A) Where did your WIS moniker come from? - I created this account when I had absurd expectations for myself and thought I could make it to the NBA.

B) What is your real (first) name? - Paul

C) What part of the country/world do you live in? - Born (but not raised) in south Detroit (or the suburbs south of it). Spent a lot of time in Texas with the Army before moving back to Michigan.

D) How did you find your way to WhatIfSports? - Read about it in an issue of Sports Illustrated over a decade ago. Decided to try it out.

E) Do you have a favorite basketball player (or two or three) of all time? - Three favorite are Chauncey Billups, Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace. Have a soft spot for Paul Pierce and Chris Paul, due to the name association. Owe a lot of my playing style to Bill Laimbeer and Marcus Smart.

F) How good a basketball player are you (or have you been) in real life? - I played in middle school and part of high school. I’m terrible at playing on an organized team, but I was really good 1v1 until I messed up my knees. I actually beat 3 of the starters on my D2 college’s team in 1v1, and 1 I lost to (the C, who had 10 inches and 60 lbs on me) I beat in HORSE.

G) What is your profession? Part-time security guard while I work on a Masters in Accounting

H) What do you for fun? - I love martial arts. I have organized training in karate, taekwondo, Krav Maga, and BJJ. I have unofficial training in boxing and wrestling.

I) What is something other owners might be surprised to learn about you? - I’ve met multiple former professional athletes and coaches, including John Beilein, Tom Izzo, Ray McCallum, Joe Dumars, Brandon Inge, and Igor Larionov.
6/16/2020 9:52 PM
damn you for putting that song in my head...
6/16/2020 10:05 PM
A) Where did your WIS moniker come from?
Nickname some random dude I worked with in a grocery store when I first started doing stuff I needed a handle for. I used it for everything from like 1996 - 2010 before I realized how dumb it sounded. The guy who gave it to me was like the Rob Schneider copy machine sketch from SNL.

B) What is your real (first) name?
Rob

C) What part of the country/world do you live in?
The rose city, Portland, OR. I moved a lot as a kid, then the Army, then various jobs. I wasn't usually anywhere for very long but this is really home.

D) How did you find your way to WhatIfSports?
F'ing Simmons

E) Do you have a favorite basketball player (or two or three) of all time?
From the age of 11 - 32 it was Alonzo Mourning. Once I moved to Portland and became a season ticket holder, it was Dame. I have always had a soft spot for hustle guys like Ed Davis though. I also love most Michigan State players since that is where my Master's is from.

F) How good a basketball player are you (or have you been) in real life?
I was Grant Long if he was the size of Chris Quinn. So not great. Once I got into freshman year of high school, I was on a rec team with two dudes who played in college and one dude who played a handful of seasons in the NBA. I never played and I quit playing that season and moved onto crew, which I was significantly better at (good enough to get recruited by multiple schools for college).

G) What is your profession? (Or area of study, if you're a student, or main thing to which to devote time if you're retired, independently wealthy, etc.)
I am a consultant for a software company helping clients design route optimization solutions.

H) What do you for fun?
Pre-kid, a lot of surfing, camping and visiting vineyards with my wife. Post-kid, mostly going on bike trips with my daughter to various outdoor places she can play. Also getting really uppity with local politicians about housing density and transportation problems (f*** nimby's).

I) What is something other owners might be surprised to learn about you?
Despite being just a garden variety white dude, I was a Vietnamese translator for the Army for 9 years (6 active).
6/16/2020 11:26 PM
Posted by hoopsdude on 6/16/2020 9:52:00 PM (view original):
A) Where did your WIS moniker come from? - I created this account when I had absurd expectations for myself and thought I could make it to the NBA.

C) What part of the country/world do you live in? - Born (but not raised) in south Detroit (or the suburbs south of it). Spent a lot of time in Texas with the Army before moving back to Michigan.

