4-16 release notes Topic

Interesting

Removed the ability to withdraw the following actions: Inform of Redshirt, Inform of Non-Redshirt, Promised Start, Promised Minutes. There were situations where submitting these actions had immediate consequences, so withdrawing was causing problems.
4/16/2013 9:58 AM
Seems like a good change. These are fundamentally different promises than scholarship offers; it'd be going too far if we couldn't take those back. But my gut reaction to this update is positive.
4/16/2013 10:27 AM
I noticed this bug this past week in Smith recruiting. I'm happy they did something about it, though I'd rather they fix the bug itself rather than take away the ability to withdraw these actions. I'm sure most people at one time or another have offered one of these and then realized it was a mistake and withdrew it before the cycle ended. Now we'd all be stuck.
4/16/2013 10:48 AM
I know of at least three coaches who noticed that, after withdrawing an action, that action seemed to persist at some level through recruiting.  Not sure about the positive ones (e.g. 15 minutes), but the negative ones (e.g. inform of redshirt) would, if withdrawn in the same cycle, still negatively impact the player's likelihood to sign.  They would still be considering, but wouldn't sign, sometimes all the way through the last day of recruiting, even with no one else considering, and seemingly enough other effort behind it.  

Like jsajsa said, it would be better if they *actually fixed* the bug, but papering over it by taking away the withdraw option at least keeps some coaches from ending up in the same situation.  
4/16/2013 11:16 AM
hey - at least this means they still employ programmers.
4/16/2013 11:19 AM
So there's our change for the next year.
4/16/2013 11:31 AM
I worry about screwing up.  Long ago, recruiting on a phone, I totally blew recruiting by promising starts to 4 guys when I thought I was clicking the itsy witsy box to offer a schollie.  Withdrawal will no longer let us fix that.  Just be careful out there all!

4/16/2013 12:15 PM
Not sure I like this, I have offered starts/minutes before at the early stages of a battle and then withdrawn to see how things play out as recruiting continues. I like to be able to reconsider my kneejerk reactions.
4/16/2013 1:38 PM
Of all the things they could fix this is it?  Come on man! 
4/16/2013 2:48 PM
At least it's an attempt to solve an issue.  They could be just doing more stuff like Player Roles.
4/16/2013 3:35 PM
Posted by grecianfox on 4/16/2013 1:38:00 PM (view original):
Not sure I like this, I have offered starts/minutes before at the early stages of a battle and then withdrawn to see how things play out as recruiting continues. I like to be able to reconsider my kneejerk reactions.
i concur with this. i think it was a small (very small) part of recruiting strategy that has been removed. recruiting needs more options, not less.
4/16/2013 4:15 PM
Posted by llamanunts on 4/16/2013 3:35:00 PM (view original):
At least it's an attempt to solve an issue.  They could be just doing more stuff like Player Roles.
Which there were plenty of people who wanted, even if you didn't ...
4/16/2013 4:19 PM
i had trouble in tark this time around after trying the withdraw redshirt. with a bunch of guys considering me alone (3 on south carolina, 1 on USC), and no actions around signings, those 4 guys all did not sign. it was really messed up, and i was kind of flipping out about it, thats a pretty serious/potentially catastrophic thing to happen (so i think those wondering why they would fix this, just probably havent experienced the severity of the issue - but to me, its an extremely serious issue).

anyway, from 8-11 i did some visits + minutes, and that got me a new scholarship message (which without an issue, makes no sense), and then they signed at 2. i talked to seble about it, gave him all the details, and suggested he took those options away - they dont even make sense, logically - what the heck is an "undo" on a redshirt after promises - do you bring the promises back or what? (well, i suggested taking away withdrawl on redshirt/no redshirt, but i guess it makes sense to take it all the way).

anyway, many thanks for seble for helping me through this issue (although i got the guys to sign on my own), and props on the quick fix. he explained that after the redshirt/withdraw redshirt, guys actually stopped considering me - but because there was no action to process, it didnt show up! so i had guys considering me (not really, but it showed up that way), without them actually considering me, which explains the scholarship message. i think a ghost redshirt actually stuck around too, but its not entirely clear to me exactly what the combination of problems was, to create such a strange outcome. anyway, glad it was fixed -- thanks seble!
4/16/2013 5:06 PM (edited)
Posted by grecianfox on 4/16/2013 1:38:00 PM (view original):
well, if you dont like it, blame me, not seble :) we never used to be able to undo anything, and i think the goal was to let people undo things without doing a lot of work - but these situations can get too complex and convoluted, its not even clear what is supposed to happen - so its definitely non-trivial to fix. thats why i asked seble to remove the option instead of fixing it, i mean im sure he made his own decision, but after thinking about it a while, i felt pretty strongly that was the best course of action. 
4/16/2013 4:56 PM
I don't recall any requests for that tool, but maybe I missed them.  I do remember a lukewarm-to-derisive reception.
4/16/2013 4:59 PM
123 Next ▸
4-16 release notes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.