Is the defensive rating as significant as one might think?

usage being equal, do you draft a SF with EF%48 and D 40

vs

EFG 45
D 60
2/10/2020 1:39 PM
Defensive rating actually is quite significant. I don't see a situation where I'd ever consider either of your choices, though, while trying to build a winning team. It's more like:

efg% 58, D 50
efg% 50, D 90

That's a hard(er) decision. There's almost no situation where I take a tier 4 or higher usage guy with efg% less than 50% no matter what their DR is, and there's very few situations where I would take a guy with much less than 50 D. Progs are different because you rarely can get multiple seasons of every player to line up, so my standards drop a bit, but yeah, that's a rule I tend to stick with. If they are less than 50% efg%, they better be giving me a metric **** ton of something else that I need (like rebounds, assists, etc) and be lower usage. 92-93 Dennis Rodman is an excellent example.

So, back to your hypothetical example, I'm going to assume prog because I would never build a non-prog team where I'm considering either of those players. So, in a prog world, if those are honestly my best two options, I'm probably not building a winning squad that season and will look at someone else that has a better future while not caring what their stats are like this year - the worse, the better. If you're dead set between those two and are in a league where that is your typical player, then I would pick the guy who gave me better boards and/or assists (depending on team makeup/goal) and/or had the lower tov%. If everything else is equal... it doesn't matter because depending on either is a losing effort... but if usage is lower, I'll take the higher D guy. If the usage is higher, I'll take the higher efg% guy.
2/10/2020 7:01 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.