That's pretty much all you need in the playoffs, especially in that best of 5 series...

I've seen it happen numerous times to other owners before but this time I'm the one who just got funked...

My 109 win team just got swept by a 77 win team in the division finals, yea that's right, a team that finished 32 games behind mine...

And I'm not even talking about an experienced owner who pulled some Milacki or Cisco out of his playoff hat but about an owner who's done no better than one final in 40 tries...

He just swept me 'fair n square'...

On paper it looked like I had all the edges, hitting, pitching, defense, speed... until I lost three straight.

Makes you wonder why you put so much time and effort into a team when it can all be wiped out by a couple of bad roll of a dice...

Btw, I will post about my miraculous win, if it ever happens, when I do take out a team that finished 30 games ahead of mine, to share the joy...
9/18/2009 5:58 AM
My 130 win team just got SimF**ked in the 1st round too. What made it a joke was that we lost on 6 unearned runs in the last game. To a team we finished 40 games better than.

9/18/2009 7:26 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By mudbone1969 on 9/18/2009
My 130 win team just got SimF**ked in the 1st round too. What made it a joke was that we lost on 6 unearned runs in the last game. To a team we finished 40 games better than.

That is beyond sick... To win 130 only to get screwed by a 1st round loss on 6 unearned runs is absurd...

Yet from what I've read in these forums it seems to be happening a lot more than 'odds' would have us believe...

Funny though 'cause I did see you had that team in the top 25 and for a second there I had wondered if you had won a championship with it. I never had a team win that many nor ever have been in a league with a team winning that many but for some reason, I had this feeling that the Titanic Syndrome was lurking...

Seems that in the wonderful world of WIS the taller you are the better you crash... 911 style...

9/18/2009 8:27 AM
The unofficial story I've gotten on this in the past is that the Sim has a built in "equalizer" that enables teams to compete with a team that is far superior in a playoff series. I asked why and the answer was to give hope to owners who aren't quite so good at building good teams. They figure good owners will keep playing and winning titles anyway.

It's all about the $$$ and it's obscene.
9/18/2009 6:41 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By Funksteady1 on 9/18/2009

That is beyond sick... To win 130 only to get screwed by a 1st round loss on 6 unearned runs is absurd...

Yet from what I've read in these forums it seems to be happening a lot more than 'odds' would have us believe...

Funny though 'cause I did see you had that team in the top 25 and for a second there I had wondered if you had won a championship with it. I never had a team win that many nor ever have been in a league with a team winning that many but for some reason, I had this feeling that the Titanic Syndrome was lurking...

Seems that in the wonderful world of WIS the taller you are the better you crash... 911 style...

I don't know what the actual numbers are as far as # of posters to total # of users/owners but my guess is that it is a very small fraction. There are thousands of owners and it appears that the forums are used by a small minority. What I am getting at here is that we are reading about the extreme outcomes that seem to defy logic and assuming that it is prevalent therefore some kind of problem with SIM. What we don't read is how the team with 110 wins crushed the 88 win WC team in the first round. People tend to not post bragging of victories becuase for one it wouldn't even be fun to read...like, who cares? There must be a lot of other cases out there where SIM works properly, we only read about it when it doesn't....or at least when perception is that it doesn't.
9/18/2009 7:16 PM
What was the best thing before sliced bread?
9/18/2009 8:45 PM
Hey don't feel like the Lone Ranger my 115 win team got swept in the 1st round of the playoffs by a 88 win team
9/18/2009 9:31 PM
Gotta draft Caruthers.
9/18/2009 10:23 PM
I'm down 2 to 3 in the world series against a weaker team. Mine won 100 games, the other team won 99. However, I also blew a good 30 games along the way...

Of course that same team beat a better team, one of ligapoleta "dominican boggs" teams, in the playoffs.
9/18/2009 10:50 PM
I understand the anger, I would be very upset in the above mentioned cases. However, I don't understand why more and more people don't want to jump aboard leagues older playoff formats. People don't want to join a league where only one or two teams in a league make the playoffs because they risk have a 95 win team not making the playoffs (wasting money, I guess). However, you want to avoid losing to teams that win 30-40 games less than you...join a league like that.

Note - These leagues aren't popping up everywhere, but I'd imagine an OL style league where only two teams make it from each league wouldn't attract many...
9/18/2009 10:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by winnetka1 on 9/18/2009What I am getting at here is that we are reading about the extreme outcomes that seem to defy logic and assuming that it is prevalent therefore some kind of problem with SIM. What we don't read is how the team with 110 wins crushed the 88 win WC team in the first round. People tend to not post bragging of victories becuase for one it wouldn't even be fun to read...like, who cares? There must be a lot of other cases out there where SIM works properly, we only read about it when it doesn't....or at least when perception is that it doesn't.
I agree. Looking at my profile, I see I've made the playoffs 165 times. I can count on one hand the number of times I lost a series where I thought going in, "There's NO WAY my team is going to lose to this team." Same thing vice versa, where I pulled off (what I considered to be) a huge upset.

