About the in game Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Quote: Originally posted by jammiesworld on 10/07/2009so how does this Def and Off setting thing work do you just leave it at zero or what

I do find it can make a difference. On offense, most owners like to run up-tempo, but some of the best owners have rough formulas for when they think they can go up-tempo successfully. Basically there are trade-offs to be aware of. If you think your team can afford to give up more turnovers and personal fouls in order to score more efficiently, then give it a try. I find it generally takes me at least 10 games and sometimes 20 to know whether I have a good up tempo squad.

I'm not sure anyone has figured out how and when to use slow-down offense. It's pretty rare for a team that uses slow-down all the time to win a championship, at least in open leagues.
10/7/2009 9:46 PM
jamie... i think u might be referring to the def positioning setting (0, +1, -1, etc.). this setting is for playing against different styles of offense, for example, when u look at the opposing teams lineup and u see that they launch a ton of threes (guys who shoot 3pt% @ 40% or better... rice, nash, murphy, barros, etc) and the big men are maybe guys who dont score much, russell, mutombo etc, owners will set their def positioning at +1, +2 etc to guard the perimeter. same can be said with a team whose big men score and guards who dont shoot lots of 3's... wade, frazier etc.

balanced teams are usually set at 0. hope this is what u were looking for.
10/8/2009 1:16 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By amycox67 on 10/07/2009good luck getting any one here to tell you any thing
i've never known this to be the case, amy... maybe it's because of the lack of wisnba owners nowadays on this site.
10/8/2009 1:19 AM
oh, and jamie, u can find the opposing team's tendancies by looking at where they take most of their shots... paint, midrange, and perimeter. there's a few places to find that information. gl2u.
10/8/2009 1:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by scudmissle on 10/08/2009oh, and jamie, u can find the opposing team's tendancies by looking at where they take most of their shots... paint, midrange, and perimeter. there's a few places to find that information. gl2u.

be careful w/the defensive settings. they tend to trigger a "cluster foul" effect when your players will foul out in 14-19 minutes of action.
10/8/2009 1:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by amycox67 on 10/07/2009good luck getting any one here to tell you any thing

from what i've seen amy, you've gotten TONS of love.

join a theme league. then i'll give you all the advice you want. the ODL, perhaps???
10/8/2009 1:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by amycox67 on 10/07/2009good luck getting any one here to tell you any thing

Sorry Amycox... I disagree with you whole heartedly. I have yet to see anyone post a question and not get an answer from the user base. The answer may not be something that they just implement, but they certainly get the input that allows them to figure it out form themselves.

As for the original post... I do leave mine at 0 in most cases. Primarily because I do not see a measurable difference except for extreme teams that load up on scoring from the point or from down low. In those cases I do adjust a bit. I would venture to say they are there for a reason but I am not convinced they have an effect worth changing day to day.

10/8/2009 1:49 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By jakotay on 10/08/2009

Quote: Originally posted by amycox67 on 10/07/2009
good luck getting any one here to tell you any thing

Sorry Amycox... I disagree with you whole heartedly. I have yet to see anyone post a question and not get an answer from the user base. The answer may not be something that they just implement, but they certainly get the input that allows them to figure it out form themselves.

As for the original post... I do leave mine at 0 in most cases. Primarily because I do not see a measurable difference except for extreme teams that load up on scoring from the point or from down low. In those cases I do adjust a bit. I would venture to say they are there for a reason but I am not convinced they have an effect worth changing day to day.

I agree with jakotay - I just searched your post history and every question you've ever asked in this forum has gotten serious and considered replies so I dont know where that comment comes from

as for the settings they only seem worth the effort in cases where your opponent has a very imbalanced team
10/8/2009 2:57 PM
About the in game Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.