It’s a nice way to backup his 12 minutes with usage, defense and assists to match and can play next to him for a bit as well
2/25/2021 8:14 PM
I'm kind of surprised so many are surprised at my selection of Gary Payton. Is it the salary? For me it was a no-brainer at this point. The pickins' were slim. The only other guy on my radar was Mookie. Other than him, it was a lot of meh.

It must be the salary. He doesn't get drafted in ODL. But he's a 3rd round pick in DH52. In savage he's a high 2nd. And he's already been banned in the banned league, and I won 3 straight championships with him there.

90D, 520 3's, Tier 3 usage, 16% CRB, 27.2% Ast%, 50% shooting but with a very good 10% TOV, super low fouls ... that's elite level. And while 9 million is expensive, he's good for 3400 minutes, which makes him pretty reasonable at that price point.

Anyway, I never get offended, and I welcome the input, but I have to admit I'm scratching my head as to who I may have missed. Seriously ... KJ? Mookie? Terrell Brandon? Am I missing someone? Just curious. Maybe someone will name a player and I'll slap my head and go DUH! I just can't think of anyone. I literally hated almost everyone that was left. LOL.
2/25/2021 8:51 PM
I was more surprised at what you decided to do rather than who you decided to pick. Glove is fine, and it's weird to me that he's no longer picked here, but I guess the player pool has just grown so much in the past five years or so. Low turnovers, high defense, expensive but a lot of minutes, so not really that expensive per minute.

I was afraid of you going Gilmore honestly. I almost took him in round 6 just to keep you from taking him. And round 5. If I wasn't going out of my way to do something specific - which may be and probably is a mistake - I would have scooped him up in round 4 and been ecstatic to get a guy that used to go in the top 20 in every ODL. I am still halfway tempted to use him since he didn't get drafted.
2/25/2021 10:10 PM
Posted by kinoa1 on 2/25/2021 8:51:00 PM (view original):
I'm kind of surprised so many are surprised at my selection of Gary Payton. Is it the salary? For me it was a no-brainer at this point. The pickins' were slim. The only other guy on my radar was Mookie. Other than him, it was a lot of meh.

It must be the salary. He doesn't get drafted in ODL. But he's a 3rd round pick in DH52. In savage he's a high 2nd. And he's already been banned in the banned league, and I won 3 straight championships with him there.

90D, 520 3's, Tier 3 usage, 16% CRB, 27.2% Ast%, 50% shooting but with a very good 10% TOV, super low fouls ... that's elite level. And while 9 million is expensive, he's good for 3400 minutes, which makes him pretty reasonable at that price point.

Anyway, I never get offended, and I welcome the input, but I have to admit I'm scratching my head as to who I may have missed. Seriously ... KJ? Mookie? Terrell Brandon? Am I missing someone? Just curious. Maybe someone will name a player and I'll slap my head and go DUH! I just can't think of anyone. I literally hated almost everyone that was left. LOL.
Payton is fine. I think a lot of people's default is LeBron at point.
2/25/2021 10:14 PM

Payton is fine. I think a lot of people's default is LeBron at point.

That's probably true, and if you can draft a front court guy or two with high assists, it makes sense. Otherwise, playing him at SG (or getting a SG with Lebron-esque ast%) makes sense, too.
2/25/2021 10:25 PM
Posted by ashamael on 2/25/2021 10:10:00 PM (view original):
I was more surprised at what you decided to do rather than who you decided to pick. Glove is fine, and it's weird to me that he's no longer picked here, but I guess the player pool has just grown so much in the past five years or so. Low turnovers, high defense, expensive but a lot of minutes, so not really that expensive per minute.

I was afraid of you going Gilmore honestly. I almost took him in round 6 just to keep you from taking him. And round 5. If I wasn't going out of my way to do something specific - which may be and probably is a mistake - I would have scooped him up in round 4 and been ecstatic to get a guy that used to go in the top 20 in every ODL. I am still halfway tempted to use him since he didn't get drafted.
I had a pretty sick team built around Gilmore, although it was a tough build and had more holes than this team because of his salary. But ... I don't know ... it didn't feel right using him. I feel like if I'm given a challenge to win without picks, then I should try to win with guys that don't get picked. I'm comfortable with the guys I selected knowing that if it succeeds it won't be because I took advantage of a glitch like Gilmore falling out.
2/25/2021 11:11 PM
Posted by kinoa1 on 2/25/2021 11:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ashamael on 2/25/2021 10:10:00 PM (view original):

I had a pretty sick team built around Gilmore, although it was a tough build and had more holes than this team because of his salary. But ... I don't know ... it didn't feel right using him. I feel like if I'm given a challenge to win without picks, then I should try to win with guys that don't get picked. I'm comfortable with the guys I selected knowing that if it succeeds it won't be because I took advantage of a glitch like Gilmore falling out.
mad respect, dawg.
2/26/2021 3:47 AM
Posted by kinoa1 on 2/25/2021 8:51:00 PM (view original):

Yeah, it's the salary for me; you pay a premium because he plays so many minutes. And for that you get a pretty mediocre scoring package (though he does other things really well - like not turn the ball over, which is a theme for your highest-usage players). It's just tough to have two $9 million+ salary players in this league, from a cap perspective. But as notorious says it makes sense that you can play Payton as Lebron's backup and next to him, too.

I'm interested to see who the rest of the picks are and how the rotation shakes out. Is Butler backing up Payton/Lebron and backing up the 3 with the rest of his minutes? Or is he starting at the 3 with others backing up Lebron/Payton?

2/26/2021 8:47 AM
Good points. I understand the cap issue, and I would have much preferred to split him up into 2 less expensive players. But the cupboard was pretty bare.

As for starter/backup ... I don't really build teams that way. I look at the overall numbers. My goal was 8 points of efficient usage and 40% assists at all times at the guard positions, with enough left over to move to SF so that my overall team usage was set. That way I could grab a couple of low usage, high value board/Defense guys without worrying about their effect on my overall team efficiency.
2/26/2021 12:29 PM
Division Draft
benhoidal kinoa1 robusk bds9992
redbooda beloud rjk781 HDS1
sappy tau1624 jhsukow ysw128
gerryred 24kpyrite NotoriousJ jackedjamie
copernicus Midge jcred5 jkaye24
tarheel1991 pharrop ashamael dh555
_
_
_
redbooda redbooda redbooda redbooda
rjk2781 beloud rjk2781 HDS1
sappy tau1624 beloud ysw128
beloud rjk2781 sappy beloud
ysw128 24kpyrite jhsukow rjk2781
HDS1 HDS1 HDS1 jackedjamie
jhsukow ysw128 ysw128 tau1624
gerryred jackedjamie NotoriousJ jhsukow
copernicus NotoriousJ copernicus gerryred
tau1624 jhsukow Midge sappy
Midge Midge 24kpyrite jcred5
jcred5 pharrop tau1624 jkaye24
jackedjamie sappy gerryred pharrop
NotoriousJ copernicus jackedjamie Midge
24kpyrite jkaye24 jcred5 ashamael
tarheel1991 gerryred tarheel1991 NotoriousJ
jkaye24 ashamael ashamael 24kpyrite
pharrop tarheel1991 dh555 tarheel1991
ashamael jcred5 jkaye24 copernicus
dh555 dh555 pharrop dh555
2/27/2021 8:14 AM
◂ Prev 1...18|19|20

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.