and $$$ effort. It could even place a value for each school based on the recruit's preference best fit (higher value for best fit). These values would show a relative comparison showing the effort needed to overcome a competitor. A better fit would produce a higher value and would possibly allow a lower ranked team to pull off a recruiting upset. A lower score would indicate a tougher road for the lower team.

I realize that this hard number comparison would take some mystery away from recruiting in its current form, but it seems that is the biggest complaint in this forum is the unknown. It would allow us a more calculated look at where to place our bets, and when to push forward on a recruit or bail out for another recruit.

Just a thought.....
4/25/2018 9:18 PM
Posted by katzphang88 on 4/25/2018 9:18:00 PM (view original):
I am in the first recruiting season at D1 and found that the recruiting is indeed very competitive. My questions about the game and recruiting at this level are that it is sometimes difficult to determine how the player preferences fit with the recruiting efforts. I don't like the dice roll system. The Very High, High, etc designations still don't tell me the match-up effort between two or more schools interested in a recruit. Since the beta test, I have felt that more transparency would be better and help us evaluate which battles are worth fighting. It seems it would be simple to provide on the "considering" page a total point amount for each school on the recruit. This would take in advantages or disadvantages for preferences, school prestige, division level and play them against consideration points and $$$ effort. It could even place a value for each school based on the recruit's preference best fit (higher value for best fit). These values would show a relative comparison showing the effort needed to overcome a competitor. A better fit would produce a higher value and would possibly allow a lower ranked team to pull off a recruiting upset. A lower score would indicate a tougher road for the lower team.

I realize that this hard number comparison would take some mystery away from recruiting in its current form, but it seems that is the biggest complaint in this forum is the unknown. It would allow us a more calculated look at where to place our bets, and when to push forward on a recruit or bail out for another recruit.

Just a thought.....
No.
4/25/2018 9:48 PM
The problem with 3.0 and D3 schools is that it's not effective when the world is not full. If D1 was full, then it would be difficult for D2 schools to recruit D1 players and the same with D3 going after D2 players. If WIS can somehow rebuild the customer base and refill the teams, all of the recruiting issues will fix themselves. But as long as the game is mostly Sim AI, the same issues will continue.
4/25/2018 11:10 PM
Posted by tdiddy3 on 4/25/2018 11:10:00 PM (view original):
The problem with 3.0 and D3 schools is that it's not effective when the world is not full. If D1 was full, then it would be difficult for D2 schools to recruit D1 players and the same with D3 going after D2 players. If WIS can somehow rebuild the customer base and refill the teams, all of the recruiting issues will fix themselves. But as long as the game is mostly Sim AI, the same issues will continue.
Maybe start by not charging $12.95 for a single season. If I'm new and frustrated by my first season, there's no way I renew.
4/25/2018 11:21 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11...15 Next ▸
Does WIS really care? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.