Meandering Thoughts Topic

So,

first category of stuff that has nothing to do with whatever the next thing will be:

BEST RELIGIOUS-THEMED MOVIES: (non-documentaries)

1.Groundhog Day (with Bill Murray)
2. The Apostle (Robert Duvall)
3. Kingdom of Heaven (the Director's Cut only !)
4. Oh God ! (George Burns - not the centerfielder)
5. The DaVinci Code (Tom Hanks)
6. The Ten Commandmants (Charleton Heston)
7. Dead Man Walking (Susan Sarandon)
8. The Mission (Robert Di Niro)
9. Pasolini's The Gospel According to Matthew
10. Pow Wow Highway
11. honorary mention: Bull Durham
4/16/2019 2:10 PM
Second Category:

BEST TV SHOWS EVER:

1. Game of Thrones (but the jury is still out on the last two seasons)
2. Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel
3. Star Trek: The Next Generation
4. The Prisoner (the original 1968)
5. Cheers
6. Taxi
7. The Honeymooners
8.. The Sopranos
9.. How I Met Your Mother (if we pretend the horror of that last season never happened)
10. West Wing
11. Honorable Mention: Batman (the 1960s)
4/16/2019 2:14 PM
for tv shows one my of my favorites is Psych.
love batman......ive only seen a few episodes but a true unknown classic was sgt bilko.
twilight zone / outer limits.
taxi.......dick van ****...ah you do have taxi
munsters / adams family
a thrilling extremely well done series was recent bates motel.
on now - santa clara diet.......search party........stranger things.......
warm spot for george reeves superman
4/16/2019 2:47 PM
Outer Limits and Twilight Zone. Good ones dino27 !

No one grieves for George Reeves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKoDLUUnpyk

Eric Frandsen is a friend of my brother's.
4/16/2019 3:38 PM
Breaking Bad
Seinfeld
All in the Family
The Office(1-7)
Sopranos
The Wire
The Walton's
Deadwood
Happy Days
It's Always Sunny
Curb Your Enthusiasm
4/16/2019 3:43 PM
Third Category: Best Science Fiction Books:

1. Kim Stanley Robinson, The Mars Trilogy (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars)
2. Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed
3. Isaac Asimov, The Foundation Series
4. Cixin Liu, The trilogy: The Three-Body Problem; The Dark Forest; Death's End.
5. H.G. Wells, The Time Machine
6. Ray Bradbury, The Illustrated Man
7. Ursula LeGuin, City of Illusion
8.Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
9. Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
10. Margaret Atwood, Oryx and Crake
Honorary Mention: Mary Shelley, Frankenstein; Michael Chrichton, Jurassic Park. H.G. Well, War of the Worlds; Marge Piercy, Woman on the Edge of Time

4/16/2019 3:50 PM
Fourth Category:

BEST FOOD IN THE WORLD (really, not what seems like we're supposed to like it)

1. Barbecue Ribs (1st place Texas. Honorary Mention, the "Sagra" - the annual cookout fundraiser for our local parish church - everyone in the neighborhood goes, even those of us who are not religious)
2. Fried Chicken - 1st place, the "Chicken in the Basket" at Pal's Pancake House in West Orange, New Jersey where we went every Sunday after church when I was a kid - came with french fries buried in honey. 2nd place, the fried chicken at almost any Chinese takeout place that comes with fried rice - admit it.
3. The Calzone I had the other day with Mozzarella, Ricotta, Spinach, Artichoke Hearts and Sausage.
4. Pizza anywhere on the East Coast or in Italy when made by actual Neapolitans
5. Orange chicken at Sushi places
6. Orange Chicken at Chinese Restaurants
7. Chicken with Curry and Coconut and Basil at Thai Restaurants
8. Real flame-grilled hamburgers at a place that knows how to make 'em - my favorite US hamburger was The Corner Bistro in West 4th Street in NY.
9. Pancakes at a place that knows how to make 'em. Best I ever had were at a hotel in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, can't remember which chain anymore, cook was Mexican.
10. Pasta with fish in a place in Italy that knows how to cook these dishes - best I have ever had was at a little hotel in Aversa, near Naples (the town is the armpit of the world) - that cook made sheer miracles every night in the dining room. Only thing that kept that awful little city from collapsing and falling into the earth itself.
Honorary mention: Dim Sum in Guanzhou; Tapas in Barcellona; Korean barbecue in San Francisco; the cheese sandwiches - provelone, swiss and cheddar, on hero sandwich long bread, with lettuce, tomato, onions and mustard, made by the latino guy with a little bodega on the corner of Fort Greene Place in the early 1980s when I lived there in Brooklyn.
4/16/2019 4:02 PM
Breaking Bad is the greatest TV show of ALL TIME! And it’s not even in your top ten?!?
4/16/2019 4:03 PM
Posted by bronxcheer on 4/16/2019 3:43:00 PM (view original):
Breaking Bad
Seinfeld
All in the Family
The Office(1-7)
Sopranos
The Wire
The Walton's
Deadwood
Happy Days
It's Always Sunny
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Oh, I did leave out the Waltons, but I agree completely. They will have to displace someone on my list. Seinfeld would have been on my list a little while ago. Rewatched a lot of it on Netflix recently, and the laughs did not come as readily - not sure why it seems to have aged. Might be me.
4/16/2019 4:04 PM
Posted by d_rock97 on 4/16/2019 4:03:00 PM (view original):
Breaking Bad is the greatest TV show of ALL TIME! And it’s not even in your top ten?!?
I know that many think that, and I respect that. But it is not my kind of preferred subject material. Just never caught my interest.
4/16/2019 4:06 PM
i found a place that makes pancakes from blintzes with cherry and apple in them......amazing....and dairy free.....gluten cost extra.
my favorite cuisine is topnotch vietnamese food...you havnt lived until you eat great homemade pho...cooked in a big vat. with so many ingredients including an apple..takes more then a day to cook.
4/16/2019 4:18 PM
Thoughts on top 10 lists.
  • If you have a comedy, It’s Always Sunny needs to be the first one listed
  • Anything with a laugh track should be banned
  • old South Park is a top 5 comedy ever
4/16/2019 4:22 PM
I don't do cartoons, anime, or comics.
4/16/2019 4:24 PM
some more science fiction books - the day of the triffids.....planet of the ape ( from 1950s )......the bicentennial man - asimov....island of dr moreau........veronica mars
4/16/2019 4:26 PM
a show i love but rarely heard above the din is WISEGUY with ken whal........one of the first if not the first to employ multiple episode story arcs and one of the first tv show drama's to be lauded for it's writing.......i think after the untouchables the first tv show about the mafia.
4/16/2019 4:32 PM
12345 Next ▸
Meandering Thoughts Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.