Player Review Phase 1 - Salaries Topic

Posted by ashamael on 8/19/2010 7:36:00 PM (view original):
seble:

defensive rating - are there plans to work on this?  Originally you said there were.  In the .zip we downloaded, everyone's DR is the same as it is currently.  Again, I think you simply take def reb% out of the equation and this should take down some radical & ridiculous players a bit (like 08-09 troy murphy, 08-09 Zach Randolph)
third time I've asked this in this thread.
8/20/2010 7:15 PM
psst - I'm not here so one of the other of you have to point it out to him
8/20/2010 9:56 PM
felonius has no comment.
8/20/2010 10:06 PM
Posted by ashamael on 8/20/2010 7:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ashamael on 8/19/2010 7:36:00 PM (view original):
seble:

defensive rating - are there plans to work on this?  Originally you said there were.  In the .zip we downloaded, everyone's DR is the same as it is currently.  Again, I think you simply take def reb% out of the equation and this should take down some radical & ridiculous players a bit (like 08-09 troy murphy, 08-09 Zach Randolph)
third time I've asked this in this thread.
Josh, I think that the only things being done are the 09-10 players are being added and that the PEs are being changed (which honestly doesn't seem like it's been worked on that much/at all....if they had this third party working on it with some kind of concrete statistical formula, there really shouldn't be any debate about PEs).  Adjusting DEF ratings is wishful thinking.
8/20/2010 10:21 PM
The thing is, they should fix the D ratings before the salary formula since they'll directly affect salaries.

Say they come up with this wonderful salary formula that gives all players reasonable salaries but the D ratings are still way out of whack. Then sometime in the future they change the D ratings and all the players' salaries get all kinds of messed up.
8/20/2010 11:44 PM
Joel Pryzbilla is another guy w/ that high reb%, hi D (96!).

Is he really one of the best defenders in the history of the NBA?
8/21/2010 3:09 AM
fwiw, I never really wanted DEF ratings to begin with...I was happy with defense happening by/because of a player's defensive stats (BLK, STL) like how it used to be in 2003 and 2004.  I am aware that this alienates good/great defenders who don't have the stats that say they're great defenders (i.e. Dennis Rodman, Bruce Bowen, Tayshaun Prince), but at least under the old format, you knew what you were getting.

DEF ratings, as they are, almost seem like a total crapshoot.  Not only are they out of whack for some/many players, but given the game results, I'm not sure exactly what impact they're SUPPOSED to have on the game, because I'm not sure I've ever seen them work right.  I mean, how exactly is a 90 DEF player supposed to play against an 88-89 MJ?  It always seems like ADVANTAGE: OFFENSIVE PLAYER.  I just feel for it being such a big feature release, it's been a big swing and a miss over the years because it seemingly has a minimal, if not random impact.
8/21/2010 10:13 AM (edited)
Posted by seble on 8/20/2010 1:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by eleibowitz on 8/20/2010 1:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by seble on 8/20/2010 12:29:00 PM (view original):
I should have a new version for you guys on Monday with increased weight on rebounding and an across the board increase.
If that overall increase can be tied to a combo of usg% and eFG% that would be great.  I think this is what felonious what asking for and a several people agreed.  Please let me know if I'm incorrect.
They're weighted separately in the formula, but both pretty heavily.
To me Seble the increase in rebounding is to get players like Rodman, Moses an Wilt back to at least original salaries and really even higher.  Especially players like Rodman, Moses, Ben Wallace, etc.  But also what I would like to achieve with the increase is get players like Ray Allen, Steve Nash and Peja above their original salaries. IMO Ray Allen 05-06 who original salary was 5.5M should be in the 7-7.5M range.  Or like you said give more weight to assists but I think that's not conclusive for the higher than IRL eFG.  But maybe tweak it a little, its up to you....  Again all of this is IMO
8/21/2010 10:51 AM
www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx

the plan was to redo defensive rating AND position effectiveness.

edit:  this post is both in response to Trevor's "wishful thinking" comment & seble's silence on this issue.

8/21/2010 12:53 PM
Do away with the subjective piece of crap.
8/21/2010 2:23 PM
Posted by ashamael on 8/21/2010 12:55:00 PM (view original):

edit:  this post is both in response to Trevor's "wishful thinking" comment & seble's silence on this issue.

This was my understanding..
8/21/2010 2:47 PM
Trevor, how are any of your posts can you honestly say are useful or contain any useful info amongst all the crap? They all start out with "fwiw" (which is nobody), or "I said in 2004" (again nobody cares). Now before you get all defensive and think I'm just here to bash you, take a second and think. I don't ever come on here and bash you. All I'm saying is to step back, take a second and read your posts- they don't contribute one piece of useful information.
8/22/2010 12:15 AM
Anyway, I thought you retired?? Regardless, my guess is that the new salaries and work on the game is due to your input and feedback? Then two years from now when people are at their boiling point with the state of the sim, you'll be there to remind us all about all the great ideas you provided that didn't end up being incorporated. 
8/22/2010 12:21 AM
Ok I'm done.
8/22/2010 12:21 AM
Posted by ashamael on 8/21/2010 12:55:00 PM (view original):

My apologies Josh, I obviously missed that.
8/22/2010 10:26 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Player Review Phase 1 - Salaries Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.