What If users RL baseball team Topic

Many people skulking around these forums like to drop into their comments that they 'played' the game and use that as proof that they have more insight in to how the game and/or the sim works.

I wonder who among you really played the game and to what level you consider playing to be. As in, if you topped out as a 12 year old all star, you did not play baseball.

So I am holding open forum tryouts in putting together an actual team based on your RL accomplishments.

who are you, what position did you play, and how far did you go?
9/9/2016 3:00 PM
2B/3B, VERY FAST, HIT LEADOFF OR 2ND, RIGHTY SPRAY HITTER. PLAYED ONE YEAR ( FLOATING BONE CHIPS AND LIGAMENT TEAR)OF COLLEGE BALL AT BOCA RATON.
9/9/2016 3:12 PM
I like your chances of making the squad. You strike me as a grit and balls kind of player.
9/9/2016 3:39 PM
I got kicked off my high school team my sophomore year for cursing at and fighting the other players.
Closest to my style.

CF Billy Hamilton but draws more walks
SP Jamie Moyer with an unhittable change

T: Lefty
B: Switch
9/9/2016 3:40 PM
Where's all the players?
9/9/2016 7:32 PM
I'm in LA and play for a men's team. Anyone is welcome to come tryout in January.

We'll probably need a pitcher and a bench bat.
9/9/2016 8:53 PM
I've never bragged about playing the game, but I've been coaching and managing youth baseball for the past 10 years or so. That's definitely given me a lot more insight than I had before, when I just watched games at the ballpark or on TV.

I also play on our local vintage team. A former ML pitcher is a part time pitcher on our team, whenever his schedule aligns with ours.
9/9/2016 10:54 PM
Played amateur from 1984-2007 in Orange County, CA probably around 700 games on weekend leagues, mostly Catcher until 1997, then 3B, OF, 1B. Usually batted in the 3, 4, 5, 6 hole. Hit around .380 with an OBP around .490. Considered myself a right-handed contact/power hitter. I've always enjoyed baseball stats...I'm still involved in the game as an umpire at the High School and lower level youth 8-14 year olds.
9/10/2016 7:41 AM
Everyone plays in their prime. You are going to catch.
9/10/2016 8:45 AM
Like tec, I've never bragged about playing the game, as I think it's foolish - plenty of guys who played ML ball forever wouldn't be able to manage, and plenty of guys who never played are among the most knowledgeable when it comes to the game.

That said, I played until I was 19, now play in softball leagues. Switch hitter, good contact guy, lots of speed, very little power - good leadoff material. I played MIF growing up, now play CF in my softball leagues to make the best use of my speed. I would say I'm a Dee Gordon type offensively (purely from a style standpoint - obviously not at his talent level).
9/10/2016 11:29 AM
Played until my junior year in high school (1993) mainly as C/1B. Couldn't crack varsity because our school was one of the best in Western Washington and consistently top 5 ranked high school and made the state playoffs all three years I was there.

Also, played in some pretty competitive summer league teams between 9-11 grade. Those were the most fun!!

I'm a big guy so wasn't fast but was a smart base runner. Right handed batter with some power. I hit the only homerun in the entire history of the Senior-Major league in 8th grade!

Very strong throwing arm and was even called on to pitch in some spots. Exceptional at blocking balls in the dirt and handling wild pitches.

I'll bat 5th as the starting catcher...
9/10/2016 5:01 PM
Played in HS. Fastball in the mid 80s that I could spot decently, counted on a circle change and forkball with good movement. Invited to walk on at DII, but shoulder tightness was already an issue by the time training started freshman year. Never could hit worth a damn.
9/10/2016 6:37 PM
Legion ball til 19. Not sure it still exists. Adult league until 25. SS until 15 when there was simply a better SS. 2B for about 8 games after that until the 1B complained I was still throwing like I was at SS(I was eating him alive over there). CF for the next 10 years. Contact hitter, batted 1-3 depending on what was needed. Invited to an open tryout at 18 after a Legion game(Phils or Reds, I don't really remember). Obviously was not signed but was told to put on 30 lbs and come back next year. Took 4 years to put on that 30 because, back then, baseball players weren't supposed to lift weights. How the **** do you put on 30 lbs without lifting? Just be fat?
9/11/2016 6:59 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/11/2016 6:59:00 AM (view original):
Legion ball til 19. Not sure it still exists. Adult league until 25. SS until 15 when there was simply a better SS. 2B for about 8 games after that until the 1B complained I was still throwing like I was at SS(I was eating him alive over there). CF for the next 10 years. Contact hitter, batted 1-3 depending on what was needed. Invited to an open tryout at 18 after a Legion game(Phils or Reds, I don't really remember). Obviously was not signed but was told to put on 30 lbs and come back next year. Took 4 years to put on that 30 because, back then, baseball players weren't supposed to lift weights. How the **** do you put on 30 lbs without lifting? Just be fat?
"Just be fat" seems to work for some.

9/11/2016 7:11 AM
9/11/2016 7:13 AM
1|2|3...14 Next ▸
What If users RL baseball team Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.