MLB Hall of Fame Topic

What about these 5?

1. Ron Guidry - don’t laugh - he is one of the greatest lefties and had a very dominant period and has a World Series pedigree.

2. Jimmy Rollins - has to get in and he does fabulous on my Sim teams and for that reason alone he should be in.

3. Chase Utley - and he missed about 4 major league seasons because the Phillies were slow to bring him up.

4. Craig Nettles

5. Curt Flood - should have been a shoe in - A+ fielding Centerfielder with great speed and solid hitter. So consistent from season to season.
6/5/2023 1:31 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Guidry has a record I think of 171-91 with great era etc.
6/6/2023 12:18 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by Got_Worms on 6/10/2023 10:38:00 AM (view original):
170-91 is not great for that era. Really only pitched 10 "full" seasons.

I see people advocating, vehemently, for Dave Stieb, Rick Reuschel, and Bret Saberhagen, and honestly, I think Guidry is better than all 3 of those guys, but we should be working towards restoring Cooperstown to the Hall of Fame, not the hall of pretty decent and/or mediocre longevity.
How many hall of gamers whose careers started after 1970 have more than 170 wins and such a good era and winning percentage?
only 8 and probably no more unless Guidry gets in.
Guidry pitched in the 5 man rotation era and only had one season over 31 starts - the 25-3 season where he had 35 starts. Can it be said that he had the best lefty season ever since Sandy Koufax and who are the better lefty starters for all pitchers beginning career a
from 1970 on. Randy Johnson was one.

Mo matter how you slice it 170-91 is incredible and better then almost every HOF post 1970 starters.

2 more points - it is said that 1 starting season is the same as 1.5 position seasons so it is like 15 seasons.
He wasted a few seasons as a reliever.

And he led his team to World Series championships in 1877 and 1978 where in each series he went 1-0 with superlative Koufax like victories. Went 5-2 postseason for career and 2-0 in the postseason for the back to back championship seasons. And he was a late inning pitcher.

in the coming years with 5 man rotations he will have to be reconsidered. He had a enough seasons of high quality and having a bunch of average final seasons going 30-30 for example should not have been needed.

And I do not see the evidence to say that 170-91 was typical for his era.
6/21/2023 10:21 AM (edited)
Curt Flood has to be a shoe in. He changed the face of all players that followed forever !
Probably, if he didn't do it someone else would have. But "he" was the man to step up and challenge the owners for the right to Free Agency.
I also agree Guidry should go in.
6/24/2023 5:53 PM
Posted by mojolad on 6/24/2023 5:53:00 PM (view original):
Curt Flood has to be a shoe in. He changed the face of all players that followed forever !
Probably, if he didn't do it someone else would have. But "he" was the man to step up and challenge the owners for the right to Free Agency.
I also agree Guidry should go in.
!!!!!!
and I think that Curt Flood should be in purely as a player. Constant all star and 7 times gold glove recipient.
6/24/2023 6:41 PM
MLB Hall of Fame Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.