What Do You Collect Topic

I collect reprint baseball cards from the 1911 T201 Mecca Double folded cards to the 1911 T3 Turkey Red Cards to the 1948 &1953 Bowman Baseball cards to the Topps 1953 &1954 Baseball cards and the 1915 Cracker Jack Baseball cards. But my favorite is the T206 tobacco card set which includes the Honus Wagner card.
6/29/2023 4:48 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by bagchucker3 on 6/29/2023 5:01:00 PM (view original):
belly button lint

You should get it appraised.
6/29/2023 8:38 PM
Posted by poppapomp on 6/29/2023 4:48:00 PM (view original):
I collect reprint baseball cards from the 1911 T201 Mecca Double folded cards to the 1911 T3 Turkey Red Cards to the 1948 &1953 Bowman Baseball cards to the Topps 1953 &1954 Baseball cards and the 1915 Cracker Jack Baseball cards. But my favorite is the T206 tobacco card set which includes the Honus Wagner card.
I got hundreds of T206s, they are so cool. A lot of mine are trimmed however, but some are not altered and in pretty good shape for 113 year old cards. I got a Lajoie but none of the BIG names.

My favorite card I have is the 2nd highest graded N172 of Ed Delahanty. It came up for sale just by random chance at a bargain of a price, and my girlfriend was literally screaming at me to buy it. She is well aware of my love for the 1890s Phillies and the odds of ever seeing that card again at any sort of decent price would have been close to zero. Thanks to her I bought it, now her only complaint is she thinks I care about that card more than her ;)
6/29/2023 11:10 PM
Posted by TulsaG on 6/29/2023 11:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by poppapomp on 6/29/2023 4:48:00 PM (view original):
I got hundreds of T206s, they are so cool. A lot of mine are trimmed however, but some are not altered and in pretty good shape for 113 year old cards. I got a Lajoie but none of the BIG names.

My favorite card I have is the 2nd highest graded N172 of Ed Delahanty. It came up for sale just by random chance at a bargain of a price, and my girlfriend was literally screaming at me to buy it. She is well aware of my love for the 1890s Phillies and the odds of ever seeing that card again at any sort of decent price would have been close to zero. Thanks to her I bought it, now her only complaint is she thinks I care about that card more than her ;)
What a GF.

I have a great Nap Lajoie autograph.
6/29/2023 11:20 PM
I collected a lot of different things before we had our kids. Priorities shifted. haha. Have an extensive collection of football, baseball, and hockey cards and autographs. Quite a few 1970s-1990s Golf programs autographed (with many multiples of the biggies, including Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, Miller, and Trevino) as we used to head over to the Crosby/ATT annually until it became a nut show. As mentioned above, the autograph hobby has changed with the introduction of the scribble signatures present even when the person has the time to put a nice hand to his work. Also have a nice collection of college football programs and media guides. Now that I mention the latter, I gotta remember where they are.
7/1/2023 8:01 PM (edited)
Posted by redwingscup on 7/1/2023 8:01:00 PM (view original):
I collected a lot of different things before we had our kids. Priorities shifted. haha. Have an extensive collection of football, baseball, and hockey cards and autographs. Quite a few 1970s-1990s Golf programs autographed (with many multiples of the biggies, including Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, Miller, and Trevino) as we used to head over to the Crosby/ATT annually until it became a nut show. As mentioned above, the autograph hobby has changed with the introduction of the scribble signatures present even when the person has the time to put a nice hand to his work. Also have a nice collection of college football programs and media guides. Now that I mention the latter, I gotta remember where they are.
It is a good thing that John Hancock was no scribbler.

I have a mess of baseball yearbooks from many teams from the 50s thru 70s.
Lots of programs.

When I listed my favorite owned autographs I forgot to mention that I have a very special rare linen print ( art ) signed by Salvador Dali. I put it in museum glass and a frame that cost more then the print. Needless to say it is prominently displayed.
7/1/2023 8:26 PM (edited)
I had a fairly extensive coin collection...nothing super rare but some nice early 20th Century American silver pieces and some oddball foreign coins (my favorite was a pristine 1944 German Pfennig. Most of it was stolen about 18 years ago and I never got back into it. All I have left are some Silver Eagles and a few Proofs.

I do have a nice hardbound library. No 1st Editions but a couple of books are 100 years old and in good shape. I regularly read out of my 51 volume Harvard Classics series...a complete set and in fantastic shape for being 75+ years old.

Strangely, I also have a signed postcard by Dalí from not too long before he passed away. Dalí has always been my favorite 20th Century artist. I went to college near the Dalí museum in the Tampa Bay Area and used to go to there a LOT in my Senior year.
7/1/2023 9:50 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 7/1/2023 9:50:00 PM (view original):
I had a fairly extensive coin collection...nothing super rare but some nice early 20th Century American silver pieces and some oddball foreign coins (my favorite was a pristine 1944 German Pfennig. Most of it was stolen about 18 years ago and I never got back into it. All I have left are some Silver Eagles and a few Proofs.

