Moral Obligation? Topic

Something has been bothering me for a while and I want to get others' takes on it. There are 2 different examples of this that I've seen and am sure there are more.

1. While recruiting with one of my teams on a coast (I'm trying to be vague because I don't want to call out a specific coach) I was keeping my eye on a player as a possible back-up option. About a day into recruiting a d3 school from the other side of the country (2000+ miles) shows up on the recruit. The problem: the D3 school is coached by a well known (not secret) second ID of a guy who as a D1 school close to my team.

2. A coach (different from number 1) has two schools in the same division in the same world, over 1000 miles apart. Roster from school B has players from the same state as school A.

Look, I like both of these coaches and certainly don't want to accuse anybody of any wrong doing. I have no idea if they did anything wrong. But I think most will agree with me that this just looks bad. D3 schools recruiting 1000s of miles from where they are in states that would have been covered by a second ID in the same world just doesn't seem right due to the smaller scouting budgets D3 schools get. So my question is, in 3.0, if you have two IDs, is it up to you as a coach to not overlap recruiting areas? Am I way off base? I have no problems with multiple IDs but if my UConn and Cal Tech teams were in the same world I would make sure that Cal Tech had no players from the northeast and UConn nobody from the west coast. Anyway, I'd love to get others takes on this.
3/31/2017 2:55 PM
He's utilizing scouting from his D1 school for his D3 school. It's cheating. Nothing more, nothing less.
3/31/2017 3:01 PM
I think you are right Piman and I am against having two teams, especially at 3.0 where the scouting and recruiting have changed... Don't forget D3 has no money for scouting while D1 can basically keep 20 k a season. I am against two teams in the same world. It makes for cheating and I've experienced the same at D3 and It ****** me enough to quit my rebuilding. I even had a situation where a D1 team showed up on a subpar recruit to block me and then left the player...
3/31/2017 3:02 PM
Posted by piman314 on 3/31/2017 2:55:00 PM (view original):
Something has been bothering me for a while and I want to get others' takes on it. There are 2 different examples of this that I've seen and am sure there are more.

1. While recruiting with one of my teams on a coast (I'm trying to be vague because I don't want to call out a specific coach) I was keeping my eye on a player as a possible back-up option. About a day into recruiting a d3 school from the other side of the country (2000+ miles) shows up on the recruit. The problem: the D3 school is coached by a well known (not secret) second ID of a guy who as a D1 school close to my team.

2. A coach (different from number 1) has two schools in the same division in the same world, over 1000 miles apart. Roster from school B has players from the same state as school A.

Look, I like both of these coaches and certainly don't want to accuse anybody of any wrong doing. I have no idea if they did anything wrong. But I think most will agree with me that this just looks bad. D3 schools recruiting 1000s of miles from where they are in states that would have been covered by a second ID in the same world just doesn't seem right due to the smaller scouting budgets D3 schools get. So my question is, in 3.0, if you have two IDs, is it up to you as a coach to not overlap recruiting areas? Am I way off base? I have no problems with multiple IDs but if my UConn and Cal Tech teams were in the same world I would make sure that Cal Tech had no players from the northeast and UConn nobody from the west coast. Anyway, I'd love to get others takes on this.
I believe the actual "rule" I've heard of is 1000 or 750 miles apart. Outside of that I believe everything is legit, I understand what your saying as it is different in 3.0 but I know prior to 3.0 you could have 2 id's same world but they would have to be separated by 750 or 1000 miles. I don't remember the exact number.

I will say however I am against this tactic and do feel it shouldn't be allowed. But I believe it is only frowned upon and there is no rules against it.
3/31/2017 3:02 PM
Posted by bagger288 on 3/31/2017 3:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by piman314 on 3/31/2017 2:55:00 PM (view original):

I believe the actual "rule" I've heard of is 1000 or 750 miles apart. Outside of that I believe everything is legit, I understand what your saying as it is different in 3.0 but I know prior to 3.0 you could have 2 id's same world but they would have to be separated by 750 or 1000 miles. I don't remember the exact number.

I will say however I am against this tactic and do feel it shouldn't be allowed. But I believe it is only frowned upon and there is no rules against it.
They need to come up with a new rule now that scouting money is key at D2 and D3.
3/31/2017 3:04 PM
The game has changed quite a bit in 3.0 in regards to scouting and recruiting. Now you can recruit D1 players at D3.

