5/19 Release Survey Results Topic

Quote: Originally Posted By seble on 5/30/2008You don't have to be playing in a league to view player information, which is what the survey was asking about
But you can't really gauge how good or bad the game is if you don't play. The ratings and ranges on paper don't mean anything...its all what they mean and how they react while they're in practice...what a concept huh?
5/30/2008 2:13 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By longtallbrad on 5/30/2008
Quote: Originally Posted By cenquist on 5/30/2008

Seble, is there anyway you could redo this survey but send it to the top 50 or 100 owners in the NBA sim according to money spent on the site or total teams purchased? I would really like to see the difference. If there is no difference I would shut my yap and continue to let you do your fine work. ( and I am not being sarcastic since I really love this site and the nba sim )

I see your point but I wonder if that would really get you the clarity you're wanting. I suspect that top 100 (according to money) would include at least a few folks who are happy to spend oodles of money and time on the site, have uneven success at it, and are likely to continue doing so no matter what changes are or aren't made. But you'd probably miss out on the input of some owners who invest money at a much slower rate than many of us but do extremely well at the sim and know their hoops (abrondon and bball_jones come to mind). I don't know if there's a perfect way to parse the survey results. Just my two cents.
I don't disagree with you there, but I most of the "vocal" owners on this site spend a good chunk of change. There are what 50-80 owners who play the themes and patrol the forums. These other owners who only play OL/and high cap themes ( which I am not saying anything bad about them ) I am guessing are big part of the % that like the new D settings. And I really would like to know from that 30%, why they like the new D settings. We have heard enough negative things about the D settings. I want to see why someone thinks they are great.
5/30/2008 2:16 PM
Well, I agree with you there. Maybe you're right...the dissatisfied vocal minority on the D ratings could be largely those who happen to be active posters in these forums, and who frequent the more challenging theme leagues. I also would love to hear from a number of owners who like the new D ratings.
5/30/2008 2:45 PM
We consider all input when making decisions, including survey results, forum discussion, and our own impressions. We're not going to look at the survey results and disregard all of the forum discussion. Your voices are being heard.
5/30/2008 2:54 PM
Seble, would you be able to post something in ALL NBA sim season threads. Asking all owners who like or dislike the new D ratings to post in a thread that you create and please post the link as well? I would really like to hear others thoughts aside from the "vocal" group that only patrols the forums.
5/30/2008 2:56 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By cenquist on 5/30/2008I would really like to hear from the owners who said they like think the new ratings are better than the old ratings....
I think some are considering them "better" because its easier/helpful when building teams (and not because they reflect a player's defensive prowess more accurately) or its beneficial to them, the owner.

I think if the question was worded to say "Do you think the new defensive ratings are more accurate than previous editions then the answer ratio may have turned out different. But to know for certain you need to find the ones who said they were better.... and I was not one of them.
5/30/2008 3:03 PM
You have a very good point there Coley.....I would like to hear admins response to that.
5/30/2008 4:17 PM
It's possible that some people misinterpreted the question, but really we're more interested in the second question. I have a feeling that adjusting the All-Defense boost and exposing Stop% should make everybody happier.
5/30/2008 4:43 PM
why arent D Howard and Stoudemire 100% at PF and Russell is? And DON'T give me height and weight
5/30/2008 4:45 PM
I think it has more to do with vertical-ness and mass. That whole height and weight thing was just to throw us off!
5/30/2008 5:33 PM

With the excess of negativity that has been on these forums lately, who would want to open themselves up to the intense criticism of the "vocal" few by saying anything remotely positive about the new changes? Some folks posting on here don't exactly have an open mind about some of these issues and appear quite vengeful.

My survey response was "no difference". I don't necessarily think it is any more or less accurate than before (...I know there were others who were upset with the defensive ratings before they were changed). Perfect accuracy is not necessarily what was fun about WIS to me anyway.

I play on this site because the SIM is a really intriguing concept and competitive; another highlight for me is that the game changes often enough to keep it from becoming too stale.

Truth is, it just isn't possible to generate systems that accurately quantify every nuance of a sport as complex as basketball. At least we have a working model here, and as long as the playing field is level for every owner, I'm in.

5/30/2008 7:05 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By cdstober on 5/30/2008

With the excess of negativity that has been on these forums lately, who would want to open themselves up to the intense criticism of the "vocal" few by saying anything remotely positive about the new changes? Some folks posting on here don't exactly have an open mind about some of these issues and appear quite vengeful.

You are right about that. But of the "vocal" owners that doesn't sum us all up in that catagory. Some of us do have an open mind about these things though.

My survey response was "no difference". I don't necessarily think it is any more or less accurate than before (...I know there were others who were upset with the defensive ratings before they were changed). Perfect accuracy is not necessarily what was fun about WIS to me anyway.

Again you are right, it will never be perfect. And there were some D ratings that some people felt incorrect. But I would like to know why you think the ratings aren't any more or less accurate then before since they changed pretty considerably for some players. LeBron was the example thrown around by alot of owners.

I play on this site because the SIM is a really intriguing concept and competitive; another highlight for me is that the game changes often enough to keep it from becoming too stale.

I agree with this statemen above. I would only add in the strong community of owners in the theme leagues that I play also helps keep me playing.

5/30/2008 8:06 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By seble on 5/30/2008
Agreed, but there's not really a way to measure how much an owner cares about the game
Let's see.. one metric a lot of businesses use to measure how invested their customer is in the product is:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
5/30/2008 8:16 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By seble on 5/30/2008It's possible that some people misinterpreted the question, but really we're more interested in the second question. I have a feeling that adjusting the All-Defense boost and exposing Stop% should make everybody happier
Exposing the stop %s IS needed, especially since, in all actuality, they are the new defensive ratings.

It just confuses everyone to have 2 different "d ratings" when one of them is the true D rating the engine uses but isn't called D rating and then the other is a fake out D rating that means absolutely nothing in relation to the game.

And I know there was an overwhelming majority of people who wanted both shown but what's going to happen if the D ratings are still shown is that people will make teams based on the D ratings. Then they'll get upset because their team still doesn't play great D because the D ratings aren't used in the sim engine.. That's easily predicted.
5/31/2008 9:10 AM
The Stop% cannot take into effect off ball defense, positioning, and who is being guarded. There are good defenders on here, with bad ratings, because they constantly have to guard the other team star player.
5/31/2008 2:31 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
5/19 Release Survey Results Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.