Y2K League - single season progressive starting with the year 2000

In this league, we start with the real life rosters of 24 MLB teams from the year 2000, and players from the other six teams (as well as any unprotected players from the 24) will be available in the draft. We move forward every season with that set up, but all 24 teams also get the chance to add players who made their sim debuts with their franchise.

Basic rules:

24 teams.
DH in the AL.
Balanced schedule, no interleague play
Must use RL home stadium and RL team name
WC in each league.
AAA - optional, draft up to four additional real life drafted players
League alignment: Determined by commissioner, as close to real life as possible. There will only be 12 AL and 12 NL teams, When one of the leagues reaches 12, the only available teams from that point on will be in the alternate league.

You start by posting a keeper list of RL players from your chosen franchise for the 2000 season. There is no minimum number of keepers required, but there is a maximum of 25.

Players who played on more than one team are the property of the first team that they played for. If that player isn't listed as a keeper, they become available in the draft (For example: Harold Baines played for the White Sox and the Orioles. He was on the White Sox first, therefore he goes to Chicago).

Initial draft consists of the players from the six RL teams who are not represented in the Y2K League as well as unprotected players from the 24 Y2K teams.

Draft order will be by 2000 W-L record, straight format (1-24, 1-24, etc)

Future drafts will be based on Y2K League standings with a 40 win floor. A team that wins less than 40 games automatically fall to the #6 spot in the draft.

Real life rookies: Starting with 2001, and continuing going forward, you will have first dibs on anyone who debuts for your team that season, providing that they are in the SIM. If they are not in the SIM, they do not become available until the first season that they do. So, for example, if you have the Cardinals, you can put Albert Pujols on your 2001 keeper list before the draft. But here's the catch, for each real-life rookie you take, you lose a position in the draft order. So, if you place 9th based on W-L, and keep three real life rookies, you will be moved to the 12th spot (and will remain in that spot for every round of the draft).

So who's in?

Draft Czar position, FREE team: I would love to find an owner who is willing to conduct the drafts, specifically, creating and maintaining the available player list and draft board. For this league to succeed, I would need somebody to commit to the role of draft czar. For their time and trouble, I will offer them a free team for each season that they run the draft. So, first question: Who is willing to accept that role? Please reply here.

Sitemail list: Dodgerdon; strubrosII; quagmire9000; tedcogswell; pugmania; mwett; kaboom1969; coltjj; Disco Dogs; totalpkg504; kujhawker; darny10; Southpaw85;
3/20/2023 11:29 PM (edited)
Confirmed owners

1. Los Angeles - DodgerDon
2. Oakland - strubrosII
. Cincinatti - quagmire9000
4. Seattle - tedcogswell
5. Houston - pugmania
6. St. Louis - mwett
7. Montreal - kaboom1969
8. Baltimore - coltjj
9. Florida - Disco Dogs
10. Pittsburgh - totalpkg504
11. Kansas City - kujhawker
12. New York Yankees - darny10

13. Cleveland - Southpaw85
14. Atlanta - spcaesar
15. Philadelphia - tedcogswell
16. Anaheim - DodgerDon

Potential alignments:

AL Teams

East -
1. New York
2. Baltimore
3. Cleveland

Central -
1. Kansas City
2. Houston

West
1. Oakland
2. Seattle
3. Anaheim

NL Teams

East
1. Montreal
2. Florida
3. Atlanta
4. Philadelphia

Central -
1. Cincinnati
2. St. Louis

3. Pittsburgh

West -
1. Los Angeles

Available teams

AL:

Boston
Toronto
Tampa Bay
Chicago White Sox
Detroit
Minnesota
Texas

NL:

New York Mets
Milwaukee
Chicago Cubs
San Francisco
Colorado
San Diego
Arizona
3/22/2023 8:18 PM (edited)
Posted by darny10 on 3/17/2023 8:36:00 PM (view original):
Giants
You're first on the waitlist if they become available.
3/17/2023 8:38 PM
Posted by Mwett on 3/17/2023 9:47:00 PM (view original):
Quote post by tedcogswell on 3/17/2023 9:31:00 PM:

You start by posting a keeper list of RL players from your chosen franchise for the 2000 season. There is no minimum number of keepers required, but there is a maximum of 25.

As long as this isn't limited to Opening Day roster only, (Free Agents not yet signed, pre-season DL, in-season minors call-up), I could still be in. I may also change teams, preference list forthcoming of course subject to priority reclaim by original owner.
Definitely not. Going with the more simple definition - anyone in the sim for your team in 2000 except for multi-team players that played somewhere else first. Opening day status is not relevant. I hope you'll stay, and there will be an opportunity to switch teams once I know how many HISHBD returnees we get.
3/17/2023 9:54 PM
I'll pass, so the Phillies are available.
3/17/2023 9:58 PM
Thanks for letting me know. Wish us luck!
3/17/2023 10:00 PM
Posted by chrisekeedei on 3/17/2023 9:58:00 PM (view original):
I'll pass, so the Phillies are available.
For the record, teams that are not claimed by their original HISHBD owners will be available, but not officially until I've gotten responses from at least most of the original owners (within reason, by Monday I'll likely assign a deadline if we're not there yet).
3/17/2023 10:09 PM
Posted by darny10 on 3/17/2023 10:12:00 PM (view original):
Yankees
Confirming with previous owner.

You will technically be listed as waitlist until I get enough responses from other returning owners, but if he confirms, they're all but yours.
3/17/2023 10:18 PM
im still in
3/17/2023 10:40 PM
Posted by PugMania on 3/17/2023 10:40:00 PM (view original):
im still in
Awesome. Thanks for checking in!
3/17/2023 10:42 PM
Duly noted.

If we don't have a majority of HIMHBD replies by the end of the weekend, I will set a deadline.
3/17/2023 11:01 PM
Wow this got confusing... BUT, having said that I'll stay with the REDS.
I did my draft going on the "Opening day" roster, so I have P Gabe White even though he only threw 1 IP or something dumb like that.

Not sure about this "New Twist" idea , seems like a lot to police.
3/18/2023 12:27 AM
I'll stay with Baltimore
3/18/2023 7:00 AM
More as an experiment but not volunteering to do so for future seasons, I came up with the draft center 2000 alpha sort of the 68 hitters and 51 pitchers who played for multiple teams. I can post or site-mail the list or someone can create their own to whoever wants to do the dirtier work of figuring out which team each player started the season with and posting in the future draft thread for all owners to compare each of their franchise selections against making sure any of their players weren't part of a trade starting with a different team. This may or may not be an exclusive task to maintaining the entire draft board, but either way both need to be done from scratch every season of this league's existence . . .
3/18/2023 8:51 AM
Ill stick around
3/18/2023 8:58 AM
1234 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.