Unusual Recruiting Occurrence Topic

I had something similar happen this last off season. I had a d3 recruit with a c- d3 sim on him that rejected my initial home visit and campus visit. I was able to pull him down but it cost me over 8k to get him to sign and I never shook the sim off him.
6/26/2011 10:23 AM
Posted by jdaman on 6/26/2011 10:23:00 AM (view original):
I had something similar happen this last off season. I had a d3 recruit with a c- d3 sim on him that rejected my initial home visit and campus visit. I was able to pull him down but it cost me over 8k to get him to sign and I never shook the sim off him.
at least he answered the phone...
6/26/2011 11:29 AM
To be devil's advocate:  I have grown to like this issue and hope that it isn't "fixed".   I assume that there would be recruits that will refuse to consider a school for reasons that are not apparent to the recruiter in real-life as well.   I don't expect that it would accurately reflect recruiting if a kid that would consider playing in DIII or DII would consider playing for any DII or DIII school.  

They may just dislike some any reason or no reason.  It would be better if the recruits had some additional responses that back that up...they wouldn't even need to be reasonable.  I.E. "I don't like your team colors", "Your school wouldn't accept my sister", or "My parents went to your rival, I will never consider your school." 

I think that the lists during recruiting are designed to be partially misleading and that is part of the game.  Sometimes money will be spent to find that out.  I'm sure many will disagree.

6/26/2011 3:21 PM
Posted by rogelio on 6/26/2011 3:21:00 PM (view original):
To be devil's advocate:  I have grown to like this issue and hope that it isn't "fixed".   I assume that there would be recruits that will refuse to consider a school for reasons that are not apparent to the recruiter in real-life as well.   I don't expect that it would accurately reflect recruiting if a kid that would consider playing in DIII or DII would consider playing for any DII or DIII school.  

They may just dislike some any reason or no reason.  It would be better if the recruits had some additional responses that back that up...they wouldn't even need to be reasonable.  I.E. "I don't like your team colors", "Your school wouldn't accept my sister", or "My parents went to your rival, I will never consider your school." 

I think that the lists during recruiting are designed to be partially misleading and that is part of the game.  Sometimes money will be spent to find that out.  I'm sure many will disagree.

If that is how the game is going to work I will adjust. However, in my back and forth CS has said that if he is on the D III search list at the start of recruiting he would be available to be recruited by my D III team. Player refused calls and scholarship out of hand. I am at least the 4th person this recruiting period (including dahs and 2 other coaches just from my conference) running into this. CS is double talking.
6/26/2011 3:33 PM
Rogelio - I think the problem with your opinion is that (1) recruiting budgets are so tight and (2) recruiting cycles go by so fast.  If the impact of this problem was less, I might buy into your thinking.  But this had a pretty big impact for me in recruiting.  And as I noted earlier, I'm in the top D3 conference in Allen that provides me with an extra $5,000 in recruiting.  Without that cushion, the problem would have had a devastating impact.

While I was going after players that were refusing me, my dropdown targets were getting scooped up by other schools.  I could enter battles for those recruits but I have less in the war chest to do so.  (And in most cases I was at a geographic disadvantage that discourages battles, but that is a somewhat unique situation of me being in Maine.)

If everybody had to play it slow, like CS suggested to me, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have the random recruit refuse you.  You would have plenty of time to go after other targets and the loss of minimal resources wouldn't be a big deal.

But as it was for me, I payed it "fast" in going after two recruits that rejected me and I lost $4k in the process.  With $5k extra and four open scholarships, I was able to rebound pretty well even though it was annoying to lose my targeted dropdowns to other schools while I was involved in a dialog with CS.

But if I had only one scholarship, my rejects would have blown my budget.  Assuming I scouted states, my rejects likely blow the budget for two open spots.  I was lucky to have extra cash due to my open spots and kickass D3 conference.  For other schools, they'd be completely screwed.
6/26/2011 3:40 PM
I'm in the same conference, but had only 1 open ship. I only lost about $700 to my guy declining efforts, but did lose time like kujay, and ended up having to sign a castoff cut by a new coach at a conference foe. I could have taken a walkon I guess... point is I'd like them to acknowledge a situation, and at least tell me they'll work on fixing it. And in the future I guess I'll call everyone at D III or more likely just move on to D II where this bs doesn't happen...
6/26/2011 4:12 PM
conf foe, I thought we were conf buddies. better watch ur back when you walk through our gymnasium when you visit us this season.

Anyways, about 80% of the dropdowns JUCOs in Allen cannot be signed by me (A+ prestige). I find this interesting. 
6/26/2011 5:04 PM
Posted by tianyi7886 on 6/26/2011 5:04:00 PM (view original):
conf foe, I thought we were conf buddies. better watch ur back when you walk through our gymnasium when you visit us this season.

Anyways, about 80% of the dropdowns JUCOs in Allen cannot be signed by me (A+ prestige). I find this interesting. 
lol...we're all foes during recruiting!
6/26/2011 5:06 PM
ill send a ticket quoting yours... definitely a bug
6/26/2011 7:01 PM
◂ Prev 123
Unusual Recruiting Occurrence Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.