That said, getting knocked out of the playoffs by what you judge to be a vastly inferior team does stick in your craw. I'll never forget my 109 win team getting swept in the first round by an 80 win team -- and that must have been 150 teams ago for me! Phillies franchise team, and my Steve Carlton and Jim Bunning were the #1 and #2 Cy Young vote-getters, and between them they started all three games. I think one had an ERA over 12, the other over 14. Never mind a game, I don't think I even won an INNING in that series, ha ha.
9/19/2009 4:54 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By winnetka1 on 9/18/2009

Quote: Originally Posted By Funksteady1 on 9/18/2009

I don't know what the actual numbers are as far as # of posters to total # of users/owners but my guess is that it is a very small fraction. There are thousands of owners and it appears that the forums are used by a small minority. What I am getting at here is that we are reading about the extreme outcomes that seem to defy logic and assuming that it is prevalent therefore some kind of problem with SIM. What we don't read is how the team with 110 wins crushed the 88 win WC team in the first round. People tend to not post bragging of victories becuase for one it wouldn't even be fun to read...like, who cares? There must be a lot of other cases out there where SIM works properly, we only read about it when it doesn't....or at least when perception is that it doesn't.
Well, how about those odds, we had three teams over 100W in this same league, all three lost in the first round...

I too find the equalizing theory pretty hard to believe and completely fu*ked up if true... if I ever know for sure this is for real I'll quit playing even before I'm through with my teams and send the nastyest ticket WIS support has ever had the eyes to behold and then I'll curse them with my voodoo powers to a place where there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth...
9/19/2009 7:19 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By grizzly_one on 9/19/2009
The unofficial story I've gotten on this in the past is that the Sim has a built in "equalizer" that enables teams to compete with a team that is far superior in a playoff series. I asked why and the answer was to give hope to owners who aren't quite so good at building good teams. They figure good owners will keep playing and winning titles anyway.

It's all about the $$$ and it's obscene.
Mudbone. you are one of my favorite posters. I regret we've never been in a league together. But honestly, I don't know if I can take you seriously on this, you can, and will, say ANYTHING.

But I do believe it STRONGLY.

Same here, never been in a league with muddy but would be really cool to have
9/19/2009 7:28 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By jhawk14 on 9/18/2009I understand the anger, I would be very upset in the above mentioned cases. However, I don't understand why more and more people don't want to jump aboard leagues older playoff formats. People don't want to join a league where only one or two teams in a league make the playoffs because they risk have a 95 win team not making the playoffs (wasting money, I guess). However, you want to avoid losing to teams that win 30-40 games less than you...join a league like that.

Note - These leagues aren't popping up everywhere, but I'd imagine an OL style league where only two teams make it from each league wouldn't attract many..

Didn't know about these leagues, but I would definitely be interested in joining one. I'm all for best of seven series, eliminates some of the badluck factor, of course in this case I was swept so I still would have had to win the next four, which unless you play AMY isn't all that likely to happen...
9/19/2009 7:32 AM
Random stuff does happen. It's baseball. There are all kinds of examples of things that happen that are unexplainable and after it happens it changes the course of a game or a series. Just ask Bill Buckner. Having a randomizing aspect in Sim would be realistic in my opinion. Taking this to the extreme and suggesting that there is some such equalizer program injected by admin to keep new blood (that builds bad teams) coming into the game seems paranoid. There are lots of ways to explain the collapse of a team during the playoffs that wins 110 games during the season. Take fatigue as one explanation. Another would be how I beat a 105 win team in the first round with my third team ever. I made the wc by just a few games and he dominated me all during the season. He beat me 10 out of 12 in the regular season. My team started out so poorly (3-13) that after about 30 games or so I hit the waiver wire hard and often. My $80 M team was worth $74M by seasons end. I essentially rebuilt the team on the fly and put together a rather scrappy team. The guy I beat in the playoffs had faced two distictly different teams. He dominated my first team ( 7 out of 7) regular season, and took 3 out of 5 against the waiver wire built team. My team got better. Simple as that. After the first round of the playoffs after I beat him he was ****** and screamed and yelled about how he dominated me throughout the season blah blah blah...It happens. My team turned out to be pretty good. Made it to the final game of the second round of the TOC. By the way, this is not an endorsement of using the waiver wire. But it can happen that teams change throughout the season.
9/19/2009 8:29 AM
1234 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.