Checking teams drafted vs league statistics Topic

Lately I've been looking at what stats a team drafted and comparing them to their league stats. Doing this I've noted a cew unusual and unexplainable outliers. In one league a single owner had 200+ more blocks than drafted and about 300+ more assist than drafted. No other team in the league had that level of overage. Frankly that's a league killing amount of overage, hard not to win big with take level of boost. In a different league the same owner was #1 in Blocks with 866 blocks drafted, while the #2 team had 1039 blocks drafted and the #3 team had 900 blocks draft. All three team were at uptempo with all their team minutes on the floor. Qgain the same owner drafted 2017 assists which as a rule would put your team at 27.5apg, the team is averaging 33 apg, again moving it solidly into the bonus. In another case a team had 2000ast drafted and was averaging 31apg, at uptempo the team would be lucky if it averaged 27apg...4 extra assist per game on is huge espscially when it moves from 27apg, where you barely hold on to your drafted fg%, to 31apg where you're into the bonus and bumping up your fg%. A 2nd team by this owner drafted 2113 ast which should put the team around 29apg....the team was averaging 33.4apg. With these kind of overages any owner can stack chips to the ceiling. I ask admin about it, that was a waste of time. In general I find this disheartening, we all work hard to build a competitive team then to have unusual abd unexplainable overages determine the winner. These overages definitely are league killers. It's a lot of work to check 24 teams drafted totals verse league totals but appears to be necessary. Btw the old sim works on a per minute basis is bull in these case because 1) we're all in rhe same league under same conditions (it's apples to apples)..and 2) the advance numbers are a per minute derivative of the totals anyway. Using the total makes it much easier to detect these overages. I'm wondering if other owners have noticed these kind of league changing overages and how prevalent this sort of thing is.....???
1/14/2020 5:54 AM
What league is this? If I’m in it, I’ll take a look at the numbers.

it might be related to %s, which aren’t based off of raw numbers but rather “per 100 possessions”. Different eras having different amounts of possessions in real life games would skew this. Example: in the 60s they played a TON of possessions. In the late 90s it got really slow. A player in the 60s who had 2 blocks per game in 36 minutes wouldn’t get as many blocks as a player in the later 90s who averaged 2 blocks per game in 36 - because the latter guy would’ve done it in less possessions in real life. Thus, when in the sim and playing roughly the same # of possessions, the second player would have more in the sim. That’s why I always look at advanced % and not counting stats. Just a thought.
1/14/2020 8:08 AM
yep - the engine doesnt run on counting stats and it's counting stat outputs being random as hell (looking) is not a new phenomenon
1/14/2020 10:13 AM
Posted by copernicus on 1/14/2020 10:14:00 AM (view original):
yep - the engine doesnt run on counting stats and it's counting stat outputs being random as hell (looking) is not a new phenomenon
Agree. F - A - R to much variable built into the current "logic".
1/14/2020 10:55 AM
Advanced numbers are not just per minute stats. They are derived from other important things like pace & a comparison of other players on floor, and they are what the sim uses. Totals stats are almost completely useless when determining sim behavior. As copernicus said, this is not new; it has been this way since 2009.
1/14/2020 5:07 PM
Thx guys. It's also possible that the normalization to player season plays a part also. I just didnt think it could moved up that much, apparently it can.
1/15/2020 2:22 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Checking teams drafted vs league statistics Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.