D) How did you find your way to WhatIfSports? - Read about it in an issue of Sports Illustrated over a decade ago. Decided to try it out.

E) Do you have a favorite basketball player (or two or three) of all time? - Three favorite are Chauncey Billups, Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace. Have a soft spot for Paul Pierce and Chris Paul, due to the name association. Owe a lot of my playing style to Bill Laimbeer and Marcus Smart.

F) How good a basketball player are you (or have you been) in real life? - I played in middle school and part of high school. I’m terrible at playing on an organized team, but I was really good 1v1 until I messed up my knees. I actually beat 3 of the starters on my D2 college’s team in 1v1, and 1 I lost to (the C, who had 10 inches and 60 lbs on me) I beat in HORSE.

G) What is your profession? Part-time security guard while I work on a Masters in Accounting

H) What do you for fun? - I love martial arts. I have organized training in karate, taekwondo, Krav Maga, and BJJ. I have unofficial training in boxing and wrestling.

I) What is something other owners might be surprised to learn about you? - I’ve met multiple former professional athletes and coaches, including John Beilein, Tom Izzo, Ray McCallum, Joe Dumars, Brandon Inge, and Igor Larionov.
Where in Michigan are you? My wife is from Ann Arbor and I lived there for 5 years (where we met).

What was your MOS?
6/16/2020 11:27 PM
Posted by thohoops on 6/14/2020 8:18:00 PM (view original):
Always ready for a game of "hoops" as a kid. Did the whole shovel snow off driveways and play by streetlight. It's a wonder I never get frostbite.

Tommy

Grew up in midwest (did I mention snow?! )

One of my long-time friends showed me a game log on his phone from a progressive he was in (early DSPL). An opening came up in that league a few months later (these were the days when progs filled in a day) and the commish (DSP) let me in

Oscar Robertson / Magic / LeBron

All motor, hustle (and elbows), but average skills, yet I would try to guard anyone. High school varsity coach saw or heard of my Freshman tryout, though, and I was offered a spot on the bench -- as a statistician -- which I kept for four years . I often felt like an SID with local media by the time I graduated, as I handled all of the major sports.

G) What is your profession? (Or area of study, if you're a student, or main thing to which to devote time if you're retired, independently wealthy, etc.)
Computer Engineer

H) What do you for fun?
Playing and composing music. While I've worked with an awesome jazz trombonist, keys and strings are more my things (hehe).

I've designed both card based and computer basketball simulation games.
I recall that one of my classmates commenting that the sim was far too accurate and wanted me to tweak his model.
I once held (and used) an FCC broadcast license
Anything we might have played?
6/16/2020 11:31 PM
Posted by ashamael on 6/14/2020 7:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by quaker128 on 6/14/2020 7:20:00 PM (view original):
Oh sh*t I remember MaddenMania. I used to download each year's NCAA football rosters from there and import them with sharkport. The good ol days.
Yup. They merged with Operation Sports, and while the extra resources were nice, the community was just very different. I still go back there every once in a while for stuff. Considering picking up 2k20; some interesting rosters available there.
I used to use it for sliders, but I quit playing video games from 2004 - 2017. I only picked it up again after I had a kid since I couldn't just go do something out of the house every night of the week anymore. No sports games though.
6/16/2020 11:34 PM
Posted by benhoidal on 6/14/2020 10:57:00 PM (view original):
I was an idiot and used my real name...

Ben

St. Paul, Minnesota

Read something from Bill Simmons back when I thought he was a good analyst.

Kevin Garnett and it's not close. Grant Hill is probably second. At my 1st grade book fair there was one basketball book and it was a Grant Hill biography. Also love Ben Wallace and Steve Nash. Nowadays I like Steph, Giannis, Karl, Jokic, and Harden.

I played college basketball for four years at a D3 school in Minnesota. Captain my senior year. Very good role player with limited athleticism. All-time 3 point percentage record holder for my high school (51.5%), college (54.6%), and college conference (61.5%). Think prime Fred Hoiberg with some old man Manu guile and a little extra passing and D (provided the guy I was guarding wasn't too quick).

