DIII - Red Recruit Rankings Topic

It's always interesting to see the different ways other coaches approach aspects of the game. In recruiting, I typically look first for guys who interest me on the most important categories (for SF's, it's the 5 categories I listed), and then see if anything else disqualifies them or sets them apart.

So I probably wouldn't have even considered Johnson because of his lousy ATH/SPD for a SF, and likely wouldn't have even looked at things like his BH/PASS.

On the other hand, Walker's ATH/SPD would have caught my eye (but I probably ultimately would have avoided him too, largely because of his WE).

Good thing everyone doesn't always like the exact same recruits - makes the game more interesting. :)
4/21/2010 11:24 PM
For what it's worth, I rank the top ten SF you show above as follows:

1 Mike Shoemaker
2 John Sides
3 Darin Gilbert
4 Robert Yung
5 Merle Turner
6 James Roberts
7 Fred Luz
8 Michael Becker
9 Noel James
10 Jeffrey Francis
11 Russell Gehring
4/22/2010 5:38 PM
I have Walker just ahead of Johnson, but basically tied (318.75 to 318.5).

Both are ranked well ahead of Gehring (308), but below Francis (326). For comparison, I have Sides at 357 and Shoemaker at 371.

I basically agree with you though, I'd take Walker over Johnson every time. That's why I never rely completely on my rankings - just use them as a tool to identify potential targets, then look through the list and decide who I want to target.
4/22/2010 5:43 PM
Great discussion on this - I appreciate the feedback and the input. It certainly helps refine my system and allows me to put out better results.

Court - fundamentally, I think our biggest difference is over the value of ATH for SF's. My belief, and the conventional wisdom if I’m not mistaken, is that ATH is a critical category for SF's and needs to be valued as such.I think your undervaluing that category quite a bit.

Quantitatively, Walker and Johnson may wind up near each other, but I think the huge difference in arguably the two most important categories is too much to ignore. As Half and Blue have indicated, qualitative analysis must be applied to weed through the results. In this case, that would lead most to pass on Johnson based on inadequate ATH+SPD. Similarly, though Gehrig rates highly overall, I would likely immediately disqualify him from consideration based on his woeful REB (10).In fact, looking at him more closely, it makes me think further refinement may be necessary – my initial take is that he’s too highly rated. Food for thought.

In the meantime, let's take a look at PF -

4/23/2010 12:48 AM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
4/23/2010 12:53 AM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
4/23/2010 12:54 AM
Season 41 - DIII Top 25 Power Forwards (11-25):

DIII RankDIII PercentileNameRed RatingSigned ByPrestige
1191%William Ryan4.38FiskC+
1291%Horace Clouse4.37Howard PayneC
1390%George Wolfe4.34LawrenceB-
1489%Jeremy Mowers4.18Rensselaer Poly.A
1588%Phillip Austin4.15King'sC
1688%John Johnson4.12LasellB+
1787%Phillip Matthews4.07City College of NYA
1886%John Hubbard3.83DenisonB
1985%Christopher Stivers3.73Medgar EversC-
2084%Frank Head3.51LasellB+
2184%Leslie Mason3.46GallaudetC
2283%Wade Houston3.44IthacaB-
2382%Conrad Marcell3.41EarlhamC-
2481%Brian Maser3.37GreenvilleC
2580%Jeremy Jackson3.34LasellB+
4/23/2010 12:55 AM
Red, I agree with you & the other guys about ATH for a SF & how it's important. What I'm saying is that I don't think you guys are considering "How Bad" Walker's WE is for a SF. Because a SF has to be at least average to good in all catergories, WE is more important in a SF than any other position and with Walker having an absolutely ****** WE "as in the friggin toilet" it works against his ATH. They basically cancel each other out and it's a wash. ATH embellishes all the other catergories, it's not a specific catergory all to itself, like BH or REB. Than all he has is his SP, compared to all the other catergories for Johnson. Who cares if he has good Athleticism if he never uses or applies it and tries to get better. He's just gonna be an average player his whole carrer. On the other hand, Johnson maybe a little on the slow side, but has the potential to be a great player. I'd be curious to see how much each of them, Walker and Johnson, improve this year as well as the years to follow and see how this plays out.
4/23/2010 9:31 AM
As of today, Walker has improved 13 points from 435 to 448, Johnson has improved 33 points from 458 to 490 (he's -1 in LP).
4/23/2010 9:41 AM
Nice to see one of my guys (PF Conrad Marcell) make the list... I thought I recruited a real great class for my first try ever in HD. I thought my SG Ian Lee may have been the one to make the list but he didn't quite make it... though having a great season and is up to 65 per and bombing 3s.
4/24/2010 4:26 PM
Court, that comparison with Johnson is not 100% fair on improvement. Walker is redshirted this year and with his WE and getting no minutes, he is not going to improve much this year. Johnson is getting minutes and shots this year which can up his improvement greatly.

I can appreciate your position but I just don't see how Walker is not superior to Johnson. The SP/ATH combo really boosts the other ratings and since he is still close in other cores, I think Walker will ultimately be the better player. We will see though.
4/26/2010 7:27 AM
Glad to see Nicolai hit the top 10. He was a late find after I lost out on French early.
4/26/2010 7:28 AM
Regarding improvement, I think I've mentioned this before, but the ratings are based purely on recruits' raw skills. WE is not a "skill" per se and therefore plays only a marginal role in the ratings. Further, with the introduction of potential, a recruit's growth capacity is only partially driven by WE.

I've given some thought to more heavily incorporating WE into the ratings but have yet to bake that in.
4/26/2010 9:39 PM
4/26/2010 9:55 PM
4/26/2010 10:14 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12...15 Next ▸
DIII - Red Recruit Rankings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.