Posted by fd343ny on 12/22/2016 1:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by kcsundevil on 12/22/2016 1:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by fd343ny on 12/22/2016 1:13:00 PM (view original):
I think card counting misses the point because it relates to dependent events - where the cards that have been used have an effect on the cards that will be played in the near future

Here, the events - the results of probabilistic recruiting of different players - are independent (except to the extent that two recruits in the same world compete for resources and attention.

But, there is some potential for someone who is told the odds to figure out more about prestige, effort and preferences interact. Whether knowing the algebra in greater detail will have a meaningful competitive effect is hard for me to assess. I've often thought that some folks care more than I do about some data - like exactly how much growth potential a player has. It matters, but whether it is - say - plus 22 or plus 24 rarely would affect my behavior

the planned data seems to me mostly to play a valuable educational tool - helping folks see the contours of battles
Sigh.
sorry

I think its a good thing for the game
There ain't no good guy, there ain't no bad guy. There's only you and me and we just disagree.
12/22/2016 1:24 PM
Posted by fd343ny on 12/22/2016 12:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by skinndogg on 12/22/2016 11:47:00 AM (view original):
It would be nice if WIS worked more like my work. The people who complain the most and are the most negative have a more difficult to get their quarterly bonus.

So if any of the big time naysayers happen to find themselves into a Championship game, let the administration tweak their odds of winning.

And then they'll really have a reason to complain, but then it will always come back to being their own responsibility. "Don't bite the hands that feeds you", "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar", and my favorite "He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery. "

consider the difference between customers and employees

fd,

I would like to point out especially customers. I also don't complain at a restaurant when they get my order wrong. I triple dog dare someone to send their order back to the kitchen saying they cooked it wrong or they brought you the wrong veggie.

Go ahead and eat what they bring back to you, if you do you trust the goodness of humanity way too much. : ) Or you have not watched enough U-tube videos. If you catch someone having a bad day, and you are being rude, you deserve what you get.

12/22/2016 1:51 PM
Posted by mbriese on 12/22/2016 1:00:00 PM (view original):
I had to google "pugnacious". I don't think I'm very argumentative at all in most threads, but when someone says "I respect you, but" and then says something very disrespectful, it's like saying "no offense, but" and saying something that's clearly meant to be offensive. The points I made in that post were valid, and there's nothing you (as a 2.0 naysayer) can contribute but "heh, dude prolly can't even count cards, TL;DR".
That's ironically funny ... coming from a guy who only makes smart @$$ dismissive remarks and adds nothing substantive to the conversation.

You, Ward, Spud, and MikeT can all take turns pleasuring the administration ... and each other too.
12/22/2016 1:59 PM (edited)
Sorry, I'm not into Spud. Now, those other guys..............
12/22/2016 2:03 PM
Well this thread has gone downhill fast and gotten to be a lot of fun. hahaha
12/22/2016 2:09 PM
Posted by phalla on 12/22/2016 1:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mbriese on 12/22/2016 1:00:00 PM (view original):
I had to google "pugnacious". I don't think I'm very argumentative at all in most threads, but when someone says "I respect you, but" and then says something very disrespectful, it's like saying "no offense, but" and saying something that's clearly meant to be offensive. The points I made in that post were valid, and there's nothing you (as a 2.0 naysayer) can contribute but "heh, dude prolly can't even count cards, TL;DR".
That's ironically funny ... coming from a guy who only makes smart @$$ dismissive remarks and adds nothing substantive to the conversation.

You, Ward, Spud, and MikeT can all take turns pleasuring the administration ... and each other too.
mbriese is a decent guy in my experience. Life is too short for taking internet stuff seriously.
12/22/2016 2:20 PM
Full disclosure - phalla slipped into my DMs to tell me off. Not sure what I did to him, but I'd be completely comfortable blaming it on Mike.
12/22/2016 2:26 PM
Happens all the time. I'm good with it.
12/22/2016 2:31 PM
How has this gotten to 4 pages without somebody noticing that all of a sudden now we can have different worlds run with different rules, when a few months ago we were told that was completely impossible?
12/22/2016 2:45 PM
its the end of the world as we know it
12/22/2016 3:05 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 12/22/2016 2:45:00 PM (view original):
How has this gotten to 4 pages without somebody noticing that all of a sudden now we can have different worlds run with different rules, when a few months ago we were told that was completely impossible?
I think this is a bit different. I think you're referring to the worlds running 2.0 while others running 3.0, right?

Maybe it's different in the programming? I dunno. Seems pretty minor change though, no?
12/22/2016 3:06 PM
Posted by Benis on 12/22/2016 3:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 12/22/2016 2:45:00 PM (view original):
I think this is a bit different. I think you're referring to the worlds running 2.0 while others running 3.0, right?

Maybe it's different in the programming? I dunno. Seems pretty minor change though, no?
It would be completely different. My guess is that they have all of the worlds in separate databases running off the same engine. Changing small cosmetic things (which, this update is cosmetic - the data was already there, now they're just showing it to us) is as easy as copying one line of code from their test server over to the Iba DB, it doesn't change the engine at all.
12/22/2016 3:41 PM
Why would anyone believe "we can't" in the first place? It's their program. They can do pretty much anything they choose.
12/22/2016 4:21 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/22/2016 1:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 12/22/2016 12:35:00 PM (view original):
Not for nothing, but if someone can (and is willing to invest the time to) reverse engineer a formula with 8-11 variables that all have unknown weight and range I think they are probably going to win regardless.....

I am pretty good at math, statistics, and probability and that is pretty far beyond what I can do. I have a feel for relative value but nothing more than that.
Someone will be willing to invest the time. Guaranteed.
My thoughts exactly. It is beyond my abilities but it wont be beyond everyone's...somebody will crack the formula and dominate. Why release this information at all? KCsundevil's initial reaction is, IMHO, correct.
12/22/2016 9:42 PM
Posted by fd343ny on 12/22/2016 3:05:00 PM (view original):
its the end of the world as we know it
...and I feel fine.
12/22/2016 9:44 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.