How's this for a better "boosters" system? Topic

Whenever someone uses a booster, instead of it going directly to the WCAA at a 95% rate, how about OTHER TEAMS find out about it and report it to the WCAA?

for example, you assistant coach sends you a message "hey, my cousin who works for Tennessee just heard something about David Trickle being paid" etc. you can then report this incident.

after reporting, your team may or may not remain anonymous, and the tip may or may not be true. you could get tips more often about guys you've recruited that are offered boosters, maybe even a recruit saying "you guys dont make the same offers that they make at Princeton" or something like that?

after thinking about this for 150 seconds, i like it so far...better than the current system, at least...
12/9/2010 8:17 PM
Could add a fun new element to the game. Whether it's a good idea or a bad idea, it would certainly be better than the current system, I will give you that.
12/9/2010 8:35 PM
I think booster gifts should hit your recruiting budget hard, and you should also have a 50% chance of getting away with it
12/9/2010 9:39 PM
I wish they would just get rid of them.

As a non-user, it sucks to be on the other end.
12/9/2010 9:52 PM
Posted by jetwildcat on 12/9/2010 8:17:00 PM (view original):
Whenever someone uses a booster, instead of it going directly to the WCAA at a 95% rate, how about OTHER TEAMS find out about it and report it to the WCAA?

for example, you assistant coach sends you a message "hey, my cousin who works for Tennessee just heard something about David Trickle being paid" etc. you can then report this incident.

after reporting, your team may or may not remain anonymous, and the tip may or may not be true. you could get tips more often about guys you've recruited that are offered boosters, maybe even a recruit saying "you guys dont make the same offers that they make at Princeton" or something like that?

after thinking about this for 150 seconds, i like it so far...better than the current system, at least...
sitemail Cecil Newton     
12/9/2010 9:53 PM
in real life, it doesn't cost anything (the boosters pay), the chances of getting away with it are like 85-90%, it has an enormous effect, and it has drastic consequences if caught. i'm new here, so i don't how it currently works in the game. thus, you can compare and contrast the game and real life as you like.
12/9/2010 9:55 PM
Posted by jetwildcat on 12/9/2010 8:17:00 PM (view original):

I'm no rat. Let it be, or get rid of it. Don't make it so I have to decide to be the heavy...
12/10/2010 7:10 AM
It needs to be removedor revamped.  I use them occasionally but its to expensive to find the right guys to take them.  In real life they are really effective.
12/10/2010 8:44 AM
I like the idea.  It could be called the "Bruce Pearl rule".   Then again, maybe we should have a rule that gives you a 90% chance of getting away with it for 3-4 seasons, which gives you a chance to move up to another school. The coach who takes your place gets screwed, and you don't have any penalty at all.  Plus your reputation among recruits goes up.   Call it  the "Calipari rule".
1/17/2011 5:46 PM
Calipari has never once been accused of cheating, but let's not let facts get in the way. Dumbass Marcus Camby took money from an agent and screwed Calipari out of a final four. You do realize that Calipari turned him in, right?
1/17/2011 5:52 PM
Posted by pjbrankin on 1/17/2011 5:52:00 PM (view original):
Calipari has never once been accused of cheating, but let's not let facts get in the way. Dumbass Marcus Camby took money from an agent and screwed Calipari out of a final four. You do realize that Calipari turned him in, right?
I have told this story on here before, but I got to the Final Four every year, and a few years ago randomly sat next to a guy who used to be Huggins' #1 assistant, who had transitioned into a low/mid-level player agent. We were talking about all different coaches, and he clearly knew his stuff. And he declared Calipari "the most crooked coach in the NCAA". 

Without looking at your profile, I'm going to guess that you're a Kentucky fan, because there's no one besides Kentucky fans or Coach Cal's relatives who would claim with a straight face that he's clean.

EDIT: And whaddaya know, checked the ol' profile and ... drumroll please ... Kentucky fan. Who could've possibly guessed!?

1/17/2011 5:57 PM
Posted by daalter on 1/17/2011 5:57:00 PM (view original):
I have told this story on here before, but I got to the Final Four every year, and a few years ago randomly sat next to a guy who used to be Huggins' #1 assistant, who had transitioned into a low/mid-level player agent. We were talking about all different coaches, and he clearly knew his stuff. And he declared Calipari "the most crooked coach in the NCAA". 

Without looking at your profile, I'm going to guess that you're a Kentucky fan, because there's no one besides Kentucky fans or Coach Cal's relatives who would claim with a straight face that he's clean.

EDIT: And whaddaya know, checked the ol' profile and ... drumroll please ... Kentucky fan. Who could've possibly guessed!?

as a kentucky fan, i would like to say, anybody who thinks calipari is dirty is clearly biased by not being a kentucky fan.
1/17/2011 6:02 PM
Posted by coach_billyg on 1/17/2011 6:02:00 PM (view original):

as a kentucky fan, i would like to say, anybody who thinks calipari is dirty is clearly biased by not being a kentucky fan.
Good point, billyg. I'm guessing that your Spidey Sense started tingling the moment I began to write something about the Cats/Calipari.

I've spent a fair amount of time around DI college hoops/football ... not as much as some of the people on this site, but more than most. And I will say that, with occasional exceptions, where there's smoke, there's fire. The guys that you hear a lot of consistent chatter about them being dirty, well ... they usually are. I'm not trying to pick on Calipari specifically, because I think there are plenty of dirty coaches littered throughout college athletics. But I guarantee that the same UK fans that are ready to canonize Calipari now were no doubt saying very different things about him a couple years ago before he came to Lexington.
1/17/2011 6:17 PM
Posted by girt25 on 1/17/2011 6:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by coach_billyg on 1/17/2011 6:02:00 PM (view original):

Good point, billyg. I'm guessing that your Spidey Sense started tingling the moment I began to write something about the Cats/Calipari.

I've spent a fair amount of time around DI college hoops/football ... not as much as some of the people on this site, but more than most. And I will say that, with occasional exceptions, where there's smoke, there's fire. The guys that you hear a lot of consistent chatter about them being dirty, well ... they usually are. I'm not trying to pick on Calipari specifically, because I think there are plenty of dirty coaches littered throughout college athletics. But I guarantee that the same UK fans that are ready to canonize Calipari now were no doubt saying very different things about him a couple years ago before he came to Lexington.
i knew it! caught red handed. you crazy non kentucky fans, what are we going to do with you? :)
1/17/2011 6:28 PM
I don't see the value of instituting a system that further promotes collusion or favoritism amongst rival coaches.
1/17/2011 7:20 PM
12 Next ▸
How's this for a better "boosters" system? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.