Best NBA Sim Player Topic

Hey guys....which is the best sim player for an open league? I allow for one non-73 player on my Cincinnati 73s concept teams, thus who's the best guy to go with, regardless of team makeup. I know there are Nashs, Allens, Rodmans, Pejas, but who and what season are the best? Thank you in advance
12/3/2009 1:05 PM
Here's a suggestion from outside the cookie jar - the 07-08 J.R. Smith has been excellent value/performance for me in a few $42 mil leagues. If you can afford a super-sub, he is (in my experience) an automatic 7-12 ppg with excellent efficiency and not-horrible defense. Take it for what it's worth.
12/3/2009 2:05 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
12/3/2009 3:59 PM
87-88 (as well as 88-89 & 89-90) Charles Barkley is a beast. If I had the #3 pick in the ODL, I'd pick him. The only people I'd draft above him are 78-79 Moses and 91-92 Rodman. Yes, before Wilt, before Jordan, Bird, Magic or any other legend. He is dominant in $42 million leagues and gives you all kinds of things you need: high efg% (he'll shoot above 60% for the season), TONS of ftas, tons and tons of paint scoring, lots of offensive boards, good support on the defensive boards, plus he'll get you 100 steals and a 100 blocks over the course of the year. He will turn the ball over a lot, though... more than 4 times a game. But the trade-off is definitely worth it.

01-02 Paul Pierce is a beast (and gives you a lot of 3s, which you lack with your concept). So is 02-03 Tracy McGrady.

Several Reggie Millers work well (96-97 is my fav - most 3s and incredibly low tov%, something u need with your concept).

05-06 Antawn Jamison gives you some nice defensive boards, a good number of 3s, lot of points and extremely few turnovers. Doesn't get to the line much, though. Don't be afraid of his 44% fg% - it turns into 47/48% with usually 42-44% from beyond the arch. Love pairing him with Barkley. Of course, both are among my favorite players of all-time, but they do work nicely together.

05-06 Chauncey Billups. Gives you everything you need to help your old-school concept - tons of 3s, few turnovers, few fouls. Lot of ftas, too. He'll give you 250 threes at around 50% with 11+ apg with less than 3 topg. And he plays defense (as much or as little as that means in the sim). He does have games where he shoots in the crapper, but he's always been pretty clutch for me. He's been the PG for all but one of my championships, in fact.

hope that helps.
12/3/2009 8:51 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
12/3/2009 9:12 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By ashamael on 12/03/2009
87-88 (as well as 88-89 & 89-90) Charles Barkley is a beast. If I had the #3 pick in the ODL, I'd pick him. The only people I'd draft above him are 78-79 Moses and 91-92 Rodman. Yes, before Wilt, before Jordan, Bird, Magic or any other legend. He is dominant in $42 million leagues and gives you all kinds of things you need: high efg% (he'll shoot above 60% for the season), TONS of ftas, tons and tons of paint scoring, lots of offensive boards, good support on the defensive boards, plus he'll get you 100 steals and a 100 blocks over the course of the year. He will turn the ball over a lot, though... more than 4 times a game. But the trade-off is definitely worth it.

01-02 Paul Pierce is a beast (and gives you a lot of 3s, which you lack with your concept). So is 02-03 Tracy McGrady.

Several Reggie Millers work well (96-97 is my fav - most 3s and incredibly low tov%, something u need with your concept).

05-06 Antawn Jamison gives you some nice defensive boards, a good number of 3s, lot of points and extremely few turnovers. Doesn't get to the line much, though. Don't be afraid of his 44% fg% - it turns into 47/48% with usually 42-44% from beyond the arch. Love pairing him with Barkley. Of course, both are among my favorite players of all-time, but they do work nicely together.

05-06 Chauncey Billups. Gives you everything you need to help your old-school concept - tons of 3s, few turnovers, few fouls. Lot of ftas, too. He'll give you 250 threes at around 50% with 11+ apg with less than 3 topg. And he plays defense (as much or as little as that means in the sim). He does have games where he shoots in the crapper, but he's always been pretty clutch for me. He's been the PG for all but one of my championships, in fact.

hope that helps.

It does thanks, but pick 1 guy.
12/3/2009 9:14 PM
88 Barkley.
12/3/2009 9:34 PM
Barkley is the best overall - and I think I made that pretty clear with the the 2nd and 3rd sentences of my first response.

But the best that would help your concept is a different story. This is because your concept is not suited to do well in the current version of the sim. That's because the current sim is really high on threes, and few of the guys pre-73 shoot enough threes (and none at a high enough %) to do it for you. Also most of the guys pre-73 have high *cough* fabricated *cough* turnovers. So you're looking for someone who'll help make up these problems by drafting someone with a high usage, who hits a lot of threes, and has a low tov%. The one guy I think that would help the most in this respect is McGrady (02-03 version), but Mr. Big Shot (05-06) is a close second.

And if you only use a guy once, well, then you've got a whole list to choose from for future teams!
12/3/2009 11:49 PM
I think this would be a decent starting 5 for ur team colonels19:

69-70 Oscar Robertson, 71-72 Walt Frazier, 89-90 Charles Barkley, 68-69 Wes Unseld, 57-58 Bill Russell

Just make sure that at least 2 of the 3 (Robertson, Frazier, Barkley) are on the court at all times.
12/4/2009 4:41 PM
For me the most sucessful player has been 88-89 Micheal Jordan. He just dominates with a 22.8 assist %.

12/4/2009 5:14 PM
88-89 mj got me my first title...and my point guard was steve kerr/ron harper....love that 22.8 assist
12/4/2009 5:45 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By ashamael on 12/04/2009Barkley is the best overall - and I think I made that pretty clear with the the 2nd and 3rd sentences of my first response.

But the best that would help your concept is a different story. This is because your concept is not suited to do well in the current version of the sim. That's because the current sim is really high on threes, and few of the guys pre-73 shoot enough threes (and none at a high enough %) to do it for you. Also most of the guys pre-73 have high *cough* fabricated *cough* turnovers. So you're looking for someone who'll help make up these problems by drafting someone with a high usage, who hits a lot of threes, and has a low tov%. The one guy I think that would help the most in this respect is McGrady (02-03 version), but Mr. Big Shot (05-06) is a close second.

And if you only use a guy once, well, then you've got a whole list to choose from for future teams
Thank you, and I apologize for not seeing that you said Barkley was the best...I admittedly just skimmed over your post, though there's a lot of valuable and pertinent info contained within. Thanks again.
12/4/2009 9:25 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By ncmusician_7 on 12/04/2009
I think this would be a decent starting 5 for ur team colonels19:

69-70 Oscar Robertson, 71-72 Walt Frazier, 89-90 Charles Barkley, 68-69 Wes Unseld, 57-58 Bill Russell

Just make sure that at least 2 of the 3 (Robertson, Frazier, Barkley) are on the court at all times.

Thanks, I might actually run with this, but we'll see.
12/4/2009 9:26 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By eleibowitz on 12/04/2009
For me the most sucessful player has been 88-89 Micheal Jordan. He just dominates with a 22.8 assist %.

I've used a Jordan season before...1992 I believe...I'll let you know what my record was with him tomorrow.
12/4/2009 9:28 PM
np man

refresh me on this: In your concept, can you/do you use ABA players or is it NBA only?
12/5/2009 2:02 AM
12 Next ▸
Best NBA Sim Player Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.