i bet James Fallows ghost wrote for a farthing and for fun

these people need to pare it down

sharpen it up

and stick it in the gut
12/6/2020 7:06 AM
Posted by Guitarguy567 on 12/6/2020 5:27:00 AM (view original):
Enjoy!

https://www.thebellows.org/against-the-managers/
Thank you for pointing out this site. I had never heard of the bellows. A simple glance reveals a plethora of thought. Enlightening but considered. Contemplative and cognitive. Both reflective and introspective. I had no idea this place even existed. It's a goldmine. What a refreshing change from the tired old RINO publications of the once cutting-edge Constitutionalists, now atrophied and left behind with the never Trumpers and erstwhile Tory class of the new moderate bureaucrats hoping to retain their stranglehold of civilized republican edicts...endlessly repeated and never acted upon. Happy to retain their office space in Washington while penning their next New York Times bestseller, certain to immediately go paperback while their hardback stepparent crowds out last years must reads in the bargain bin. Take that Bill Kristol.

Thanks again for the many hours of delightful learning I'll undoubtedly be revisiting routinely.
12/6/2020 10:52 AM
I don't think this article was written for me, because I still don't buy that progressives are in bed with the corporations.

There's also some lines that presupposes ideas that I still don't buy, like this

Yet, in this cultural revolution, the fickleness of its dominant ideas is an essential feature, not a bug. The point of this “totalitarianism” is not to force everyone to think correct thoughts at the risk of getting fired; it is to get them fired. Full stop. Like the medieval guilds of old Europe, surplus managers are threatened by the existence of a mass of people willing to do any job within their ambit that cannot be comfortably accommodated without inviting the pauperization of their entire profession. For the medieval guilds, guaranteeing that only a select few who could actually hope to become carpenters or glove makers had nothing to do with improving the economic efficiency of the towns, but rather to secure the living standards and social status of those carpenters and glove makers already in practice.

I don't think this is happening en masse. The article does not prove that this is happening en masse.

"Woke" corporations look bad for the left; I don't deny that. But this does not prove that people like Bernie and AOC are working with the elites. Like I said earlier, what are these companies actually doing to boost the left besides vague, hypocritical support of civil rights? Even "big tech" bans the left all the time. There's still been zero evidence presented that big tech has a huge left bias.

If your argument is that moderate liberals like Pelosi and Biden are guilty of this, that's fine. I agree.

We can also have a conversation about why some workers are moving towards the GOP. I would argue that they're being duped, and I'm weary of arguments that shift messaging away from the truth just to pander to more people.
12/6/2020 12:22 PM
The right doesn’t like it when progressives don’t prove to be communists so they paint them as capitalists well gabba gabba hey we are.
they will go through endless political theories and linguistic gymnastics to create a boogeyman however they can.

meanwhile the talk is almost always categorizing and defining and posturing and pedantic repositioning and blessed little about nitty gritty discussion about why Obamacare is so bad or why and how overturning progressive climate change proposals are anti communist or pro society or how discarding a plan that did stop Iran from getting to a nuke was better then improving the deal that did what we could not with North Korea.
12/6/2020 1:11 PM (edited)
Posted by tangplay on 12/6/2020 12:22:00 PM (view original):
I don't think this article was written for me, because I still don't buy that progressives are in bed with the corporations.

There's also some lines that presupposes ideas that I still don't buy, like this

Yet, in this cultural revolution, the fickleness of its dominant ideas is an essential feature, not a bug. The point of this “totalitarianism” is not to force everyone to think correct thoughts at the risk of getting fired; it is to get them fired. Full stop. Like the medieval guilds of old Europe, surplus managers are threatened by the existence of a mass of people willing to do any job within their ambit that cannot be comfortably accommodated without inviting the pauperization of their entire profession. For the medieval guilds, guaranteeing that only a select few who could actually hope to become carpenters or glove makers had nothing to do with improving the economic efficiency of the towns, but rather to secure the living standards and social status of those carpenters and glove makers already in practice.

I don't think this is happening en masse. The article does not prove that this is happening en masse.

"Woke" corporations look bad for the left; I don't deny that. But this does not prove that people like Bernie and AOC are working with the elites. Like I said earlier, what are these companies actually doing to boost the left besides vague, hypocritical support of civil rights? Even "big tech" bans the left all the time. There's still been zero evidence presented that big tech has a huge left bias.

If your argument is that moderate liberals like Pelosi and Biden are guilty of this, that's fine. I agree.

We can also have a conversation about why some workers are moving towards the GOP. I would argue that they're being duped, and I'm weary of arguments that shift messaging away from the truth just to pander to more people.
Workers who vote GOP are traditionally anti immigrant and anti benefits to poor( black) they are the bloc that votes against self interest.
And they represent the cognitive discord of political philosophy in the nation.

12/6/2020 1:45 PM
Yeah, that's what I mean by being duped.
12/6/2020 2:47 PM
Yes and I agree with you all the way.
12/6/2020 2:54 PM
Posted by dino27 on 12/6/2020 1:45:00 PM (view original):

Workers who vote GOP are traditionally anti immigrant and anti benefits to poor( black) they are the bloc that votes against self interest.

Then why do do many blacks and etc support Trump????
12/9/2020 9:10 AM
first of all, ~10% is not "so many." But secondly, the answer is within the post you quoted
12/9/2020 9:13 AM
WHAT the bloody heel is "blacks and etc"???

You are truly batshit crazy!
12/9/2020 10:39 AM
Posted by Aldershot on 12/9/2020 9:10:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dino27 on 12/6/2020 1:45:00 PM (view original):

Then why do do many blacks and etc support Trump????
because there are far too many stupid people in the world, be they black, Hispanic, Asian or Canadian.
12/9/2020 11:54 AM
Tang, here's an article for you Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.