Selecting a home ballpark Topic

Seeking advice on how to choose a home ballpark.

I'm noticing more teams these days that have winning records but with better road records than home records. I have experienced this myself a couple of times lately with playoff teams that do better on the road than in my hand-picked home ballpark.

In my case, I usually opt for high-avg, high obp guys with few HRs, and pitchers with low avg, low walks. I'm picking parks that are neutral or + on 1Bs and 2Bs and - on HRs. I thought I was choosing a perfect fit. Yet my current club has a crazy good record on the road but is a .500 team at home. I don't get it.

Thanks,

Jeff F (MJDoc)
9/20/2010 5:46 PM
Seems you've picked the right type of park, maybe just one of those things. You didn't mention how many games you've played, so it's hard to tell if that will even out some. Usually a win or loss depends entirely on the pitching you're facing.  Obviously though if you have a homerun hitting team your not going to put them in the Astrodome.
9/20/2010 8:42 PM
ballpark selection is skewed by fatigue. If you expect to have fatigue problems then play in a park with a low 1B rating no matter what your team looks like.

choose a HR park if you expect to hit more HR than you give up. If you hit 40hr and give up only 20 then you should be in a +HR park, if you could hit 300 HR and give up 350 then choose an anti-HR ballpark. same for 2B and 3B, and 1B to a lesser extent.

speed teams do better in pitchers ballparks, high Walk teams do slightly better in -1B parks, high K pitchers are a little more valuable in hitting ballparks.

9/21/2010 12:12 AM (edited)
I just looked a little more closely and I see what appears to be just a very frustrating anomaly. At the All-Star break, my team is hitting .258 at home and .325 on the road. But get this. My opponents are hitting .288 at my place and .265 at home. That's ridiculous.
9/21/2010 6:10 AM
Selecting a home ballpark Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.