It was fun, but.. Topic

I discovered WIS about 12 years ago, when I was an HBD fanatic. I also dabbled in some of the CBB sim then, too. Like so many others I would imagine, I dusted off the ol' sim chops and returned to this site when fantasy sports was halted due to COVID. I decided to give SLBB a go-round this time. (I was still bitter I didn't get to finish out my NBA fantasy season!)

I thoroughly enjoyed my first season(s) in SLBB. I played in two open leagues and I found myself consumed with the game. Putting every player's historical season into perspective, the strategies, etc. All very addicting. But I can't help but feel this game (at least in an OL) is largely "solved."

I know I'm not saying anything profoundly groundbreaking here, but it seems there is a tried-and-true formula to dominating your league: 2-3 stocktons, a Miami Heat-era Lebron or a Steph, a half-season Magic and Durant, maybe a Boerwinkle or Nikola at center...and of course fifteen Rodmans. I won't lie, this sort of made me lose interest by the end of the season. It's really a conform-or-lose scenario.

Still on the fence about returning to an OL. I might just put all my "hobby time" back to fantasy, though I'm open to considering a specialized league or progressive. But I want one that's really unique and allows for the most variety of strategies. Any suggestions?
6/24/2020 11:35 AM
come play in the theme leagues - more variation of rosters, more challenging - nice group of owners with a good sense of community
6/24/2020 11:49 AM
Yeah I’m never going to play in an OL ever again. The Savage draft, the salary capped off off drafts (ODL/DH52), progressive franchises, and scattegories are where it’s at. Come join us in something like that, all organized on theSBB forums
6/24/2020 11:56 AM
I personally hate the concept of duplicates in a league let alone on one team which is why I'm not sure I've ever participated in an open league. I like single season progressives and some of the more interesting variations such as the URAPP and CAP leagues.

mmangini21 I think the banned league might be to your liking.
6/24/2020 4:46 PM
It's by no means "solved" and there are absolutely dominating teams that don't have a single one of those players you mentioned... but yeah, for the most part, there are two separate, very distinct, dominant strategies, and you named a lot of the players from the two, though you jumbled them together: there are no Worms in the State Farm strategy (that's the Stockton/Stockon/Magic/Lebron and/or Giaanis/Boerwinkle grouping).

But yeah, there's absolutely at this point (8+ years since a salary structure update) known best deals for a fixed structure like that.

Theme leagues, on the other hand, are absolutely wide open & evolving. I highly recommend the various draft leagues (ODL & DH52 being the two longest running and probably challenging).
6/24/2020 5:10 PM
Posted by quaker128 on 6/24/2020 4:46:00 PM (view original):
I personally hate the concept of duplicates in a league let alone on one team which is why I'm not sure I've ever participated in an open league. I like single season progressives and some of the more interesting variations such as the URAPP and CAP leagues.

mmangini21 I think the banned league might be to your liking.
We have several openings in the banned league still and we would love to have you!
6/24/2020 5:36 PM
I second everything that's been said. I haven't played an open league in a decade and have zero interest in returning to that format, but there's a lot of creative energy going into theme leagues and progressive leagues right now, and I'm in a stretch of having more fun on this site than has been the case for quite a while.
6/24/2020 5:41 PM
It was fun, but.. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.