Should KC plunk Bautista because he's a jerk? Topic

Of course.

But if he thinks it's a ball and it's called a strike, then maybe his judgement about ball/strike needs to be reevaluated and he needs to make adjustments next time.
7/1/2016 10:39 AM
"Protect the plate" is a concept BL is not familiar with. Maybe he shouldn't be managing in MLB despite the fact that he'd like his hitters to get hits.
7/1/2016 10:51 AM
There's a lot of baseball concepts that BL's not familiar with.

Thought it would be entertaining to watch him managing a MLB team with his special insight into the game.
7/1/2016 10:55 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/1/2016 10:40:00 AM (view original):
Of course.

But if he thinks it's a ball and it's called a strike, then maybe his judgement about ball/strike needs to be reevaluated and he needs to make adjustments next time.
Maybe. But the point is that every hitter goes to the plate with the intention of getting a hit.
7/1/2016 10:57 AM
There's that special insight in action again.

7/1/2016 11:13 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/1/2016 9:35:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/1/2016 8:40:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 7/1/2016 7:23:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/1/2016 7:06:00 AM (view original):
What if it was Edgar Martinez instead of Mike Trout? Would you want him to try to get a hit or just take his walk?
This is where it gets really uncomfortable for BL. I expect him to either avoid the question, or try to divert the discussion.
Why would that uncomfortable? All hitters are at the plate trying to get a hit.
Are they?

Have you ever seen a hitter take a called third strike on a pitch around the edge of the strike zone? Was he trying to get a hit by not swinging?
It isn't special insight. But then people ask questions like this and it becomes apparent that it also isn't common sense.
7/1/2016 11:48 AM
If it's a pitch that's generally regarded as "too close to take" with two strikes. and it's taken for called strike three, then it's difficult to insist that the hitter was "at the plate trying to get a hit".

Unless you can show me an example of a player getting a hit by not swinging.
7/1/2016 11:56 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/1/2016 11:56:00 AM (view original):
If it's a pitch that's generally regarded as "too close to take" with two strikes. and it's taken for called strike three, then it's difficult to insist that the hitter was "at the plate trying to get a hit".

So any player caught looking didn't go up to the plate with the intention to get a hit?
7/1/2016 12:01 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/1/2016 12:01:00 PM (view original):

So any player caught looking didn't go up to the plate with the intention to get a hit?
Maybe that's how they went up to the plate. But not how they left it.

Why do hitters take 3-0 pitches right down the middle?
7/1/2016 12:13 PM
I need the video of the guy not swinging getting a hit. When BL posts it, please quote it. Thanks in advance.
7/1/2016 12:37 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/1/2016 12:37:00 PM (view original):
I need the video of the guy not swinging getting a hit. When BL posts it, please quote it. Thanks in advance.
7/1/2016 12:44 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/1/2016 10:34:00 AM (view original):
Sure. But if he thinks the pitch is a ball, he should let it go.
doesn't matter what the hitter thinks. If the umpire thinks its a strike, its a strike regardless of what the hitter thinks. If I'm a hitter I'm taking into account how the ump has been calling balls & strikes. If its a close pitch I think is a ball, but I know the ump has been calling pitches like that strikes, I'm swinging.
Your statement should be if the hitter thinks the ump will call the pitch a ball, he should let it go.
7/1/2016 12:46 PM
Great point, and also dead-on, but you're interrupting BL's train of thought.

He's trying to figure out how to explain how taking a 3-0 pitch right down the middle of the plate is "trying to get a hit".
7/1/2016 12:56 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/1/2016 12:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/1/2016 12:01:00 PM (view original):

Maybe that's how they went up to the plate. But not how they left it.

Why do hitters take 3-0 pitches right down the middle?
I don't know. Why do hitters sometimes take strikes?
7/1/2016 1:03 PM
That particular batter is obviously looking for something better.
7/1/2016 1:03 PM
◂ Prev 1...93|94|95|96|97...106 Next ▸
Should KC plunk Bautista because he's a jerk? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.