(A) WIS moniker. No idea. LOL. Member since 2008 but 3 year hiatus due to thinking elimating this could help a failed marriage. Also I suck at it!!!! Also only name I have ever had on this site. Is that a record?

(B) Real name Sam

(C) What part of country? 23 years western NC, 22 years central to N Georgia, and last 4 Central Alabama

(D) How did you fine WIS? Probably on a search for sports simulation search. I can remember collecting sports cards from when I was a kid trying to make up games for them on my own. Never found the old school simulation just tried **** on my own.

(E) Favorite Player? First basketball game that I remember everything about is 1982 National Champ game. Enough said!! However a couple others have been Dennis Rodman, John Stockton I really like Russell Westbrook just because of effort.

(F) How good a player were you? Always played football since I was a kid. However after major injury in Senior season lost any chance moving forward but I played alot pick up in high school and played in a very good Community College intermural league for a couple years. I was a hard nose PG that liked to get into mix.

(G) What is your profession? Only real job I have ever had is Golf Course Superintendent. Would never want to do anything else. Most rewarding thing about this job when I was young was making grass live in areas where they are not supposed to (Bentgrass in south for anybody that knows what that means) but as I get older and the younger generation struggles is to introduce them to a possible career path.

(H) What do you do for fun? I used to play a ton of golf. Now I play some poker. Love movies of all types

(I) Something other owners might be surprised about you? I have a very famous name at least for older people I have found in my experience. Hint is I was born March 2nd.
7/7/2020 3:19 PM (edited)
@pexetera: Wow, I've wondered what happened to sawtech!

@sappy: Trying to figure it out...are you Mikhail Gorbachev?
7/8/2020 11:45 AM
Posted by pexetera on 7/7/2020 5:08:00 PM (view original):
A) Where did your WIS moniker come from?
My first moniker was Sawtech7, which was after a small construction manufacturing company I started in 2003... Saw Tech Countertops. The 7 is because it took me 7 tries to realize I didn't need to keep establishing new accounts to play new exhibition teams. Unfortunately, that nic did not survive the merger. My new nic pexetera is after Phillips Exeter Academy. p-exeter-a. which is where my daughter was accepted to boarding school in 2013. Apparently, I choose names after things I'm proud of at the time.

B) What is your real (first) name?
Paul

C) What part of the country/world do you live in?
Disney world. Cinderella smokes. It's true. Saw her on break one day. Wig crooked, smoking a butt. Nearly broke my heart. Ok, I don't actually live on Disney property... but close enough in Winter Park, FL.

D) How did you find your way to WhatIfSports?
WIS sent me a promo email in December 2007.

E) Do you have a favorite basketball player (or two or three) of all time?
John Stockton. I'm a 5'11" white guy, so it's like looking in a circus mirror.

F) How good a basketball player are you (or have you been) in real life?
Didn't start on the high school team. Not recruited. Only played intramural basketball in college.

G) What is your profession? (Or area of study, if you're a student, or main thing to which to devote time if you're retired, independently wealthy, etc.)
graduated high school, went to Georgia Tech, worked in engineering for a few years, got my MBA, transitioned into finance, built a small financial planning practice, then started a construction manufacturing company, now semi-retired. Hired a GM to run the manufacturing company, but still go in once a month to check the books. Still have the financial planning practice but work from home.

H) What do you for fun?
WIS, travel, spend time with family.

I) What is something other owners might be surprised to learn about you?
Not sure. Married a Chinese woman so we bought a place in Shanghai to go visit her family. Of course they all moved in. Shanghai is a very modern city, like New York, but once you get outside the city the countryside quickly turns into miles and miles of rice fields. We were invited to a small village about 100 miles outside of Shanghai one time for Chinese New Year. The kind of village so small they still get water from a well. Pretty sure I was the only white guy to ever visit that village. They were all coming over and looking at my blue eyes. I was the star attraction, much in the same way an Orangutan is the star attraction at the zoo.
I graduated from WPHS. Moved a lot as a kid, bounced between Orlando and NY, but was mostly in the Winter Park region second half of childhood. Lived across from the old Navy base that is now Baldwin Park.
7/8/2020 1:50 PM
Posted by sappy on 7/7/2020 3:19:00 PM (view original):
(A) WIS moniker. No idea. LOL. Member since 2008 but 3 year hiatus due to thinking elimating this could help a failed marriage. Also I suck at it!!!! Also only name I have ever had on this site. Is that a record?

(B) Real name Sam

(C) What part of country? 23 years western NC, 22 years central to N Georgia, and last 4 Central Alabama

(D) How did you fine WIS? Probably on a search for sports simulation search. I can remember collecting sports cards from when I was a kid trying to make up games for them on my own. Never found the old school simulation just tried **** on my own.

(E) Favorite Player? First basketball game that I remember everything about is 1982 National Champ game. Enough said!! However a couple others have been Dennis Rodman, John Stockton I really like Russell Westbrook just because of effort.

(F) How good a player were you? Always played football since I was a kid. However after major injury in Senior season lost any chance moving forward but I played alot pick up in high school and played in a very good Community College intermural league for a couple years. I was a hard nose PG that liked to get into mix.

(G) What is your profession? Only real job I have ever had is Golf Course Superintendent. Would never want to do anything else. Most rewarding thing about this job when I was young was making grass live in areas where they are not supposed to (Bentgrass in south for anybody that knows what that means) but as I get older and the younger generation struggles is to introduce them to a possible career path.

