Thoughts About Seble Topic

But seriously...

http://www.netmba.com/strategy/matrix/bcg/

I recollected this topic from my college business strategy class 5 years ago. Based on what seble said and what we generally know about the sims:

The dynasty games are their stars and question marks.

The MLB sim is a cash cow.

The NFL, NBA, and NHL sims are dogs.
1/26/2010 8:29 PM
It's chicken and egg with the SIM and participation. I've been around long enough to remember when you had to eneter an NBA Theme League in a handful of days or miss out. I remember very few complaints about the SIM, yet frequent updates. That participation would come back with a better product.
1/28/2010 9:15 AM
tinman was the beginning of the end - they didnt understand the appeal of their product and tried to make it all about statistical modelling (which they failed to deliver btw) - as Ive stated elsewhere not only did they thus render the NBAsim a pale and lesser imitation of the MLBsim doomed to never compete with it's big brother but they alienated their customer base in the process

I liken the process to Georgia Frontiere and Jack Faulkner tearing down the Anaheim Rams franchise and then pleading poor fan support to in order to justify moving the team to St Louis - of course the fans stopped coming, the product they put out on the field was terrible - when the product was good people filled the coliseum (and later the big A)
1/28/2010 9:37 AM
tinman is gone now...

this? this? or, this?
1/28/2010 11:31 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By all3 on 1/28/2010It's chicken and egg with the SIM and participation. I've been around long enough to remember when you had to eneter an NBA Theme League in a handful of days or miss out. I remember very few complaints about the SIM, yet frequent updates. That participation would come back with a better product
I agree 100% with you...this game in its Hey was hoppin and it isn't earning less money today because of HD, its earning less money because the game is subpar/virtually not worth playing.
1/28/2010 11:38 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By monkee on 1/28/2010
tinman was the beginning of the end - they didnt understand the appeal of their product and tried to make it all about statistical modelling (which they failed to deliver btw) - as Ive stated elsewhere not only did they thus render the NBAsim a pale and lesser imitation of the MLBsim doomed to never compete with it's big brother but they alienated their customer base in the process

I liken the process to Georgia Frontiere and Jack Faulkner tearing down the Anaheim Rams franchise and then pleading poor fan support to in order to justify moving the team to St Louis - of course the fans stopped coming, the product they put out on the field was terrible - when the product was good people filled the coliseum (and later the big A)

Couldn't have said it better myself.
1/28/2010 11:40 AM
1/28/2010 11:40 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By scudmissle on 1/28/2010
tinman is gone now...

this? this? or, this?

Tinmanpb dropped his bomb and obliterated a fair amount of things here, and unfortunately, there's nobody to clean up the mess.
1/28/2010 11:41 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By seble on 1/25/2010As it stands, we've had to do a lot of reshuffling over past year having lost 2 developers without being able to replace them. In addition we've had a number of projects come up not directly related to WIS. I'm not trying to make excuses or anything, just explaining the way it is. Most of it is out of my control, and even out of WIS control.

I'm now the lead developer on HD and have been working on a large release for that game for some time, in addition to working on several other projects. The fact is that the dynasty games (and MLB SimLeagues) are by far our most profitable, but as importantly they still have a lot more room to grow. The SimLeague games are pretty mature products and while there is always room for improvement, the games are pretty solid.

We're not by any means abandoning NBA SimLeagues. But updates will be much further apart than they used to be. Whether it's me working on those updates or someone else I don't know yet. To specifically address those player issues with defensive ratings and effectiveness, my plan was to enlarge the scope of that fix to include all players, not just the 08-09 ones. I'm still planning on doing that, but I can't say when. Possibly after this HD release goes out in March.

You guys can have your opinions about us and about me specifically, but there are always many factors at play in the decisions that are made.

After March? Instead of letting us know AFTER when it will get done, how about letting us know BEFORE when it will get done?

That's like saying "There's a small chance I can do it after I get a million other things done and god only knows when that will be but it should be sometime in March."
1/31/2010 12:38 AM
we just want something done, I for one am about ready to give up on this site altogether
1/31/2010 12:46 AM
Just out of curiousity, how many people here would be happy if they just changed the SIM back to the previous version to the current version they are running?
1/31/2010 1:19 PM
I think it would be a huge step backwards in several respects, but a big step forwards in a couple.

I personally don't want to go back to seeing perimeter Barkleys and midrange Wilts though.
1/31/2010 1:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by earlmantis on 1/31/2010Just out of curiousity, how many people here would be happy if they just changed the SIM back to the previous version to the current version they are running?

I say go for it. There was a 3 month long version that was good, correct? Right before this one. A lot of 90+ defenders was the problem I think so they cut the defense and the salaries to give us this junk release.

Defense is completely worthless now, proven by the 73-9 team atop the Top25. I will not buy another OL team under this release and am buying maybe one full price team every 3 months right now.

I really believe now that FOX does not support ANY $ going to NBA sim due to their not carrying it on TV. It is not a "FOX sport". There is no other reason I can think of to let the sim dry up while pouring time and $ into hockey and the baseball cash cow.

Think about it. If I enjoy following NBA ball, I will turn on TNT or TBS-Fox's competitors.
Seble's hand are tied. Better hope some other SIM site comes along for the NBA, cause this one appears to be done.
1/31/2010 2:55 PM
I was content enough with the previous version of the sim, although I think most/many of us would immediately miss the advanced search functions. There were a ton of complaints at the time, too - especially regarding defensive ratings.

So I'd much rather see admin start to really tweak the current version than go backwards. I'd love to see:

- overhaul of D ratings, especially for the 08-09 player batch
- close look at position efficiency ratings (Pippen, Grant Hill, etc.)
- at least a trial run of an option for smaller league sizes (seble said a few months ago that they were seriously considering this...imagine how many more theme leagues would run each year if you could start progressive leagues in the early '60s, or have all-ABA leagues)

Those three increments would be a terrific investment of whatever staff time is available, and a good faith show of attention.
2/1/2010 8:06 AM
you forgot to mention an overhaul of the salary structure
frequency of 4 pt plays
names corrections and revision (this is the easiest one!)
rebounding logic
and so on
2/1/2010 10:07 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Thoughts About Seble Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.