Fickle, Fickle SIM Topic

With monkee gone, someone has to take up the mantle of decrying crazy results in the SIM. So here's my rant: in the most recent iteration of the All-Time Regressive league, the two teams with the best records in each conference (72-10 and 67-15) lost to teams that finished third in the same divisions (56-26 and 43-39). The first two teams were 8-0 and 7-1 against their opponents in the regular season; both lost the playoff series 4-2. Without any gameplan changes that are clearly evident from the two winning coaches.

So how the hell does that happen?
2/24/2010 10:07 AM
Thanks for ranting for me, tarheel. As the other owner, I'd ask "How in the h*ll am I supposed to know what adjustments to make (not that they matter), when both teams are doing the same things that resulted in me winning 7 of the first 8 meetings?" A one game abnormality during the season, or even the playoffs, is certainly understandable and realistic, but such drasticly different results from regular season to an entire playoff series is very difficult to accept.
2/24/2010 11:40 AM
It ultimately benefits my team (although I'll probably find a way to lose to the 42-40 team in the conf finals), but you guys both got hosed, without question.
2/24/2010 3:51 PM
The better team wins a seven game series. Occasionally.
2/24/2010 6:37 PM
Recently had a playoff series start off with two 40+point losses. I think we were 4-4 H2H on the season, with no hint of that kind of blowout.
2/24/2010 8:41 PM
tarheel1991, why didn't u play ur better players more mpg in the playoffs?
2/26/2010 10:58 AM
Let's face it, aren't we to the point where we're more suprised when something like this DOESN'T happen? The SIM is random at best right now and "Coaching" means absolutely nothing.
2/27/2010 10:05 PM
Maybe that explains my opponent shooting 13-20 from 3 in the deciding game, even though I was playing a +2 defense. Guess I should try just leave everything at the defaults.
2/27/2010 10:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ncmusician_7 on 2/26/2010tarheel1991, why didn't u play ur better players more mpg in the playoffs?

I had Malone set for 40+ minutes from game 2 on, but he kept falling short - foul trouble and randomness, I guess? He was set for 47 minutes in game 6 and played. He still played 38 min a game in the playoffs, though, right at his real-life numbers. Wouldve liked for him to play more like 40-41, but as good as my other post players are that shouldn't have made a real difference.

Outside of him, I'm not really sure who you mean by "my best players" - not a whole lot of difference between my backups and starters in their per-minute production. I gave Muresan, Barry, Pack, and Ward more minutes than the regular season, which I intended. I meant to give Jayson Williams more minutes, but he only got 21 a game instead of the 23-24 I intended. Weatherspoon really got shorted on playing time because of foul trouble. The thing that irked me is that the SIM kept giving Weatherspoon's foul trouble minutes to Chris Mills, instead of giving them to Malone (who was behind Weatherspoon on the depth chart) and giving more minutes to my good post players. But once again, with how good my backups were (and considering that I ran the table on Detroit in the regular season with my best players getting basically the same minutes) it shouldn't have mattered.

Overall the story of the series was that I turned it over an absurd amount (over 5 a game for Malone), and despite being loaded across the board in defensive ratings (especially in the post) my defense was constantly shredded (over 51% FG). Over the course of the season it's clear that my defensive ratings were important, with the 2nd lowest opponent FG% in the league (43%), but in a 6-game series they clearly meant nothing.
2/28/2010 1:59 PM
sometimes I have trouble getting the sim to play guys the minutes I tell them to.

I'm pretty sure we've all been over the reasons why (need more organic stoppages of play, poor substitution logic when there are stoppages of play, cluster fouling when there's no call for it).

During an 82 game season I can almost always get guys worked out right. During a 7-game stint, it doesn't always work like I want it to.
2/28/2010 2:31 PM
Did u have the foul substitution logic set to very aggressive? Considering Malone was ur only high volume scorer, I would've set his target mpg to 45.
2/28/2010 3:42 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By all3 on 2/27/2010Let's face it, aren't we to the point where we're more suprised when something like this DOESN'T happen? The SIM is random at best right now and "Coaching" means absolutely nothing
Nay, the best team usually wins a playoff series. I'm not sure exactly what I do differently, but I rarely lose a playoff series when I think I clearly have the superior team.
2/28/2010 3:48 PM
how often do you believe you don't have the superior team, though nc? I've believed I haven't had the superior team and won a few times, but I've also believed I had the superior team (known I had the superior team, every single stat differential and season record, every facet I dominated in) yet still lost. Sim variance.
2/28/2010 3:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ncmusician_7 on 2/28/2010Did u have the foul substitution logic set to very aggressive?  Considering Malone was ur only high volume scorer, I would've set his target mpg to 45.

I just told you I had Malone set to 40+ minutes from game 2 on, 47 in the last game - he was set at either 42 or 43 the three before that, I don't remember exactly and there's no way to check. But I can tell you that Malone averaged 36.6 minutes against Detroit in the regular season, fewer than in the playoffs, when I was 8-0 against them. Stop trying to act like 2 minutes a game of Malone was (or should be) the difference between being 8-0 against a team and 2-4 against them.
2/28/2010 5:21 PM
and not to mention, offense was clearly not the problem - I scored MORE points per game in the playoffs than in the regular season, over 125 a game. The issue was giving up over 127 points on 51% shooting, which I'm pretty sure has absolutely nothing to do with Malone being my only high volume scorer
2/28/2010 5:24 PM
123 Next ▸
Fickle, Fickle SIM Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.