I am a special education teacher specializing with emotional behavior students. Went to school for math and stats and was part way through a statistics grad program before deciding I couldn't stand being behind a desk all day. One of the best decisions I ever made.

H) What do you for fun?
I play basketball as much as I can. I coach a high school basketball team. I read a lot (mostly fantasy and science fiction plus as many basketball books as I can get my hands on). I love pretty much any and every board game ever invented. My wife and I love to travel to other countries, although that is on hold for a bit now that we just had our daughter.

I don't really have anything crazy here. I bet a couple of my above answers surprised some people.
I somehow knew you played low D college ball, but you are better than I recall knowing.
6/16/2020 11:37 PM
Posted by gerryred on 6/14/2020 9:39:00 PM (view original):
Nickname my sister gave me when we were young ( my name is Gerald and I have red hair ).

B) What is your real (first) name
?see above

Born and raised in West Virginia, lived in east Texas the past 30 years...

FoxSports sent me a free season credit ( I was active in some Fox fantasy football leagues ).

Grew up in W.Va. idolizing Jerry West. As a young teenager I fell for Dave Cowens during his rookie season, and I closely followed him the rest of his outstanding , overachieving career. Today I love watching Steph :)

During high school and my twenties, my friends and I played regularly, renting a community center gym once a week each winter. I was about average for our group ~

Semi-retired convenience store operator ( I sold all my stores except for my favorite one ).

H) What do you for fun?
My wife and I cruise two or three times a year, and I go to *VEGAS* at least twice a year $$

I have a world class collection of over 3,000 SEE,HEAR,SPEAK NO EVIL memorabilia. Yep. Figurines,coins,clothing,dolls,toys,artwork,carvings,photos,knives,swords,books,jewelry,candles,candy and on and on and ON LOL

https://www.palestineherald.com/community/a-no-evil-collection-to-die-for/article_1e0cbd3e-a092-11e6-8961-afc117261199.html?fbclid=IwAR220GtqsuJvQ5saVfksjl22aHns4XYFWFzqWK2XbYp2RFF8j9YwCxRD0C0
That collection is really something.

Somehow you look exactly like how I picture you in my head based on what I observe on this website.
6/16/2020 11:49 PM

MP are my first and last initials. Treys are what I shoot.

Matt

East Coast Canada.

I used to frequent a message board called insidehoops when I was young. Probably around 2007 a poster by the name of Glove_20 started a free sim league using this engine. It was a very laborious process to do it for free, but I was like 15 and had no income at the time (I assume most of the others were in the same boat). We made all of our teams in the Dream Team Center, set our rotations, simmed the match-ups one by one and ran the league that way. It then became kind of a tradition where 10-15 of us would join and we would have pur own kind of theme leagues (all time, single season draft, etc).

It was tremendously fun but I had no idea what I was doing at the time and just picking players off name value and getting destroyed. I never came back to the site because A) I forgot about it at times and B) I thought the price point was too high. Wish I bit the bullet and joined a little earlier though. This has become onbof my favorite past times.

Allen Iverson was the player I fell in love with when I first started watching basketball. Then along came LeBron James, and I've been stanning ever since. I also love watching Kyrie, he's like AI 2.0.

I was the star player on my high school team, but we had a grad class of like 30 and the average player in our league was probably 5'10 with a 25 inch vertical.

G) What is your profession?

My lack of ambition and drive in life generally has me bouncing ****** warehouse jobs but I've got a decent manufacturing job at a tissue plant right now

H) What do you for fun?

Play basketball, watch basketball, listen to rap music, freestyle with my friends (I'm trash but I have fun). Video games (mostly sports games and RPG's like Witcher, Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, etc.)