I do have a nice hardbound library. No 1st Editions but a couple of books are 100 years old and in good shape. I regularly read out of my 51 volume Harvard Classics series...a complete set and in fantastic shape for being 75+ years old.

Strangely, I also have a signed postcard by Dalí from not too long before he passed away. Dalí has always been my favorite 20th Century artist. I went to college near the Dalí museum in the Tampa Bay Area and used to go to there a LOT in my Senior year.
I have a whole lot of old books I got from a used book store part of a public library. That’s the best place to get some fairly rare or signed books on the cheap.
Sort of like a flea market for books. Almost always the store has no idea.
I must have gotten at least 75 books from 1800 to 1899 in very good condition.

Great story about the post card. Hello Dali.

I hope no one broke in for the Hitler coin.
Maybe it was an inside job. House cleaner?
7/1/2023 11:03 PM (edited)
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by Lennybruce26 on 7/1/2023 11:03:00 PM (view original):

I have a whole lot of old books I got from a used book store part of a public library. That’s the best place to get some fairly rare or signed books on the cheap.

No, to the inside job. My wife and I lived in a fairly high crime area of south KC. The crew that robbed us was a group of young men who hit 4-5 houses on the same street that day after canvassing the area to see when we all went to work (which was about the same time.)

They broke a window, literally dumped a couple of dresser drawers of my stuff into a pillowcase and ran like hell. My wife's jewelry, which was worth 10 times more than the watch and coins they took from my side of the bedroom, wasn't even touched. The German Pfennig was probably thrown away. All they wanted was men's gold and silver, not a zinc 1944F 5 Reichspfennig that looked like it had been minted last week.

Lesson learned. We moved to a better neighborhood and got a heavy safe that would take dynamite to get into.

My library also has about 50 French language books. I'm about 90% fluent. It's fun to read Jules Verne in the original language.
7/2/2023 1:20 AM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 7/2/2023 1:20:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Lennybruce26 on 7/1/2023 11:03:00 PM (view original):

No, to the inside job. My wife and I lived in a fairly high crime area of south KC. The crew that robbed us was a group of young men who hit 4-5 houses on the same street that day after canvassing the area to see when we all went to work (which was about the same time.)

They broke a window, literally dumped a couple of dresser drawers of my stuff into a pillowcase and ran like hell. My wife's jewelry, which was worth 10 times more than the watch and coins they took from my side of the bedroom, wasn't even touched. The German Pfennig was probably thrown away. All they wanted was men's gold and silver, not a zinc 1944F 5 Reichspfennig that looked like it had been minted last week.

Lesson learned. We moved to a better neighborhood and got a heavy safe that would take dynamite to get into.

My library also has about 50 French language books. I'm about 90% fluent. It's fun to read Jules Verne in the original language.
Maybe the Hitler coin found a more proper resting place.
7/2/2023 6:25 AM
Eh, it had a proper resting place in my possession...as did the old Pound Sterling banknote, the several Soviet coins I owned and the Austro-Hungarian Korona that were stolen. My apologies for posting on your thread and I wish you the best. I'm not interested in defending the morality of a foreign penny I found in loose change when I was a kid in the 70s.

Please take care.
7/2/2023 10:21 AM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 7/2/2023 10:21:00 AM (view original):
Eh, it had a proper resting place in my possession...as did the old Pound Sterling banknote, the several Soviet coins I owned and the Austro-Hungarian Korona that were stolen. My apologies for posting on your thread and I wish you the best. I'm not interested in defending the morality of a foreign penny I found in loose change when I was a kid in the 70s.

Please take care.
Thank you. I always take care.
I found a Nazi penny once. I threw it away. ( True )
There are nazi memorabilia collectors.
The zillionaire benefactor of pubic servant Clarence Thomas for example. He has an “extraordinary” collection. I hear that he is searching for the remains of the Hitler dog named Blondie that Hitler shot into doggie heaven. That was the day that Hitler made his bones for Blondie.
The dog was a German Shepard ( was that ever in doubt) and named Blondie - I guess after the impenetrable blonde - Eva Braun.

PS - I don’t think that I was very harsh. It isn’t like I said WTF why would someone treasure the possession of a Hitler coin and bemoan ( I did not say mourn ) it’s loss.

Maybe it is part of a satanic rite and the burglars have all of the devil’s curse now.
Don’t worry be happy. Maybe a Nazi who participated in turning on the poison at gas chambers owned that coin or just touched it.

Seriously - admitting to valuing a Hitler coin isn’t something you hear every day and you own that.
Don’t take it out on me. I am just the messenger of my opinion.
7/2/2023 10:50 AM (edited)
Some sports books that I got for pennies on the dime that were signed.

1. Wilt Chamberlain
2. Jack Lambert
3. Rod Laver
4. Chris Evert
5. Joe Morgan
6. Bobby Clarke
7. Bob Feller
8. Joe Frazier
9. Walt Frazier
10. George Kell
11. Billy Werber

others I can’t remember at the moment.
7/2/2023 11:03 AM (edited)
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
What Do You Collect Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.