So i guess RPI doesn't mean what it used to Topic

39 RPI, 23-6 record and PIT bound.. not even a 1 seed in the PIT either. Its been a while since I played HD guess they made RPI mean less
1/31/2014 5:14 PM
yup, projection report is the good predictor - factors that feed it are somewhere
1/31/2014 5:20 PM
Its gone to hell, I got a 79 rpi didn't make the pit, a couple of 100+ rpi with similar records made it..........
1/31/2014 5:24 PM
I think RPI relies to heavily on home vs. away games. Scheduling a lot of away games for NC can really inflate your RPI
1/31/2014 5:55 PM
but an away-heavy noncon  doesnt help in the projection report?
1/31/2014 6:09 PM
There is a thread that gets into specifics of how projection report is formulated, but an away-heavy non-con against pitiful competition does not help.  If your conference schedule is just brutal, then you probably need to schedule Ws in the non-con.  If you have too many SimAI coached cream-puffs in your conference, then you need to schedule some TOP 100 and TOP 50 RPI competition in the non-con.  It really won't matter much whether it's home or away against the better teams.
1/31/2014 6:17 PM
RPI means the same as it always has.  
Several seasons ago WIS added the projection report feature that actually tells you where you will be seeded in the post season.  
2/1/2014 2:33 AM
That's wrong mully. In the past RPI was basically the formula for getting into the NT. Before the projection report a 39 RPI with that record would have definitely been in the NT. Now the RPI is just a small part of the formula, just like in real life. RPI is used more to measure the quality of opponents you beat versus what your RPI actually is. 
2/1/2014 6:45 AM
And I think RPI meaning less is a very good thing, because RPI could be gamed to death. With the projection report you can't just get by on hollow road wins; you actually need to have done SOMETHING along the way. Better.
2/1/2014 8:31 AM
Posted by joco45215 on 1/31/2014 5:24:00 PM (view original):
Its gone to hell, I got a 79 rpi didn't make the pit, a couple of 100+ rpi with similar records made it..........
Look into the specific games making up the RPI; bet the lower RPI teams had several more 'signature' wins than the 79 did.
2/1/2014 8:33 AM
Yeah, anyone complaining about RPI meaning less doesn't understand RPI.
2/1/2014 10:15 AM
so....  the idea of scheduling a bunch of away noncons vs 120-150rpi teams is not really a good formula for improving your NT chances and seeding (lets assume im not talking about a powerhouse conference schedule)?

it would seem then that you would want to schedule home games vs teams that were top100.   
and maybe even scheduling home games against mostly top50 rpi teams if you feel you are a top team that can beat these "barely NT" teams

i wonder if the formula lumps teams together like it implies it does...

• Record
  • Overall RPI
  • Non-conference record
  • Non-conference RPI
  • Conference record
  • Conference RPI
  • Road record
  • Record in last 10 games
  • Record against teams ranked 1-50 by RPI
  • Record against teams ranked 51-100 by RPI
  • Record against teams ranked 101-200 by RPI
  • Record against teams ranked below 200 by RPI

in other words... is a win over 49 rpi equivalent to a win over #1 rpi  (for the particular section that references 1-50 rpi,,, obviously it is not equivalent in your own rpi)
that would imply that a good strategy would be playing teams with rpi 31 to 50 as much as possible.   if you are a weaker team trying to sneak into the NT,  these teams will be far more upsetable than the elite teams,  and if you are an elite team, you should win the majority of these and get some nice credit for doing so,

I realize that you cant just plug in "play teams with rpi 31-50" when you are scheduling,  but you cantarget the goodnotgreat and do a decent job of finding the type team you want to play, i think

i realize that this all kinda falls under  "gaming the system"  and really doesnt do anything to help improve your team..... or does it?   if it can get you into the NT ocassionally when you dont deserve it,  and if it can get you a little better seed each year,  and if that better seeding occassionally nets you and extra win because you played a slightly weaker opponent than you other wise would have..... then your prestige might end up very slightly higher and who knows if that might help turn the tides in an important recruiting battle or scare away foes during recruiting?   i think you grab every edge you can.  the only exception i make to that is that i do like to play some elite coaches in noncon every year.... whehter that helps my NT chances or not.  under most circumstances i like to play at least 2 or 3 elite coaches and establish some rivalry and try to learn from observing thier stratgey,   if i have a really good team,  i like to schedule even mroe of the games vs elite coaches.   also,  i prefer to schedule humans vs sims in most cases.  exception might be rebuilds where i really need wins and dont want to have to gameplan too much

2/1/2014 10:31 AM
Mine is "try to schedule the best teams you think you can beat"
2/1/2014 10:35 AM
Posted by kmasonbx1 on 2/1/2014 6:45:00 AM (view original):
That's wrong mully. In the past RPI was basically the formula for getting into the NT. Before the projection report a 39 RPI with that record would have definitely been in the NT. Now the RPI is just a small part of the formula, just like in real life. RPI is used more to measure the quality of opponents you beat versus what your RPI actually is. 
I think you are wrong here mason.

The formula for theNT has always been the same.  The issue was users (like this one) either compaining that they didn't get in OR that their seed was way off from the RPI number.   So ADMIN made the projection report "visible" for everyone so that they knew at the end of the season exactly where they stood.

I believe the projection report calculation has always been the driver for post season selection.

^^I've been wrong once before on the forums so I could be here as well, but those are my thoughts.  :)
2/1/2014 10:46 AM
Posted by mullycj on 2/1/2014 10:46:00 AM (view original):
Posted by kmasonbx1 on 2/1/2014 6:45:00 AM (view original):
I think you are wrong here mason.

The formula for theNT has always been the same.  The issue was users (like this one) either compaining that they didn't get in OR that their seed was way off from the RPI number.   So ADMIN made the projection report "visible" for everyone so that they knew at the end of the season exactly where they stood.

I believe the projection report calculation has always been the driver for post season selection.

^^I've been wrong once before on the forums so I could be here as well, but those are my thoughts.  :)
lol... no mully, its not even close to the same, im actually kind of surprised to hear anyone intelligent like yourself make such a suggestion! admin made it perfectly clear, im pretty sure, that the projection report was a new & different formula. but if you watch who makes it where, i don't think its even close, which is why i am surprised. for example, d2 conferences like the gulf south in allen and the GLV in tark could never have put up the stats they put up in the new engine era - it was an instant and drastic change - teams who previously got **** on for having a bunch of conference losses could often see their seed cut in half, compared to the old method. the old GLV at its peak was as good as the "newer" GLV at its peak, or at least roughly so, but the seeding was dramatically different - old GLV would be like, 1, 1, 3, 6, 10, 13 with those 10 and 13 teams often being easily top 25 in the nation. new GLV would be like 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, sending almost twice as many teams without that much improvement on the lower half of the conference, and pulling in ridiculously higher seed for teams that weren't the top 2-3 in the conference. i remember old GLV having teams with a 16 rpi getting an 8 seed, 12 rpi pulling a 6, 20-25 pulling 10-13 seeds. this wasn't occasionally, it was almost every season, and very often multiple times per season. the old formula killed you for having too many losses, the new formula is drastically different on that front. the introduction of the record vs top X rpi is clearly new or much more heavily weighted in the new formula, IMO.
2/1/2014 11:11 AM (edited)
123 Next ▸
So i guess RPI doesn't mean what it used to Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.