Tanking - Out of position Topic

I just finished a '95 season in a progressive league. Mike Bordick (A/B at SS) played 2B for me, and he won the gold glove! In 96 games he had a .990 F%, 5 errors and 1 minus play.

Now granted that is not a legendary performance to win the gold glove, but I am really glad this league doesn't ban players out of position.
9/28/2009 1:58 PM
This does not address the tanking issue, but I was also in a franchise league 1970-present and I chose the Phillies. It had a salary cap (100 mil?) but I wanted to try some diffferent players together. I chose the Phillies.

I had Maddox in cf, Samuel(BB+) in lf and Utley(AA-) in rf. Cash (AC) at 2b. Each player started all 162. I had 250k defensive b/u's. The corner of's totaled @10 e's and @4 minus plays. Team won the division, stopped hitting and lost in 1st round. I was very suprised at how well the 2bmen did.

So I guess the theme of this topic is that players can play OOP w/o meaning the owner is tanking and can have success. It all depends on what player is playing where....
9/28/2009 4:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mattedesa on 9/26/2009I think it's subjective. I've been playing a 3B for most of my SS needs this year, because I have two good 3B and couldn't get a good SS in the draft. So in my case, playing an out of position player is better for my team than scrounging up some AAA SS to fill the innings.

I can see, however, that it's possible to take advantage of that and tank by putting players out of position. I think the best ways to deal with this are by making a win floor for getting a high draft pick.
I used 2004 Vinny Castilla at SS and he made a total of 8 errors all season. I also had Aramis Ramirez, so in this case i did it to get an extra bat in the line up. As you can see with the total errors made, this worked out very well for me.

Most of the progressives i am in have a win floor, i think that is 1 of the most effective ways to avoid tanking.
10/4/2009 6:43 PM
◂ Prev 12
Tanking - Out of position Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.