Ok, new tactic on troublesome posters Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 1/8/2017 8:09:00 AM (view original):
Damn. noteamguy lurking at midnight. Really?
I don't understand why people make up rules about who can and can't post about HD. "You don't have any teams - I don't care if you used to play!" - "You weren't around in 2.0, stop trying to give your opinion!" - "Oh yeah? Nobody cares what you think, look at your coach history, you don't have any championships!"

Quick reminder: we're all nerds arguing about variables in a sports simulation game. This isn't some high-brow club that requires some sort of validation to be able to take part in. Relax.
1/8/2017 9:27 AM
Dunno about blocking people. No law says you have to read their posts--skimming should tell you if there is any real content. And if you block someone for getting annoyed at the clones, you will be blocking some of the serious posters. Then again, making a list and checking it twice does have its attractions.
1/8/2017 10:03 AM
Posted by mbriese on 1/8/2017 9:27:00 AM (view original):
I don't understand why people make up rules about who can and can't post about HD. "You don't have any teams - I don't care if you used to play!" - "You weren't around in 2.0, stop trying to give your opinion!" - "Oh yeah? Nobody cares what you think, look at your coach history, you don't have any championships!"

Quick reminder: we're all nerds arguing about variables in a sports simulation game. This isn't some high-brow club that requires some sort of validation to be able to take part in. Relax.
I'm not making rules. Hell, look at my post count. I just find it odd that someone lurks forums of games they don't play. I don't eat spinach. I'm not lurking the spinachrecipes.com forums.
1/8/2017 5:31 PM
If blocking was allowed back in the day I doubt anyone would be reading this now...
1/8/2017 5:33 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/8/2017 5:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mbriese on 1/8/2017 9:27:00 AM (view original):

I'm not making rules. Hell, look at my post count. I just find it odd that someone lurks forums of games they don't play. I don't eat spinach. I'm not lurking the spinachrecipes.com forums.
Well maybe you should. There are some pretty tasty dishes that you can make that involve spinach. Also, Popeye.
1/8/2017 5:36 PM
I'm pretty sure he bought a GD team so he could post in the HD forums. Weird ****.
1/8/2017 5:38 PM
I finally blocked two people that just troll every single thread. It's going to make reading the forums much more enjoyable.

I like the forums because I can learn new strategies and try to answer questions to help new users. I also enjoy the camaraderie with others who enjoy the game.

I have never blocked anyone before, but blocking just two people has cleaned up the forums to the point where I can read things I am actually interested in, as opposed to random insults hurled at pretty much anyone that makes a post.

I think we should all block users like that, and not respond to their posts. If there's not a response, I think eventually they will quit trolling because they are not getting the attention they want.
1/9/2017 12:04 AM
Posted by chapelhillne on 1/9/2017 12:04:00 AM (view original):
I finally blocked two people that just troll every single thread. It's going to make reading the forums much more enjoyable.

I like the forums because I can learn new strategies and try to answer questions to help new users. I also enjoy the camaraderie with others who enjoy the game.

I have never blocked anyone before, but blocking just two people has cleaned up the forums to the point where I can read things I am actually interested in, as opposed to random insults hurled at pretty much anyone that makes a post.

I think we should all block users like that, and not respond to their posts. If there's not a response, I think eventually they will quit trolling because they are not getting the attention they want.
Have you guys ever actually blocked someone? Every time they post, the forum gives you the option of seeing their post or not. That's the only difference - you see a prompt asking if you'd like to view the post. Block whoever you want to block, but you're still going to be reading their posts if you want to understand the context of the thread.
1/9/2017 11:39 AM
The whole point of blocking it is that most of the time the blocked post does not even pertain to the thread. It's just a snarky remark about the previous poster designed to start an argument. I'd rather just see information that I'm interested in that is actually discussing the thread.
1/9/2017 8:14 PM
Posted by chapelhillne on 1/9/2017 8:14:00 PM (view original):
The whole point of blocking it is that most of the time the blocked post does not even pertain to the thread. It's just a snarky remark about the previous poster designed to start an argument. I'd rather just see information that I'm interested in that is actually discussing the thread.
Fair enough. I just hope you don't do that thing - "What're you guys talking about? I can't see the posts his conversation stems from because I blocked so-and-so. Guys. Guys. I blocked them." That's the worst.
1/9/2017 8:58 PM
You still see the snarky posts because people link them. Doubt the blocking algorithm is sophisticated enough to block out their stuff if it is linked, so why bother. Just scroll down. Nobody makes you read Mr Potatohead or Mikey. It makes the thread longer and harder to negotiate, but that's minor.
TL
1/10/2017 10:33 AM
If nothing else, most of my posts are 2-3 lines or less. Should be easy enough to scroll over. And mbriese is right. The folks who block people, and I have several people blocked, tend to want to make sure everyone knows they blocked a user so they do what he described. chapelline made it a point, in two threads, to tell everyone he was blocking me so he's a prime candidate for that.
1/10/2017 10:39 AM
Posted by CoachWard95 on 1/7/2017 3:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jskenner on 1/7/2017 2:04:00 PM (view original):
Not sure if this will work, but I'm going to try it and see. From the time of this post, I'm going to block any posters I personally see as troublesome. Since this alone won't fix much of anything, because those responding to these posters will tend to include quotes and ad nauseam back-and-forth insults, I'm also going to block any posters who respond to the troublesome posters in any way, even though this would block some very intelligent posters with consistently well-thought input. In other words, I'll block both the bad guys and anyone who doesn't completely and permanently ignore them. I imagine most of you realize I'm referring to Spud as just the latest troublesome poster, and you're right, and I'll continue to add to that list as other TPs present themselves.

Like I said, I'm not sure this will work, but I'm doing this with a fully "no worries" expectation. Here goes. :)
I have develop a tactic on how to beat these troublesome posters and trollers. Its like the fight between Globalisim and Amercanisim. Debate with them, and use sources and data to beat them and they won't say a thing.
What exactly is Globalism? And what's a good description of Americanism?
1/10/2017 6:14 PM
You don't want to go that deep into ward's brain. You just don't.
1/10/2017 6:54 PM
◂ Prev 12
Ok, new tactic on troublesome posters Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.