Should KC plunk Bautista because he's a jerk? Topic

And we land in semantic land.

Obviously all all hitters go up to the plate with the intention of getting a hit. Sometimes they draw a walk instead.

I would disagree with your last sentence, though. Other than for a sac bunt, I don't think hitters are ever trying for an out instead of a hit.
7/1/2016 2:11 PM
Has BL admitted that it might be a good idea if the better hitter expanded his strike zone on occasion rather than pass the fate of the game on to the guy who can't hit?

Or would that ruin his "Edgar is the best ever!!!!" narrative?
7/1/2016 2:37 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/1/2016 1:40:00 PM (view original):
No, he was taking in this example because a walk is a guaranteed non-out while contact is only a non-out around 40% for the absolute best hitters.

No. He's sticking with WALK, ************!!!!
7/1/2016 2:39 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/1/2016 2:37:00 PM (view original):
Has BL admitted that it might be a good idea if the better hitter expanded his strike zone on occasion rather than pass the fate of the game on to the guy who can't hit?

What hitter doesn't occasionally expand his zone?
7/1/2016 2:45 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/1/2016 2:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/1/2016 2:37:00 PM (view original):

What hitter doesn't occasionally expand his zone?
That's what Ronald Torreyes was thinking.
7/1/2016 2:52 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/1/2016 1:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/1/2016 1:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 7/1/2016 12:46:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/1/2016 10:34:00 AM (view original):
Sure. But if he thinks the pitch is a ball, he should let it go.
doesn't matter what the hitter thinks. If the umpire thinks its a strike, its a strike regardless of what the hitter thinks. If I'm a hitter I'm taking into account how the ump has been calling balls & strikes. If its a close pitch I think is a ball, but I know the ump has been calling pitches like that strikes, I'm swinging.
Your statement should be if the hitter thinks the ump will call the pitch a ball, he should let it go.
Semantics.

If the hitter thinks the pitch is a ball, he thinks it will be called a ball.
Good Lord.

It's not semantics. It's understanding the umpire's strike zone, not what the hitter thinks the strike zone should be.
THIS ^^^
7/1/2016 5:44 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/1/2016 10:57:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 7/1/2016 10:40:00 AM (view original):
Of course.

But if he thinks it's a ball and it's called a strike, then maybe his judgement about ball/strike needs to be reevaluated and he needs to make adjustments next time.
Maybe. But the point is that every hitter goes to the plate with the intention of getting a hit.
You're wrong, as usual.

Sometimes hitters go to the plate looking to get on base. And a walk will do that. If it's bottom 9, home team down 3-1, leadoff batter has a full count - he may take that close pitch in hopes of getting a free pass to bring the tying run to the plate.

To say "every player goes to the plate trying to get a hit" is why your overly simplistic thought process leads to you being wrong and criticized so much. Some hitters try for a walk, try for a sac hit, try for a fly ball to score the runner from third, try to make the pitcher throw more pitches, etc. It's not always about the hit.
7/1/2016 6:46 PM
Every hitter goes to the plate with the intention of providing a positive offensive impact for his team.
7/1/2016 6:50 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 7/1/2016 6:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/1/2016 10:57:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 7/1/2016 10:40:00 AM (view original):
Of course.

But if he thinks it's a ball and it's called a strike, then maybe his judgement about ball/strike needs to be reevaluated and he needs to make adjustments next time.
Maybe. But the point is that every hitter goes to the plate with the intention of getting a hit.
You're wrong, as usual.

Sometimes hitters go to the plate looking to get on base. And a walk will do that. If it's bottom 9, home team down 3-1, leadoff batter has a full count - he may take that close pitch in hopes of getting a free pass to bring the tying run to the plate.

To say "every player goes to the plate trying to get a hit" is why your overly simplistic thought process leads to you being wrong and criticized so much. Some hitters try for a walk, try for a sac hit, try for a fly ball to score the runner from third, try to make the pitcher throw more pitches, etc. It's not always about the hit.
Did you get your period or something?
7/1/2016 7:06 PM
Because I pointed out you're wrong? Do a lot of women point out your stupidity while they're menstruating?
7/1/2016 7:20 PM
Do they have to be menstruating or could they just do it because it's so obvious?
7/1/2016 7:25 PM
I'll go with the latter, but BL is making it sound like it's exclusive to someone being on their period.
7/1/2016 7:30 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 7/1/2016 7:20:00 PM (view original):
Because I pointed out you're wrong? Do a lot of women point out your stupidity while they're menstruating?
Because you wrote three paragraphs for a meaningless distinction. Seems like something a chick on her period would do.
7/1/2016 7:53 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/1/2016 7:53:00 PM (view original):
Because you wrote three paragraphs for a meaningless distinction. Seems like something a chick on her period would do.
7/1/2016 7:59 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/1/2016 7:53:00 PM (view original):
There are no meaningless distinctions with you. Everything requires very slow, deliberate, detailed explanation.

And even then, it usually goes over your head.
7/1/2016 8:00 PM
◂ Prev 1...95|96|97|98|99...106 Next ▸
Should KC plunk Bautista because he's a jerk? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.