small or power? Topic

I have learned to ignore height and size and whether the player has a PF or SF in front of their name....

When you are looking for what sets a SF and PF a part what do you look for?

If athleticism  is the same in both players... the better defender should be PF? speedier guy should be SF? better rebounder PF? better perimeter shooter SF? better ball handler SF?

What are keys that you guys look at?

4/13/2013 6:04 PM
You should get a lot of different answers.   I don't think there is one right answer.

I treat SF like a third guard.  I tend to play my slowest and/or my best rebounder at the three.  I like him to have good BH and PASS so I can move him around.  If I am playing MAN, I'll move my best defender to the biggest offensive threat.  If my slowest guard  is my best defender I don't have any problem moving him to the 2 if that's where my opponents shooter is.

Because I think of my SF as a guard, I need my PF to be a rebounder.  I normally only look at DEF, REB, ATH, and SB in my bigs.   I tend to play the faster, better BH's at the 4 but move the players around based on defensive match up.

Alot of guys think you need a 30 in REB for a SF but I start guys in the single digits there all the time.
4/13/2013 6:31 PM
Do need a mentor craig? I wouldnt use me but if you have questions you should get one most people will help.
4/13/2013 6:37 PM
At SF, I focus primarily on ATH and DEF and SPD and REB after that. After that, as long as he isn't a liability (doesn't have to be good) in any other area, then he's a quality SF in my eyes.

At PF, I also focus primarily on ATH and DEF (you'll notice I do this at pretty much every position), and place a greater emphasis on REB and LP and less emphasis on PER, BH, and P.

4/13/2013 10:33 PM
I think of my PF as a big, similar to the C. The SF is a wild card for me. I try and get a guy who supplements what the other four starters are lacking. If your bigs are short on REB, play a mobile PF type with some ball skills at the three. If your guards arent great shooters, play a high PER guard with a little bit of REB there. It's all about building a balanced team, so it's hard to choose only a few attributes and say those are what I'm looking for in a SF.
4/14/2013 12:17 PM
I will put my most ATH/SP/DEF @ the 3 guard... considering on the roster ive put together.... i prefer to have my 3 spot be a guard, but if ive put together a roster with bigs on it, sometimes that doesn't always work out... in that case I will just put the most athletic person in the spot out of all my bigs
4/14/2013 1:38 PM
small or power? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.