I am frustrated with this game, especially after my latest NT loss.

I've got every outside shooter I have with high distro and a +2 figuring my opponent is going to maybe go -2 or -3 on me. I start reading play by play and see he's gone -5 and I'm jumping for joy thinking he just handed me a win. Instead, we get beat by double digits as my guys only shoot 3-10 from behind the arc.

I'm venting my frustration. This game doesn't make any sense sometimes, and it seems like I don't end up winning with nonsense settings, I always end up losing to them. 

I think I am cursed when it comes to HD. I've played it the most, and done well at it, but my teams very rarely get far in the NT and I've never won a title despite playing this game more than any other (and I've won multiple titles in every other game I've played on this site).

3/7/2015 8:30 AM
They don't seemingly have high distro at all.  You've presented a very balanced scoring attack all season.  The guy that took the most shots for you was against their man-to-man best defender on their team.   I wouldn't have let Bethel shoot at all that game.  You have a couple decent perimeter guys, but no one is shooting it lights out either.

His starters seem good, but you might have an edge off the bench and you probably have better IQ on your bench than his.  Also you have much better stamina and are probably deeper overall...why not uptempo?  Looks like the game is a toss-up to me and would probably go about 50/50 if played over and over.
3/7/2015 8:52 AM
I understand his logics. He is strong defensively at 1-2 spots. He feels you are dangerous at the 4-5 offensively. I think you just had a bad game, but his strategy is pretty good. Like you, I don't know why you do not hit more outside shots and threes... Your FG% makes me wonder. Sometimes, It's the offense... Motion seems to be easier to play than flex or triangle. Passing is needed in these offense.
3/7/2015 9:37 AM
This is exactly what's wrong with the game.

Yes, I was balanced all season. However, I wasn't in this game. The WRONG guy took the most shots - that's part of the point of what's wrong. In fact, his distro was FAR lower than other players who shot less.

It doesn't matter that no one is lights out from three on our team. Against a -5, even a modestly talented guy should be able to shoot as if he's lights out. Otherwise there is no negative to setting at -5 every single game unless someone has several highly talented perimeter players and sets them all to +2 with high distro, which even if they have those guys they probably don't do that every single game.

His team is good, mine is better, and by enough that if the engine had my guys shoot like it should have, we should have won in a landslide against a -5. Again, it seems like settings don't have any negative features. Go -5, win the game even when you shouldn't.

No uptempo because he has good defensive values. Or perhaps you are right - I should have gone uptempo, since I've noticed THAT setting also seems to have no downside. You can run uptempo all you want and it doesn't matter what the other team does or how good their defensive ratings are, you won't turn it over any more than at normal or slowdown.

Seriously, I want to know where the "penalty" comes in for playing at some lopsided settings. Where is the increase in turnovers for uptempo against a good defense? Where is the getting killed by threes even by half decent perimeter guys for playing -5? Where is the huge rebound differential for playing +5?

Without those factors, the settings don't have much meaning.

BTW, I don't see this game as a toss up at all. I honestly see it as going about 60/40 in my favor, all else not considered. With him at -5 and my distros and threes the way they were, I honestly thought I was 90+ percent to win when I started reading the play by play.  Then my settings apparently didn't matter, and we only shot 10 threes (and only hit three? against a -5 that's a low percentage) and the wrong guys were shooting. It was like my settings didn't even work.

3/7/2015 9:37 AM
Checking the offense, the passing. I don't understand why it went like this. I'd say a bad game. Your team had one in them, it should of been a lot closer.
3/7/2015 9:38 AM
He is a bit more athletic than your team, you are a bit more speedy, he defends the rim better, but it is irrelevant considering he went -5 and you guys should shoot the lights out. You have better scorers Inside and outside, passing and ballhandling is even. So 60 % / 40 % is probably close to reality, but I'd like other coaches to give their opinion. Simulation is simulation, you can have a bad game.
3/7/2015 10:00 AM
It seems the issue isn't that they didn't shoot lights out from 3...it's that they took 10 total attempts with a few +2 settings, and really only 9 as one of those 3's was a full-court shot at the end of the half.  If he shot 33 percent but gone 9-for-27, that would be more understandable as bad shooting nights happen, open or not.  But to only TAKE 10 3's against a packed defense, that's where it gets a bit convoluted. 

Only thing I can figure is LaChance's defender was considerably higher in ATH/SPD so he couldn't get open.  Horn's defender was also considerably faster.  Perhaps the effects of the -5 are lessened for a defense if they have a SPD edge at the guard spots?
3/7/2015 10:32 AM
Glad this is a rant topic. I just lost in S16 in IBA and spent 30 minutes gameplanning, but it didn't matter. Yes the other team was better, but I thought I game planned better to win. How do my best 2 defenders giveup the most points and his worse defender shuts down my best scorer. Why game plan if the computer is not going to take that into consideration. My pg, 93sp 92per, 79bh went 3-13 & 2-10 3's against his pg 84sp, 42ath, and 44 def. Than my C 84ath, 91 def gives up 22 points to his C at 86 ath and 69 lp. Why bother gameplanning.

I here you bistiza, this game doesn't take into consideration some changes you make to your team. It seems like it's mostly luck.
3/7/2015 11:06 AM
Terps : The question shoud be this, when do you need to send your gameplanning so it is taken into consideration? Maybe it's the problem. Is there a time limit. Terps : Did he double your PG or your C? Maybe it's the reason for one of the two.
3/7/2015 11:17 AM
Wondering how you set your distro?

Was it using the 3-2-1 ratio system, or did you dole out all 100 available distro points? In the recent distro thread, some people said they set distro at 3 for their main scorers, and 1 for their lesser scorers. I've wondered about this strategy because I would think using distros of 20 and 1 instead would improve the ratio to the point where the "20" players would get significantly more shots.

In our recent CT in Crum, one of our conference mates said on the message board that he put his 2 guards at like 60 and 25 for distro, and they did shoot a ton.
3/7/2015 11:53 AM
Dice rolls.
3/7/2015 12:02 PM
Yeah, what was your distro setup?.....that might be the problem
3/7/2015 12:18 PM
One of the other things to keep in mind is that distro doesn't necessarily equal shots. If guys aren't open after the play is run for then hopefully they aren't shooting

Would be interesting to know you're distro tho.
3/7/2015 12:33 PM
On the play by play what are the double teams
3/7/2015 1:03 PM
I agree with steviescott. 30% isn't so much the problem, shooting only 9 3's was.
3/7/2015 1:22 PM
1|2|3...10 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.