Idk dude I live a pretty mundane life. I'm watching Dark on Netflix right now. Go check that out if you haven't seen it yet.
6/17/2020 1:02 AM
Posted by robusk on 6/16/2020 11:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by thohoops on 6/14/2020 8:18:00 PM (view original):
Always ready for a game of "hoops" as a kid. Did the whole shovel snow off driveways and play by streetlight. It's a wonder I never get frostbite.

Tommy

Grew up in midwest (did I mention snow?! )

One of my long-time friends showed me a game log on his phone from a progressive he was in (early DSPL). An opening came up in that league a few months later (these were the days when progs filled in a day) and the commish (DSP) let me in

Oscar Robertson / Magic / LeBron

All motor, hustle (and elbows), but average skills, yet I would try to guard anyone. High school varsity coach saw or heard of my Freshman tryout, though, and I was offered a spot on the bench -- as a statistician -- which I kept for four years . I often felt like an SID with local media by the time I graduated, as I handled all of the major sports.

Computer Engineer

H) What do you for fun?
Playing and composing music. While I've worked with an awesome jazz trombonist, keys and strings are more my things (hehe).

I've designed both card based and computer basketball simulation games.
I recall that one of my classmates commenting that the sim was far too accurate and wanted me to tweak his model.
I once held (and used) an FCC broadcast license
Anything we might have played?
Alas, no, but the games kept us entertained quite a bit in high school, where friends served as play-testers.
I still have one season's worth of cards that I made by hand in the 70's on the shelf in my home office.
It borrows the general format from Strat-o-Matic (which also entertained our neighborhood), but I tailored it for hooping.
Filled many notebooks with long-hand calculations to determine how to distribute the game effects on each player's card

I have kept game concept notes since way back when for "whenever I have time to write programs for fun again".
On the bright side, when that day comes, I will have a richer set of languages to choose from than when I started programming
6/17/2020 4:34 AM
Posted by robusk on 6/16/2020 11:27:00 PM (view original):

Where in Michigan are you? My wife is from Ann Arbor and I lived there for 5 years (where we met).

What was your MOS?
I’m actually living in Ann Arbor currently. Want to move back out to Grand Rapids at some point though. I was a 35N (signals intelligence analyst) for the Army.
6/17/2020 9:17 AM
Posted by hoopsdude on 6/17/2020 9:17:00 AM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 6/16/2020 11:27:00 PM (view original):

What was your MOS?
I’m actually living in Ann Arbor currently. Want to move back out to Grand Rapids at some point though. I was a 35N (signals intelligence analyst) for the Army.
Nice. My wife and I both lived right downtown; she lived in an apartment near Liberty and Main and I lived at Liberty and 7th. Our first date was at Jolly Pumpkin.

Grand Rapids is cool but I don't think I could live there. The overwhelming presence of Amway and all that comes with it is too much for me.

I think when I was in 35N was 98C. I was a 98G which is now 35P I think.
6/17/2020 1:00 PM

Ah, I've been wondering if there were any other martial arts junkies on this site. I train in karate, taekwondo, and BJJ, and used to train in Krav Maga but eventually make the schedule work. All the studios in this region of the country are closed due to COVID, so I'm climbing the walls. I can't wait to get back to real training.
6/17/2020 1:35 PM
I've lifted weights since i was 17(now 45) and did amature bodybuilding shows. Nothing crazy though i'm only 170lbs at 5'4 though lol, so my friends would say i was jacked and my name is Jamie.

