Impacts of 3 PT Frequency Topic

Does setting 3 pt frequency to -1 or even 0 open up scoring opportunities for primarily non 3 pt scorers? i.e. if a player is only going to shoot 33% from deep, is it still worth it to at least take the occasional three to keep the defense honest?

3/24/2017 2:23 PM
Posted by jaif31 on 3/24/2017 2:23:00 PM (view original):
Does setting 3 pt frequency to -1 or even 0 open up scoring opportunities for primarily non 3 pt scorers? i.e. if a player is only going to shoot 33% from deep, is it still worth it to at least take the occasional three to keep the defense honest?

Nope, you want players to be efficient.
3/24/2017 2:31 PM
Thanks.. but I guess my real question is does overall efficiency improve? Will my 2 pt efficiency improve enough (or at all) to make up for a slight decrease from a low 3 pt %.
3/24/2017 2:34 PM
If a player is going to shoot 33% on 3s I'm fine with him taking them occasionally. Efficiency wise that is basically equal to shooting 50% on 2s.

I don't think setting players to -1 or 0 makes the defense open up or play more honest in the way it would in real life. The game isn't that advanced. But it helps to have some 3 point shooting to keep the defense from packing it in because that will then hurt your overall efficiency. You can get away with being one dimensional against sims but other users should be able to exploit it.
3/24/2017 2:44 PM
Posted by jaif31 on 3/24/2017 2:34:00 PM (view original):
Thanks.. but I guess my real question is does overall efficiency improve? Will my 2 pt efficiency improve enough (or at all) to make up for a slight decrease from a low 3 pt %.
I would be surprised if the game engine has enough intelligence built into it to dynamically adjust in the way that you are implying here.

I think it's all about offensive and defensive game planning. Both yours and your opponents.

As others have said . . . play to your strengths. Don't encourage your players (via settings) to attempt shots that they're going to struggle making. You're just hurting yourself. Higher risk with no reward.
3/24/2017 2:53 PM
Good question!! Technically the 3 or 2 point setting is based on range. So, like +2 is Steph Curry range +1 is J.J Reddick range 0 is Jamal Crawford range. -1 is Lebron's range, and -2 is Shaq's range. Just to give you a idea on how this work.

So if you want a +2 player and a double digit performer each night. You would need to have a per of 70+. +1 would be 60-69. -1 would be 59 and below etc.

In your case If you set a +2 player that is naturally a +2 player like 70+ . To -2 your efficiency would automatically go up from inside the paint and arc area. Just make sure you have the right distribution. if its 70 and above I would go 11 distribution. That's the elite scorer who is gonna score double digits in a game.
3/24/2017 2:58 PM
Posted by CoachWard95 on 3/24/2017 2:58:00 PM (view original):
Good question!! Technically the 3 or 2 point setting is based on range. So, like +2 is Steph Curry range +1 is J.J Reddick range 0 is Jamal Crawford range. -1 is Lebron's range, and -2 is Shaq's range. Just to give you a idea on how this work.

So if you want a +2 player and a double digit performer each night. You would need to have a per of 70+. +1 would be 60-69. -1 would be 59 and below etc.

In your case If you set a +2 player that is naturally a +2 player like 70+ . To -2 your efficiency would automatically go up from inside the paint and arc area. Just make sure you have the right distribution. if its 70 and above I would go 11 distribution. That's the elite scorer who is gonna score double digits in a game.
???? So Lebron can't make a 3?
3/24/2017 3:08 PM

I appreciate Ward's enthusiasm, but most of this is just wrong and bad advice. Definitely don't set a player with 60 PER to +1.
3/24/2017 3:12 PM

If I'm not mistaken, you're asking if the D will adjust their + setting if the offense if firing up 3s. If that's the question, I'm sure not. However, the team setting allows for +/- based on point differential at specific times.
3/24/2017 3:16 PM
Posted by jcee1281 on 3/24/2017 3:08:00 PM (view original):

???? So Lebron can't make a 3?
Not all the time no, I was just trying to find a fit for Lebron's range.
3/24/2017 3:17 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/24/2017 3:16:00 PM (view original):

If I'm not mistaken, you're asking if the D will adjust their + setting if the offense if firing up 3s. If that's the question, I'm sure not. However, the team setting allows for +/- based on point differential at specific times.
He is definitely not asking that question...
3/24/2017 3:19 PM
I'm not sure if an individual player's 2pt% will go up if you have him shoot more 3's - i don't know if the game takes their worst 2pt attempts and makes them 3's... BUT if you shoot enough 3's, you might be able to draw the other team's positioning out and that will improve your 2pt%
3/24/2017 3:23 PM (edited)
And it has nothing to do with range, it's about the % of total shots that player will take from 3-point land. That said, a player's LP rating will also affect the number of 3's a player takes. All other things being equal, if player A had a LP of 50 and a PER of 99 and player B had a LP of 1 and PER of 99 and both had the same exact distro and both were set to (0), player B is going to take far more of his shots from 3-pt range than player A. The 50 LP of player A is going to tell the engine to take more 2-pt attempts.

Taking a quick glance at your two teams, everyone on Baruch should be set to (-2) and only Sloane on Whitman should be (-1) (everyone else on Whitman should be a (-2). A few other things affect a player's ability to make threes. IQ, speed, and ball handling ratings also play a role in making threes, in addition to the PER rating.
3/24/2017 3:25 PM (edited)
Posted by benrudy on 3/24/2017 3:23:00 PM (view original):
I'm not sure if an individual player's 2pt% will go up if you have him shoot more 3's - i don't know if the game takes their worst 2pt attempts and makes them 3's... BUT if you shoot enough 3's, you might be able to draw the other team's positioning out and that will improve your 2pt%
Wouldn't that be more of the opposite?? "I'm not sure if an individual player's 2pt% will go up if you have him shoot more 3's" The player would have bad EPR from both 3 point range and 2 point range? I agree with this "BUT if you shoot enough 3's, you can draw the other team's positioning out and that will improve your 2pt%".
3/24/2017 3:23 PM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 3/24/2017 3:22:00 PM (view original):
And it has nothing to do with range, it's about the % of total shots that player will take from 3-point range. That said, a player's LP rating will also affect the number of 3's a player takes. All other things being equal, if player A had a LP of 50 and a PER of 99 and player B had a LP of 1 and PER of 99 and both had the same exact distro and both were set to (0), player B is going to take far more of his shots from 3-pt range than player A. The 50 LP of player A is going to tell the engine to take more 2-pt attempts.

Taking a quick glance at your two teams, everyone on Baruch should be set to (-2) and only Sloane on Whitman should be (-1) (everyone else on Whitman should be a (-2). A few other things affect a player's ability to make threes. IQ, speed, and ball handling ratings also play a role in making threes, in addition to the PER rating.
That is what I am saying darnoc29099?
3/24/2017 3:24 PM
1234 Next ▸
Impacts of 3 PT Frequency Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.