(H) What do you do for fun? I used to play a ton of golf. Now I play some poker. Love movies of all types

(I) Something other owners might be surprised about you? I have a very famous name at least for older people I have found in my experience. Hint is I was born March 2nd.
Sam Houston!
7/8/2020 2:00 PM
Posted by longtallbrad on 7/8/2020 11:45:00 AM (view original):
@pexetera: Wow, I've wondered what happened to sawtech!

@sappy: Trying to figure it out...are you Mikhail Gorbachev?
LOL! nope
7/8/2020 2:32 PM
Posted by robusk on 7/8/2020 2:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by sappy on 7/7/2020 3:19:00 PM (view original):

(B) Real name Sam

Sam Houston!
Yep. I am actually Sam Houston IV. So its a family name that I just happen to be born on same day.
7/8/2020 2:37 PM (edited)
Posted by pexetera on 7/8/2020 4:54:00 PM (view original):
I think they used to do the nuclear engineering training for submariners at that old Navy base. Long gone now. I'm probably 5 minutes from where you used to live. I'm near Mead Gardens and Rollins College, my team name in the CAPS league is the Rollins Tars, which is where I got my MBA.
Yeah, pretty close to me. I lived pretty close to General Rees and Glenridge for a while before we moved closer to Leu Gardens.

Know precisely where you are at, over by the old Ninth Grade Center. I used to race on Lake Virginia. I think there is a Black Bean Deli over there? Back in the day those were the expensive houses until they slowly built all the stuff in the old orange groves and over by the YMCA.

My sisters still live in the area, my mom moved to Vero.
7/8/2020 5:01 PM
My nickname when I joined was Cato, but when I tried that they said it was being used by someone else. So I put in Midge, which was an old nickname, and they took it.
Kerry - a lot of the time at restaurants (those were the days) I use the name Bob because nobody misspells Bob.
I live in Katy, Texas, which is a suburb of Houston.
One of my best friends (Galveston - plays mostly baseball, but plays some basketball) told me about it and wouldn't let up until I tried it. I played a lot of baseball here (until they ruined it) before I gave basketball a try.
My first favorite player was John Havlicek. He had a funny sounding name and played in that building with the funny floor. I later became a big fan of Kevin Porter when I was playing Strat-o-Matic basketball and he had a great passing card. I like guys who can pass. After I moved to Houston I became a huge Mike Newlin fan. He was so much fun to watch play. I'm sure many of you are familiar with the Dave Cowens story. Years later, when I was working at a TV station that aired Rockets games, I had a chance to meet him and talk to him a number of times. Good stuff.
I only played in pick-up games and intramural games, but I liked playing a lot. I knew I couldn't shoot so I didn't shoot unless I has a layup. I was a good passer and a good rebounder for a guy who was 5' 9" and I at least made an effort on defense.
G) What is your profession? (Or area of study, if you're a student, or main thing to which to devote time if you're retired, independently wealthy, etc.)
My career was in television, but now I am retired.
H) What do you for fun?
I like to binge watch TV shows. I enjoy reading. We play a lot of European style board games, things like Ticket To Ride (Big Train Death Match), Splendor, Catan, Istanbul and Agricola. There are a lot of good games out there.
I was the first person in Texas to whistle left handed while thinking about pizza. I like to say bizarre things just to see people's reactions.
7/12/2020 6:45 PM
Posted by Midge on 7/12/2020 6:45:00 PM (view original):
My nickname when I joined was Cato, but when I tried that they said it was being used by someone else. So I put in Midge, which was an old nickname, and they took it.
Kerry - a lot of the time at restaurants (those were the days) I use the name Bob because nobody misspells Bob.
I live in Katy, Texas, which is a suburb of Houston.
One of my best friends (Galveston - plays mostly baseball, but plays some basketball) told me about it and wouldn't let up until I tried it. I played a lot of baseball here (until they ruined it) before I gave basketball a try.
My first favorite player was John Havlicek. He had a funny sounding name and played in that building with the funny floor. I later became a big fan of Kevin Porter when I was playing Strat-o-Matic basketball and he had a great passing card. I like guys who can pass. After I moved to Houston I became a huge Mike Newlin fan. He was so much fun to watch play. I'm sure many of you are familiar with the Dave Cowens story. Years later, when I was working at a TV station that aired Rockets games, I had a chance to meet him and talk to him a number of times. Good stuff.
I only played in pick-up games and intramural games, but I liked playing a lot. I knew I couldn't shoot so I didn't shoot unless I has a layup. I was a good passer and a good rebounder for a guy who was 5' 9" and I at least made an effort on defense.
My career was in television, but now I am retired.
H) What do you for fun?
I like to binge watch TV shows. I enjoy reading. We play a lot of European style board games, things like Ticket To Ride (Big Train Death Match), Splendor, Catan, Istanbul and Agricola. There are a lot of good games out there.
I was the first person in Texas to whistle left handed while thinking about pizza. I like to say bizarre things just to see people's reactions.
I am not a board games fan since I have a hard time controlling my compulsion to be overly competitive, but a lot of my friends are. I have played a number of the games in your list and they are all good.

You are consistently one of the truly funny people on this site.
7/15/2020 9:02 PM (edited)
Speaking of board games, a long time ago I was playing Strat-o-matic baseball and I had a particularly unlucky roll so I picked up my 20 sided die and threw it across the room. It made a nice little "pook" sound as it sailed through the living room window. Oops. I called the apartment office and told them someone threw something through my window and could they please come and fix it. I conveniently didn't tell them that the someone was me. Good times.
8/9/2020 6:04 PM
◂ Prev 1234

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.