PER + MID + PNT = 99 or 101 Topic

I just accidentally discovered these guys are not 100%.

07-08 Dwight Howard - 0, 10, 89
94-95 Chris Mullin - 27, 45, 29
84-85 Mo Cheeks - 4, 56, 41
96-97 Muggsy Bogues - 33, 42, 26

Can this be fixed / checked before the new players are released?
4/28/2010 11:09 AM
I'm guessing this is a rounding issue and not really a big deal.
4/28/2010 11:11 AM
really? rounding? so... why even have any numbers that don't end in 0 or 5 then or whatever they round it up or down to, if that's what you mean.
4/28/2010 11:18 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By garyman on 4/28/2010really? rounding? so... why even have any numbers that don't end in 0 or 5 then or whatever they round it up or down to, if that's what you mean
I see what you're saying, but I just don't see it as a big deal. I'm willing to bet that the UNROUNDED numbers/percents are actually what's used, however for cosmetic purposes (no decimals) that's how the numbers are displayed. Its not like you're finding 95s and 105s.
4/28/2010 11:22 AM
Dunno what else to say about the whole rounding theory unless we get a definitive answer from someone about that.

But.. as it stands now, I'm personally not very happy my best player (Dwight Howard) is only 99% while my opponent's 2 point guards (Cheeks and Bogues) are both 101% for my next game in the Kfunk league. That's 3% total, actually. I also have the Mullin I listed above but he's a scrub and plays just 2 minutes a game, if even that, so his 101% isn't as prominent.

My opponent's team is better than mine already anyway and if it gives any kind of advantage to him or disadvantage to my team, that's clearly not needed. Even if it was the other way around and my team was the better one, I would still like to be playing on a level playing field.
4/28/2010 11:34 AM
It doesn't make as big of a difference as you're making it out to be...so Dwight Howard's paint rating is 89 out of 99 instead of 89 out of 100...this doesn't even matter...the usages aren't affected, and you make it seem like because your opponent has a few 101s, that he has an advantage...HE DOESN'T. PER-MID-PNT just determine where the shots are taken from, not who or how many shots are taken.

Trust me, I'm one of the biggest critics of the NBA sim and if I say that this isn't a problem, then it really probably isn't one. The affect that you think this has, compared to the actual affect that it does have, is considerably off.
4/28/2010 12:12 PM
Why do we all look at the ratings then if it doesn't even matter?
Why do we all want to space the floor with high Per and high Pnt if it doesn't matter? Is my team better if Howard has 90% PNT instead of 89%? Hell yeah, it is. And you are ABSOLUTELY WRONG if you think otherwise, Trevor.

Just because you think it doesn't matter doesn't mean it doesn't matter.
4/28/2010 1:10 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By garyman on 4/28/2010
Why do we all look at the ratings then if it doesn't even matter?
Why do we all want to space the floor with high Per & high Pnt if it doesn't matter? Is my team better if Howard has 90% PNT instead of 89%? Hell yeah, it is. And you are ABSOLUTELY WRONG if you think otherwise, Trevor.

Just because you think it doesn't matter doesn't mean it doesn't matter.
Garyman

89 out of 99 is 89.899%

90 out of 100 is 90.000%

You're griping about a tenth of a percent difference that is most likely already accounted for in the actual numbers that are used. You're really making a big deal out of nothing...I mean, I wouldn't even gripe about this. I still fail to see how your opponent(s) has/gets an advantage in this situation.
4/28/2010 3:05 PM
I look at the shot distribution as just that: shot distribution. usg% still determines how often your guys shoots, and if 89.499999% of the time Dwight shoots from the paint, 10.4999999% of the time he shoots from midrange, and the remaining 0.00000000000002% of the time he shoots from the perimeter, I'm cool with that. I really don't care where he shoots from. I just try and get a good balance between paint and perimeter, and the difference is minimal. If rounding isn't at play (it is, though), then we're talking about a 0.101% difference. Let me write that another way. 0.00101 difference.

Not a big deal bro.
4/28/2010 4:05 PM
I understand what usage % is thanks, ash. But I never even mentioned usage or shot distribution amongst players in any of my posts. Not really sure why you guys are talking about that.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying ash. It still seems to me like a small, careless mistake that could be easily fixed though.

I'm going to drop this because there is too much math involved now when you start talking about .000000000000002% or whatever you said.

This is basketball?
4/28/2010 9:06 PM
Didn't mean to imply that I thought you didn't know what usage was. I just don't (didn't) understand what you're upset about, that's all.
4/29/2010 3:50 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By ashamael on 4/29/2010Didn't mean to imply that I thought you didn't know what usage was. I just don't (didn't) understand what you're upset about, that's all
Agreed, you're griping about something that 2 of the NBA sims worst critics (me and ash) are A. Saying isn't a big deal and B. giving the benefit of the doubt to WIS that the 3 numbers actually add up to 100 even and the decimals just aren't displayed for cosmetic purposes.
4/29/2010 11:15 AM
Whose opinion it is doesn't matter, critic or not. If its important to garyman it should carry the same weight any anything a critic puts forth. Because a critic dismisses it does not mean it should end there.

I agree its a non factor in the game but surely an easy fix.
4/29/2010 3:09 PM
I'm just saying it adds further creedence for 2 noted WIS "haters" to be backing the WIS side of this argument. I almost always think that the arguer has a point, but in this instance, gary is making a big deal about something that probably isn't broken in the first place. If he had a leg to stand on, I would have said so.
4/29/2010 3:21 PM
Oh... o.k., you say he doesn;t have a leg to stand on so thats that.

Once WIS chimes in and agrees with you, then you will be on the WIS side of the issue. As of right now you are only against garyman's inquiry as to whether it can be fixed.

"Just because you think it doesn't matter doesn't mean it doesn't matter. "
4/29/2010 5:29 PM
12 Next ▸
PER + MID + PNT = 99 or 101 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.