OT: Osama Bin Laden is Dead Topic

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/02/135927693/is-it-wrong-to-celebrate-bin-ladens-death

This is a brief article that analyses the moral issue of celebrating bin Laden's death.  Basically, there are four possible reasons to celebrate:
(1) to celebrate for his dying
(2) to celebrate for the defeat of an enemy in war
(3) to celebrate retribution for heinous criminal acts
(4) to celebrate his being disabled and rendered harmless

I agree with the official Catholic position, as stated in the article.  I appreciate that bin Laden is rendered harmless, but I take no part in celebrating death, revenge, or war. To do so, is to emulate bin Laden's way of thinking.  I choose to emulate Jesus's way of thinking.
5/3/2011 5:27 AM
I didn't see it as celebration. I saw it as catharsis.
5/3/2011 9:46 AM
Posted by antonsirius on 5/3/2011 9:46:00 AM (view original):
I didn't see it as celebration. I saw it as catharsis.

So what if it was cathartic?  Catharsis can be experienced by the worst people doing the worst things. Sadists take pleasure in the pain of others, for example.  A violent man may feel relief in beating his spouse when she antagonizes him.  I am sure, as it has been referenced, that those whose celebrated the destruction of the Twin Towers were experiencing catharsis, too. There is no justification in catharsis. It is not the feelings that are at issue, but the behavior.

5/3/2011 10:30 AM (edited)
Calling it celebratory implies a very different emotional state than calling it cathartic.

It wasn't justification, it was clarification.
5/3/2011 10:54 AM
Posted by antonsirius on 5/3/2011 10:54:00 AM (view original):
Calling it celebratory implies a very different emotional state than calling it cathartic.

It wasn't justification, it was clarification.
It is an interesting point, nonetheless.  A celebration is a behavioral action and a catharsis is an emotional experience. They are categorically disparate. A celebration is a deliberate act expressed outwardly and a catharsis is an internal emotion experienced inwardly. Besides that, the two are not mutually exclusive. Furthemore, what constitutes a celebration is much broader than what constitutes a catharsis.  A cathartic experience is a purging of pent up emotion. The emotional experience that accompanies a celebration can encompass many different emotions, and catharsis can be a part of that experience. It isn't that people having catharsis do not celebrate or visa versa, as I think you are saying.  Besides, clearly, If people are haingin out in front of the White House late at night cheering, drinking, and chanting "U-S-A" then that definitely qualifies as a celebration. 
5/3/2011 12:54 PM
" It isn't that people having catharsis do not celebrate or visa versa, as I think you are saying."

Not exactly what I'm trying to say. Calling it a celebration, to me, implies that the only emotion involved is joy. Calling it a catharsis doesn't rule out joy, but brings in a host of other emotions as well - relief, grieving etc.

It's like calling a wake a party. You're not wrong, exactly, but you're missing a big part of the picture.
5/3/2011 1:34 PM
dahsdebator I understand what your point is and I think a nation or nations who celebrate an attack like 9/11 and those who were cheering the death of the man who made it happen are two very different things.
5/3/2011 1:52 PM
◂ Prev 1234
OT: Osama Bin Laden is Dead Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.