07-08 Player Release ** Updated 5/19 ** Topic

Instead of updating the other thread again I'll start a new one. The All-Defense teams have been announced so we're no longer waiting for that. However, we've just recently been alerted to some errors in stats from 2000-01 and 2003-04. We're trying to get corrected stats now and hope to have that in the next day or two. Once we get the corrected stats into our database, verify them, and redo the necessary calculations for the SimEngine (Def Rating, Reb%, etc.) we should be ready to release everything.

Also, we've made a number of improvements to the numbers that are used by the SimEngine. The changes are:

• Slight tweak to improve Offensive Reb%, Defensive Reb%, Steal%, and Block%

• Improved calculation for a player's possession%, which we're now calling Usage%

• Improved method for generating Defensive Ratings

• Log5 Normalization of FG%, which means that we look at how a player's shooting numbers compare to the league average from his season and adjust sim performance. In effect, this should make a lot of older players useable in the sim.

• Salaries will obviously need to change for all players since these numbers are changing. But we're also going to lower most salaries across the board. There will be a few players that will go up, but most will go down.

• The draft search interface has been streamlined and also some of your requests have been added. You'll be able to search by up to 3 teams at a time. Also, you'll now have two new stats views: Per 48 minutes and Advanced. The Advanced view will show you some of the numbers that are used by the SimEngine directly such as Usage%, Reb%, etc. We've also changed how the stat criteria sections work, so now you'll just select up to 9 categories to filter by instead of having every category on the screen.

These changes will also force us to release a new version fo the SimEngine and essentially make a copy of all existing players. So any in progress leagues won't be affected by this change. Any teams that are in leagues that haven't filled and teams in the draft center will have their players mapped to the new version with the new numbers/salaries. If any teams are over the salary cap at that point, we'll have to send them back to the draft center.

Also, if anyone knows of data errors in any season other than 00-01 or 03-04 please let us know ASAP. Thanks.

*** Update 5/14 ***
Release Date will be Monday 5/19.

I know you guys have been waiting a long time for the 07-08 players so I really apologize for the delay, but there is so much going into this update that I don't want to rush it. I think it'll be worth the wait with an improved SimEngine and a lot of new numbers for you guys to chew through.

*** Update 5/19 ***
If anyone hasn't noticed, the release is out now. I'll monitor this thread for a while, but if you notice any errors or issues (not just disagreeing with a defensive rating) please submit a support ticket.

Keep in mind that salaries have changed, so if you're in a league that hasn't filled you may want to return to the draft center to maximize your payroll.
5/13/2008 11:12 AM
will we be able to view the normalized fg% numbers, is that one of the advanced stats?
5/13/2008 12:08 PM
Well, well, this is going to be geek heaven.
5/13/2008 12:14 PM
I like having every category on the screen
5/13/2008 12:14 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By platypus91 on 5/13/2008will we be able to view the normalized fg% numbers, is that one of the advanced stats
The explanation I got was that it will appear as "FG+". This is similar to what baseball uses for ERA normalization. It will appear in the search results (if selected).

The number will use 100 as a baseline. Anything over 100 means they shot better than the league average for the season shown. Less than 100 is lower than the average. FG+ has two parts... the FG% relative to the league average that year and FG% itself.
5/13/2008 12:28 PM
jakotay is correct
5/13/2008 12:34 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By garyman on 5/13/2008
I like having every category on the screen

There will be 51 different criteria that can be searched. (5 are positional criteria... PG%, SG%....). It will not be possible to see all of the criteria but we can select up to 9 at once.
You can also sort by any one of the criteria you select in your search. The search results do not show each of the criteria you select. It will filter out the players within the range(s) you select. The default view will be close to what we see now.

(This is based on Beta testing I took part in. Things may change since then and now).
5/13/2008 12:39 PM
can't wait
5/13/2008 1:17 PM
Will the defensive rating fix finally mean that Bill Russell will get some love?
5/13/2008 2:02 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By jakotay on 5/13/2008
Quote: Originally Posted By platypus91 on 5/13/2008
will we be able to view the normalized fg% numbers, is that one of the advanced stats?
The explanation I got was that it will appear as "FG+". This is similar to what baseball uses for ERA normalization. It will appear in the search results (if selected).

The number will use 100 as a baseline. Anything over 100 means they shot better than the league average for the season shown. Less than 100 is lower than the average. FG+ has two parts... the FG% relative to the league average that year and FG% itself.

That's fantastic! Will the salaries be based on the normalized stats or the actual stats? I would hope the former. Otherwise we'll be forced to look at the normalized stats every time to find the values in the sim.
5/13/2008 2:36 PM
Salaries will account for the normalized shooting percentages.
5/13/2008 2:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by doctorevil on 5/13/2008Will the defensive rating fix finally mean that Bill Russell will get some love?
Not sure what you're referring to there, since his lowest season currently is a 95.
5/13/2008 2:42 PM
More "accurate" blocks? (My guess).
5/13/2008 2:50 PM
Everything sounds good, I think the main question is WHEN can we expect this update to take place...AND will open league records be reset?
5/13/2008 3:13 PM
Will different player seasons get different percentage penalties when doubleteamed?

If so, will we be able to see what those specific percentage penalties in the player season's stat box?
5/13/2008 3:15 PM
1|2|3...11 Next ▸
07-08 Player Release ** Updated 5/19 ** Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.