SIM the All-Star Game Topic

This would be a lot better than just submitting All-Star rosters.

Use the same criteria as MLB all-star game. Each team has a rep, and winner gets home field advantage in the World Series!

Then select an AS game MVP. Makes sense doesn't it?
9/21/2009 10:06 PM
I wouldn't be against it.

I'd rather jut see it SIM just to see who won but making it count could be interesting as long as it didn't end in a tie or affect fatigue.
9/21/2009 10:25 PM
Who sets the line ups? Also would you have site staff jigger the managerial logic to reflect all-star rules and norms. (e.g. use most all players; pitchers go no more than 3 innings?)
9/22/2009 12:40 AM
Sure, SIM it, why not? It's an exhibition game, so Sparky can set the lineup however he wants. It'd be nice if it knew to stick Tony at 2B, Chipper at SS, whatever, but who really cares?

Now - to have the result of this exhibition game determine home-field in the most important games of any season is silly. The fact that they do it in MLB is utterly, ridiculously, boneheadedly, BRAIN-BONINGLY STUPID.

9/22/2009 8:48 AM
I'd like to have the players fatigue be affected by the three days of "rest" during the all-star break.

I'm not a big fan of the game having any playoff implications.
9/22/2009 9:45 AM
The guys should play to win the all-star game because they're competitors, and that's what competitors do. They shouldn't have to be bribed with the WS business to get them to play hard. If that's naive, it's also unfortunate all the money in the game now has blown the risk of injury out of all proprtion.
9/22/2009 4:21 PM
I like that it determines H.F.A. in real life. I know I'm one of the very few who do. One of the things that makes baseball unique from other sports is the mystique between the two leagues. It really is two separate leagues with their own histories. Part of winning the WS series is bringing pride to your league not just your team. I say all this as not only a NL fan, but a fan of a team that been to two WSs in the last few years and not had H.F.A. in either.

Wouldn't like it on this site tho.
9/22/2009 5:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GregNLFan on 9/22/2009The guys should play to win the all-star game because they're competitors, and that's what competitors do. 

That's not really true. Look at the NBA NFL and NHL. If they were competitors they'd play some defense but they don't. They're there to put on a show for the fan's. Crazy dunks, great goals, etc.
All star games are a break for the athletes from competitive games. A time for them to interact more with fans and hang out with guys that they compete against all year. Hence the rule of 1 player from every team and why you don't see a pitcher go 6 innings.
I would like sim to sim the all-star game but it shouldn't be worth home field advantage.
9/22/2009 5:48 PM
It's an exhibition game. The fans vote most of the guys on, and there has to be a fuggin' Royal. There are pitching changes every 28 seconds. This farce should determine an edge in the World Series?

9/22/2009 10:28 PM
Okay, Greinke, yeah, brain fart. You get my drift.
9/22/2009 10:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by llamanunts on 9/22/2009Okay, Greinke, yeah, brain fart. You get my drift.
Obviously, this year Greinke was an worthy AS whether the 1 per team rule was in place or not. There have been some "bad" players on the AS team in the last 4-5 years. Lance Carter, Jose Rosado, Mike MacDougal, etc.

However, I like this rule! I think it's awesome that every team is represented, which isn't that hard to do with 33 man rosters now!
9/23/2009 9:02 AM
I would rather see MLB use interleague records to determine home field advantage. Wouldn't mind seeing the same method in the sim.
9/23/2009 3:32 PM
That, I could get behind.
9/23/2009 3:34 PM

Quote: Originally Posted By llamanunts on 9/23/2009

That, I could get behind!

9/23/2009 4:00 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By thats_nice on 9/22/2009
Quote: Originally posted by GregNLFan on 9/22/2009 The guys should play to win the all-star game because they're competitors, and that's what competitors do.

That's not really true. Look at the NBA NFL and NHL. If they were competitors they'd play some defense but they don't. They're there to put on a show for the fan's. Crazy dunks, great goals, etc.
All star games are a break for the athletes from competitive games. A time for them to interact more with fans and hang out with guys that they compete against all year. Hence the rule of 1 player from every team and why you don't see a pitcher go 6 innings.
I would like sim to sim the all-star game but it shouldn't be worth home field advantage

It's true. The NBA all-star game is just an exhibition, and everybody treats it as such-- for better or worse. Baseball's all-star game, however, used to be more than that. There's a history of competition between the leagues to win the game. Great stars would play the entire game-- to win. They would play extra innings-- to win. There's no point in playing extra innings in a meaningless exhibition. For years and years, the point of playing baseball's all-star game was to win, because that's what competitors do. Ask Ray Fosse. The point was to win.

The nature of the games also play a part in this. All star games in football, basketball, and hockey are of necessity stripped down versions of the regular games; that drives them towards exhibition status. In baseball, however, the level of play in an all-star game can be comparable to a regular season game. That means it can be more than an exhibition.
9/23/2009 4:30 PM
12 Next ▸
SIM the All-Star Game Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.