Can this D2 player get drafted? Topic

the scary thing is, even though this is a fine d2 player, the d3 guard posted a couple weeks back from narcotico's tark team was even better. i lost to my conf mate in the d2 national championship that same season (last season) and that stud guard was almost better than every player on both our teams. i wouldn't quite say he would have topped them all, but he would have certainly started for both teams.
12/6/2010 9:52 AM
Emy: "I've had D2 players drafted before, so it's possible, but I don't think he'll get picked up.  He's got an outside shot, but I just think he'll be considered as lacking in a few too many categories."

I initially said "No", but stand corrected. If Emy say's there is a chance, there is a chance!
12/6/2010 12:47 PM
While stats are excellent his ratings aren't good enough.
12/6/2010 1:13 PM
12/6/2010 1:24 PM
21. Denver Nuggets Sebastian Abate 6'8", 223
C - Quincy University (D2) / 5th Year Senior

He was drafted 21 overall.
12/12/2010 8:06 AM
It´s possible to have a DII player drafted ... but you really need to pile on the stats (ppg). I remember the other guy that emy had drafted (believe it was DII Naismith), and I think his senior year whenever he played a sim he got all the distro, and that pushed his scoring up to 20-25 ppg and got him drafted. And I remember it gave him a nice little bump in recruiting that year -- he was able to talk to players that the other A+ schools could not.

tkimble ... are you able to post Abate´s ratings here? Those not in Knight can´t see the link you posted.
12/12/2010 9:53 AM
12/12/2010 10:05 AM
With stats like those he certainly deserved to be drafted.  But I definitely saw this as possible.  I forget which world it was in (I believe it was either Allen or Knight), but I'm pretty sure there was a DII prospect taken in the top 15 in the draft one year.  I wish I could remember more specifics, but I can't.  Maybe someone else remembers this/knows of a similar occurrence?
12/12/2010 10:34 AM
1st Round at #21. Congrats for recruiting and growing such a fine player.
12/12/2010 2:38 PM
Very impressive feat.  I always thought ratings mattered much more than stats, though.  That's how we see sophomores who played 5 mins a game get drafted.  Surely there were better-rated D1 players than him that missed the first round? 
12/12/2010 3:49 PM (edited)
Posted by emy1013 on 12/6/2010 12:58:00 AM (view original):
I've had D2 players drafted before, so it's possible, but I don't think he'll get picked up.  He's got an outside shot, but I just think he'll be considered as lacking in a few too many categories.

P.S.  I know you remember my Center for N. Colorado named Emilio Reyes, right?  He was Conference POY three times, 1st Team All-Conference three times, 2nd Team once, Freshman of the Year for the conference, and Defensive POY for the conference once.  On a national level, he was POY once, Freshman of the Year, and made the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd teams once each.  Finished as the third leading scorer in Knight D2 history (at the time).   And (although it can't be pulled up now, which is STUPID by the way, that you can't pull up graduated players final ratings) actually had better overall ratings than Abate and for all that, went undrafted and is now flipping burgers at some hole-in-the-wall fast food joint in BFE.

He can look down and see that National Championship ring he won in his sophomore season though, so Abate's got to get one of those before he can enter the "best ever big man in D2 Knight" conversation!!!  :^)

In all seriousness, I remember when we played each other when Abate was a freshman.  I knew he was gonna be a stud then, just didn't know he would be THIS good.  Kudos on doing a fine job with him.  By the way, this is also Dcy if you hadn't realized by now.
Even without a title, I think Abate wins for best big over Emilio Reyes!  I do remember the Reyes-Abate matchup, which is pretty cool to think about now because they're probably the two best players ever in Knight D2 history.  As for ratings, I remember comparing them and Reyes definitely had much better per/bh/p/spd/sb, but as for ath and LP, I'm sure Abate had about a 7 or 8 point edge.  
12/12/2010 4:22 PM
Posted by cthomas22255 on 12/12/2010 3:49:00 PM (view original):
Very impressive feat.  I always thought ratings mattered much more than stats, though.  That's how we see sophomores who played 5 mins a game get drafted.  Surely there were better-rated D1 players than him that missed the first round? 
Ratings come into play very heavily when it comes to early entries.

And they certainly still matter when it comes to which seniors getting drafted, but not as much, and when you get a guy who scores a ton, that significantly increases his chances of getting drafted.

Abate is an awesome player and I'd be happy to have him on my DII team, but at very most I think you'd have to say something like "best post potential" big man in Knight or something like that. A few years ago there were a lot of guys that could simply blow the doors off what's available now. I remember signing Damon French at (DIII) Redlands-Naismith and he started out as over 60 in lp, bl, reb and def and ended up in the 90's for all of them, plus A+ ft shooting to boot (of course much, much easier back then). And that was in DIII.
12/12/2010 4:57 PM (edited)
that abate guy is good, but i've seen a few better bigs... i think i might have a d3 player drafted, do i have any shot?
12/12/2010 8:45 PM
I've had two DII players drafted (Univ. of DC and Tusculum).  Both were players of the year, neither was outstanding stat-wise until their senior years.  I've never seen two DII players drafted in one season.  Maybe POY is a prerequisite, then a combination of stats and ratings get them bumped up to draft status. 
12/12/2010 11:05 PM
Anyone got a D3 player drafted. Maybe it's time for someone to give 50% distro to a RS FR and have him score 40+ for 4 straight seasons. 
12/13/2010 10:59 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Can this D2 player get drafted? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.