Delusional President? Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
You really seem to be stuck on how much taxes the corporations actually pay.   I'd argue that it's a non-issue.  The bottom line is the issue. 

Corp sell less product, corp makes less money, corp makes cutbacks.    If they make less money because of taxes, they still make the cutbacks.   
4/15/2011 10:28 AM
Also, corp sells more product, corp makes more money, corp makes cutbacks anyway (or moves jobs overseas, which from the perspective of the American economy is basically the same thing.)

Your simple theory simply doesn't survive contact with reality.
4/15/2011 10:39 AM
The objective of a business is to make money.   If the American worker prices himself out of a job(or lazys himself out of a job), they'll find someone else to do it.  But, without businesses, there are no jobs or economy.   Should we try to put them out of business in America by taxing them higher?
4/15/2011 10:56 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/15/2011 10:56:00 AM (view original):
The objective of a business is to make money.   If the American worker prices himself out of a job(or lazys himself out of a job), they'll find someone else to do it.  But, without businesses, there are no jobs or economy.   Should we try to put them out of business in America by taxing them higher?
No. Fortunately there is a huge middle ground between "taxing them out of business" and "taxing them higher, but not so high that they go out of business".

If you ever bothered to stop reducing issues to painfully simplistic binary either-or choices, you might realize that. But that would ruin your little reindeer game, so I won't hold my breath.
4/15/2011 11:06 AM
Posted by The Taint on 4/15/2011 10:58:00 AM (view original):
What Anton says is definitely true.  I'm still waiting to hear of an example of raised taxes costing jobs.  Specifics please. 

One can argue that higher taxes cause the corporations to reinvest that money(rendering it mostly tax free) back into their corporation rather than subjecting it to the higher taxes that divvying it up to their shareholders will cause them to incur. 
Washington tried to pass a law to tax the wealthy just recently - I'd have to look it up - but Rick Perry from Texas sent companies like Amazon, Microsoft, Starbucks, Etc letters inviting them to move their corporate offices to Texas where taxes are lower. If they had moved those businesses emplyees in WA would lose jobs.

Businesses are moving out of Illinois to Indiana because of the tax differential.

I'll link articles later when I have time to find them.

4/15/2011 11:17 AM
Posted by The Taint on 4/15/2011 11:06:00 AM (view original):
Mike, do you think we can balance the budget purely by cutting spending?
techically yes... but its probably not the only measure that should be taken.

I don't think the right would mind paying more taxes 'to balance the budget' (as opposed to having riots in the streets, like france and greece, if the deficit continues out of control) - but the gov't FIRST has to show it's not going to spend/waste more and more money if they collect more in taxes, which its pretty good at doing.
4/15/2011 11:30 AM
So when are those companies moving?   As it is Washington is fifth on Forbes list of states to do business in, Texas is seventh.
4/15/2011 11:30 AM
Posted by moy23 on 4/15/2011 11:31:00 AM (view original):
Posted by The Taint on 4/15/2011 11:06:00 AM (view original):
Mike, do you think we can balance the budget purely by cutting spending?
techically yes... but its probably not the only measure that should be taken.

I don't think the right would mind paying more taxes 'to balance the budget' (as opposed to having riots in the streets, like france and greece, if the deficit continues out of control) - but the gov't FIRST has to show it's not going to spend/waste more and more money if they collect more in taxes, which its pretty good at doing.
Totally agree with the waste statement, not so sure about the mind paying more taxes statement.
4/15/2011 11:33 AM
Also, I agree with the whole "balance the budget" being in quotations.  It's just an easy term to use.
4/15/2011 11:34 AM
Posted by The Taint on 4/15/2011 11:30:00 AM (view original):
So when are those companies moving?   As it is Washington is fifth on Forbes list of states to do business in, Texas is seventh.
CA and IL companies relocating to Texas
http://www.connectamarillo.com/news/story.aspx?id=573240

Carl's JR moving HQ to Texas
http://fastfood.ocregister.com/2011/02/01/is-carls-jr-parent-moving-headquarters-to-texas/87436/

WI giving Tax Break to new businesses relocating to the State
http://patriottaxsolutions.com/blog/wisconsin-senate-approves-relocating-business-tax-break/

Why Businesses are leaving CA
http://thebusinessrelocationcoach.blogspot.com/2011/04/why-do-companies-leave-california-here.html

Companies moving Overseas
http://www.examiner.com/finance-examiner-in-national/us-corporate-tax-rates-the-primary-cause-for-companies-moving-overseas

Simply the vast # of businesses incorporating in delaware for tax reasons should alone prove how important low taxes are to a company.

4/15/2011 11:45 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Delusional President? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.