Let's say you have a D1 team and you scout D1 internationals all to level 4. Then with your D3 team, are you supposed to forget what you saw? Are you supposed to not go for D1 internationals now totally? Do you need to just go scout that guy to level 4 so it's not like you're getting that information for free (even though identifying which guy to scout already gave you the advantage)?

Bottom line, I think they should have added in some changes in regards to multiple IDs. I think a lot of people, including maybe the coaches you're talking about, will do the right thing. But there are also many coaches who have secret IDs and will hide which teams they have. I think this is BS. There should be same way to link IDs to show who is who.
3/31/2017 3:06 PM
It's kind of double edged sword for the company. They want users to load up on teams for financial reasons, but then FairPlay kind of goes out the window if you're fielding two teams and benefitting from the D1 scouting.
3/31/2017 3:10 PM
Two active ID's should no longer be allowed within the same world. It's much easier in 3.0 to recruit across the country, especially if you can scout them with another ID. Anyone that does this is cheating imo.
3/31/2017 3:12 PM
They could allow people to have multiple teams at different levels if they lock recruiting by level. That way D2 and D3 schools couldn't recruit D1 players and D1 schools couldn't scout lower players. Of course that creates other issues.
3/31/2017 3:15 PM
Posted by Benis on 3/31/2017 3:08:00 PM (view original):
The game has changed quite a bit in 3.0 in regards to scouting and recruiting. Now you can recruit D1 players at D3.

Let's say you have a D1 team and you scout D1 internationals all to level 4. Then with your D3 team, are you supposed to forget what you saw? Are you supposed to not go for D1 internationals now totally? Do you need to just go scout that guy to level 4 so it's not like you're getting that information for free (even though identifying which guy to scout already gave you the advantage)?

Bottom line, I think they should have added in some changes in regards to multiple IDs. I think a lot of people, including maybe the coaches you're talking about, will do the right thing. But there are also many coaches who have secret IDs and will hide which teams they have. I think this is BS. There should be same way to link IDs to show who is who.
Solid argument.
3/31/2017 3:16 PM

From the September 2015 developer's chat:

To be honest I'm fairly certain that there are already plenty of people who use multiple ID's in HD. Not all of them cheat, but I am worried that this update will make those that do cheat more effective. By limiting the amount of schools that see recruits, it makes it more profitable/more likely that sharing info between accounts pays off. Are there any plans to actually crack down on multiple ID users or will this practice continue to be allowed?
(therewas47 - Hall of Famer - 3:44 PM)

Cheaters are going to cheat. I don't want to limit the potential of the game just to shut down cheaters. Maybe it's naive, but I like to think most of the people playing HD are not going to do that.

3/31/2017 3:39 PM
Posted by possumfiend on 3/31/2017 3:39:00 PM (view original):

From the September 2015 developer's chat:

To be honest I'm fairly certain that there are already plenty of people who use multiple ID's in HD. Not all of them cheat, but I am worried that this update will make those that do cheat more effective. By limiting the amount of schools that see recruits, it makes it more profitable/more likely that sharing info between accounts pays off. Are there any plans to actually crack down on multiple ID users or will this practice continue to be allowed?
(therewas47 - Hall of Famer - 3:44 PM)

Cheaters are going to cheat. I don't want to limit the potential of the game just to shut down cheaters. Maybe it's naive, but I like to think most of the people playing HD are not going to do that.

basically they DGAF
3/31/2017 3:57 PM

I agree he is using his Div I team to benefit his Div III team, but is this really making an effect on your "backup" options? I don't think it would take much effort on the Div I team to send a Div III team running away. Div III teams are not going to get into any kind of battle with a Div I from 1000 miles away. Just a minimum effort will send this guy packing and irritated he wasted his limited Div III money.

3/31/2017 4:13 PM
What about the D3 schools that he competes against? Should they be OK with it? It's cheating.
3/31/2017 4:18 PM
Yes, definitely cheating, the other Division III schools should have the beef, but NOT the Div I school.
3/31/2017 4:21 PM
1|2|3...15 Next ▸
Moral Obligation? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.