A) Where did your WIS moniker come from?
Always ready for a game of "hoops" as a kid. Did the whole shovel snow off driveways and play by streetlight. It's a wonder I never get frostbite.

B) What is your real (first) name?
Tommy

C) What part of the country/world do you live in?
Grew up in midwest (did I mention snow?! )

D) How did you find your way to WhatIfSports?
One of my long-time friends showed me a game log on his phone from a progressive he was in (early DSPL). An opening came up in that league a few months later (these were the days when progs filled in a day) and the commish (DSP) let me in

E) Do you have a favorite basketball player (or two or three) of all time?
Oscar Robertson / Magic / LeBron

F) How good a basketball player are you (or have you been) in real life?
All motor, hustle (and elbows), but average skills, yet I would try to guard anyone. High school varsity coach saw or heard of my Freshman tryout, though, and I was offered a spot on the bench -- as a statistician -- which I kept for four years . I often felt like an SID with local media by the time I graduated, as I handled all of the major sports.

G) What is your profession? (Or area of study, if you're a student, or main thing to which to devote time if you're retired, independently wealthy, etc.)
Computer Engineer

H) What do you for fun?
Playing and composing music. While I've worked with an awesome jazz trombonist, keys and strings are more my things (hehe).

I) What is something other owners might be surprised to learn about you?
I've designed both card based and computer basketball simulation games.
I recall that one of my classmates commenting that the sim was far too accurate and wanted me to tweak his model.
I once held (and used) an FCC broadcast license
6/14/2020 8:18 PM
so many musos!
6/14/2020 8:29 PM
Posted by copernicus on 6/14/2020 8:29:00 PM (view original):
so many musos!
Enough to make a SIMMY Band
6/14/2020 8:47 PM
YES! dueling trombone solos!
6/14/2020 9:00 PM
Posted by copernicus on 6/14/2020 9:01:00 PM (view original):
YES! dueling trombone solos!
playing "dueling banjos" ?
6/14/2020 9:27 PM
I mean we could start there...

but whatever we do we have like 8 guitarists playing rhythm and we push the trombones up front (as per usual drummers are sparse on the ground - if anyone from my generation ever wanted to have an actual career in music they should have taken up drums because for my cohort it was something like 800 guitar players to every 1 drummer - possibly because parents had absolutely 0.000 interest in gifting their children drum sets or having them take drum lessons)
6/14/2020 9:40 PM (edited)
in our rural neighborhood we had two drummers, several guitarists, a few pianists and a trumpet player. Many basement and garage band jam sessions. Parents would stuff the bass drums with pillows -- duh . . .
6/14/2020 10:28 PM

I used to use FoolsGold when I did WIS baseball, so everytime I come back I just alter the name.

Kenneth

Georgia

Bill Simmons article

Hakeem, loved watching his game. So smooth and the footwork was magical.

I can pass, rebound, and block. Dont ask me to dribble or shoot outside 3 feet

G) What is your profession? (Or area of study, if you're a student, or main thing to which to devote time if you're retired, independently wealthy, etc.)
I am a SAS Programmer and I am over a team of other programmers and analysts

H) What do you for fun?
I have a 2 and 6 year old that maintain all of my time.

I had more hair when I started WIS
6/14/2020 11:06 PM
It was my nickname at the time of the high school

Alessio

I am Italian and I live in Switzerland. Am I maybe the only non-American here?

Actually I do not remember! I used to play for many years only exhibition season, then I started this year during COVID with Open league seasons and theme season and I discovered another world!

Tim Duncan!

I played for 15+ years in Italy in amateur league, shooting guard who liked to brick from outside

Financial officer

H) What do you for fun?
I play chess, I travel!

The first NBA game I went to, I was 12 years old - Warriors Jazz 1998-99 season. I was so lucky that the Warriors mascot, during a time-out, shot with the ''air-gun'' a Warriors T-Shirt in my face
6/15/2020 5:35 AM
so many musos!
There has got be some sort of correlation between music being math and this basically being a math and statistics game
6/15/2020 11:40 AM
Posted by samuelyork93 on 6/15/2020 11:40:00 AM (view original):
so many musos!
There has got be some sort of correlation between music being math and this basically being a math and statistics game
Agreed. I spend the majority of my day using and building supply chain and production models in excel yet somehow I still enjoy my WIS excel file with all of my analysis. Analysis that has gotten me nowhere in this game of ours mind you!
6/15/2020 11:46 AM
Posted by samuelyork93 on 6/15/2020 11:40:00 AM (view original):
so many musos!
Godel, Escher, Bach baby
6/15/2020 12:39 PM
Big surprise- my first name and first letter of last name, and that username was taken so I added a 1.

Mike

Jersey City

Simmons article

This one is actually difficult- Charles Oakley, Kevin Garnett, Wilt Chamberlain

Played a lot in school, did not play in college (went to Villanova, so…) and my adult mens rec league career took a *pause* three years ago at 33.

Healthcare management- but the good kind, not the evil kind

H) What do you for fun?
**** away $10 a pop on ODL/DH52 draft leagues, play mobile games, bet on sports, play golf, etc

Played Iverson 1v1 at a basketball camp in 1997
6/15/2020 4:27 PM
Posted by mikee1 on 6/15/2020 4:27:00 PM (view original):
Big surprise- my first name and first letter of last name, and that username was taken so I added a 1.

Mike

Jersey City

Simmons article

This one is actually difficult- Charles Oakley, Kevin Garnett, Wilt Chamberlain

Played a lot in school, did not play in college (went to Villanova, so…) and my adult mens rec league career took a *pause* three years ago at 33.

Healthcare management- but the good kind, not the evil kind

H) What do you for fun?
**** away $10 a pop on ODL/DH52 draft leagues, play mobile games, bet on sports, play golf, etc

Played Iverson 1v1 at a basketball camp in 1997
AI -- 1v1
6/15/2020 4:56 PM
I remember a guy with the screen name jgreene posting similar questions back when I started in 2004

A) Where did your WIS moniker come from? first initial and last name
B) What is your real (first) name? Percy...(not it but it was a nickname due to an incorrect starting lineup announcement)
C) What part of the country/world do you live in? Pittsburgh PA
D) How did you find your way to WhatIfSports? Stan Savran sports radio show...he interviewed Tarek Kamil
E) Do you have a favorite basketball player (or two or three) of all time? Chet Walker, Walt Frazier, Larry Bird
F) How good a basketball player are you (or have you been) in real life? Started some and 6th man on HS team...we were above average team but not great. Point forward glue guy type. Shot inconsistent from outside 15 feet. Though in 1981 we didn't take many shots outside of 15. 80 to 90 on D though. Grew some after high school and was more accomplished player. Played into my 40s when I hung the shoes up.
G) What is your profession? (Or area of study, if you're a student, or main thing to which to devote time if you're retired, independently wealthy, etc.)...Teacher and high school basketball coach
H) What do you for fun? Coach basketball...run 5k's and 10k's ...hang with mrs. pharrop
I) What is something other owners might be surprised to learn about you? The first NBA game I attended saw Bernard King score 55 in MSG. Had WIS screen name bballjunkie3 as well but did not survive the merger.
6/16/2020 1:13 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.