James

Born in Simcoe Ontario Canada, now living in London Ont(15years)

I don't recall, been here since Jan 2007

MJ would have to be first, Nash 2nd, Barkley 3rd

5'4 remember lol I played organized soccer growing up and every other sport(hockey, baseball, football, basketball, volleyball, tennis, badminton, golf, wrestling, broomball, ball hockey) to win--i mean for fun haha

I am a personal trainer(for the wealthy haha)

H) What do you for fun?
This site for sure, golf, baseball, playing texas hold'em, exercising

Nothing surprising here. I'm always in a good mood, trying to make the best of any situation...well unless i'm losing at anything i consider a game haha
6/19/2020 8:36 AM
A) Where did your WIS moniker come from? Cmcafeeky: first name is Chris, last name McAfee, from Kentucky –
B) What is your real (first) name? Chris
C) What part of the country/world do you live in? I Live in Louisville Kentucky. I was born and raised in Danville Kentucky, a very nice little town very much like Mayberry, about 35 miles south of Lexington.
D) How did you find your way to WhatIfSports? I have no idea how I found out about the site. I think I started in 2008. Probably in googling fantasy football information. I grew up with Strat-o-matic baseball and Avalon Hill basketball board game simulations, so I was SHOCKED to find something like WIS.
E) Do you have a favorite basketball player (or two or three) of all time? I am a 4th generation Kentucky Wildcat fan. Lifelong member of Big Blue Nation.
I almost always gravitate to the guys who overcome obstacles – the blue collar guy – the guy who wasn’t highly recruited & then makes good. (‘Jorts’ Harrelson ‘11 Final 4 team, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, etc.) or in state guys who play for the name on front of the jersey (Scott Padgett ’98, Darius Miller ‘12, etc.) . Hustle and be smart or it’s the doghouse – lol (I HATED Rondo)

NBA: I’m about the teams more than the player usually. Love most all the UK alums, Issel, Dampier, Kentucky Colonels in ABA (although I’m too young to remember too much of that); Birds Celtics, the Popovich Spurs, etc. – I like the glue guys with grit – the role player who makes a difference – guys who ‘play the right way’ and– I am usually against the mega hyped super star being pushed by ESPN: Nike Jordan, Kobe, AI, LeBron, hate the Lakers and now the Warriors… I’m an old school hater.

F) How good a basketball player are you (or have you been) in real life? I was the captain of h.s. team, the second or 3rd best player on squad. Our goal as a little leaguer was to play for UK or our high school team. In the 80’s in Kentucky, the community h.s. team was still a big thing (kind of like Hoosiers, but in a bigger town) I wasn’t anywhere good enough for D1 – Eastern Ky Univ. asked me to walk on (to be practice fodder), but I wasn’t good enough and didn’t want to work that hard to be the worst player for a poor program) – I was D2 or NAIA role player level- I played on Industrial League teams, and in leagues until 35 or so – I had good athleticism – could dunk – good speed – hard nosed & too aggressive…6’3 200#. I hate to admit it, but I was always surprisingly somewhat of an A$$... A lot of Christian Laettner – Bill Laimbeer – Draymond Green… shenanigans & arrogance – visiting crowds hated me - lol
G) What is your profession? (Or area of study, if you're a student, or main thing to which to devote time if you're retired, independently wealthy, etc.) – Special Ed. Teacher (social studies) – at alternative school for Emotional and Behavior disorders in Louisville.
H) What do you for fun? I’m a huge movie history buff. I think film is the ultimate art form – it has the ability to utilize, in some combination, each of the other arts when done well. I have a fantastic DVD & blu ray collection. Loved Roger Ebert. Also, I have a nice slot car track that I mess with.
I’ve been working on a basketball book, which was somewhat inspired or patterned after the Bill Simmons basketball book. Tentatively called: “Wildcat: What IF… the woulda’ coulda’ shoulda’ of Kentucky basketball.” I have approximately 40 to 45 “What if” scenarios about how things might have transpired IF key things had played out differently. Example: What would Pitino have accomplished if he had stayed?; What IF Rupp had left with the Fab 5 in 1951 (to form NBAs Indianapolis Olympians)?; What IF Laettner had been tossed? What IF Wooden hadn’t retired the day before ’75 title game? Etc etc etc. I’ve worked on it for a few years, and know I’ll never really finish it. But it has been fun, especially during basketball season.
7/7/2020 3:00 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.