D2 D3 and early eantries Topic

I love all the ee "debates" on this board, particularly the ones who add, "I mostly play D2/3, but it's really not an issue. They add a lot o the conversation.

I have a proposal for this crowd that could be a good solution to the ee issue altogether.

Why dont we keep the ee issue as is...
Let's have the top 60 players from D2 transfer, using the NCAA grad transfer rule to schools where they think they'd get more exposure. Better yet, let's have a random 60 out of the top 100 D2 players transfer before the second recruiting season.
Then let's do the same thing at D3... a random 60 out of the top 100 D3 players transfer before the second recruiting season.

That will also teach D2&D3 people the lessons all the D1 guys have to learn...
1) try not to make your team too good or hog too much talent, that's just being greedy and entitled!
2) deal with it, you should plan ahead for losing players. It's not that hard to recruit in the second season!
3) don't whine.

thoughts?
3/28/2017 8:53 AM
Posted by stewdog on 3/28/2017 8:53:00 AM (view original):
I love all the ee "debates" on this board, particularly the ones who add, "I mostly play D2/3, but it's really not an issue. They add a lot o the conversation.

I have a proposal for this crowd that could be a good solution to the ee issue altogether.

Let's have the top 60 players from D2 transfer, using the NCAA grad transfer rule to schools where they think they'd get more exposure. Better yet, let's have a random 60 out of the top 100 D2 players transfer before the second recruiting season.
Then let's do the same thing at D3... a random 60 out of the top 100 D3 players transfer before the second recruiting season.

1) try not to make your team too good or hog too much talent, that's just being greedy and entitled!
2) deal with it, you should plan ahead for losing players. It's not that hard to recruit in the second season!
3) don't whine.

thoughts?
I suggested or asked this question too. Would D2/D3 coaches be okay with having transfers of players who were really good? You could have a big board of transfers or whatever so you can still predict if it would happen. But basically if the player is really super duper good, it's likely he will transfer.

I have teams in all 3 divisions so I can see the merit of it and how it'd reflect real life (if that's what people want).
3/28/2017 9:08 AM
And another thing that you could do, if desired, is to have low D1 players transfer too. This is probably one of the biggest sources of transfers in college bball today.
3/28/2017 9:20 AM
There probably should be some unexpected transfers at the lower levels, as that happens in real life for a variety of reasons. I'm not sure if 60% of the top 100 is the right number. I'd doubt that reflects reality. But as a new player, I'd be good with this in general.

And while I realize the OP in this thread is obviously intended to be whiny and sarcastic, it actually has some merit.
3/28/2017 9:37 AM
Posted by Benis on 3/28/2017 9:08:00 AM (view original):

3) don't whine.

thoughts?
I suggested or asked this question too. Would D2/D3 coaches be okay with having transfers of players who were really good? You could have a big board of transfers or whatever so you can still predict if it would happen. But basically if the player is really super duper good, it's likely he will transfer.

I have teams in all 3 divisions so I can see the merit of it and how it'd reflect real life (if that's what people want).
I think I suggested it before you and I'd be fine with it.

If I sign the 132nd SG, he excels and wants to move up, he should send out feelers to D2/D1 schools.

Sorry, stewie, I know you thought you were onto something that would send the poor D3 schools crying but you're not. Try again.
3/28/2017 11:03 AM
Do it Stewdog.

Look at my rosters over the last few seasons. I think I've recruited one or two D1 Players. Every season, I don't have guys in the preseason or postseason All Americans, nor do I really have that many in my conference All Americans. I also don't think I've had a player of the year even in my conference. I don't believe I have elite talent at all on my teams. I try and recruit guys who fit my system, be it D3, D2, or even D1 although rarely at that level.

Now look at my record... 4 of the last 5 seasons in the Elite 8. One Final 4...

*Drops the mic*
3/28/2017 11:05 AM
I think a random mix of 25/75 of the top players would definitely make things interesting. Michigans Duncan Robinson is great current example of this.
3/28/2017 11:58 AM
Better walkons would be great too. Iowa has Nicholas Baer who just got 6th man of the yr in the big ten as a sophomore and Purdue/Michigans spike albreicht was a walk on too IIRC
3/28/2017 12:00 PM

3) don't whine.

thoughts?
And guys die in car crashes,

And guys go on a mission to the south sea islands.

And guys get arrested and deported by ICE.

And guys get meningitis and can't play.

These ideas would be a lot simpler and damage HD as a whole a lot less then the OP.
3/28/2017 12:09 PM
"I love all the ee "debates" on this board, particularly the ones who add, "I mostly play D2/3, but it's really not an issue. They add a lot o the conversation."
So does the banter between the "KNOW IT ALL'S" THE "KNOW NOTHINGS" & THE "TROLLS" ..it's all good..
3/28/2017 12:17 PM
What I love is D1 coaches believe that no one can possibly understand the concept of losing a great player and not being able to replace him with equal caliber unless you've actually experienced it as a D1 coach.

You didn't invent fire or the wheel, stewie. You took over a great team and didn't run it into the ground. Nothing more, nothing less.
3/28/2017 12:32 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/28/2017 12:33:00 PM (view original):
What I love is D1 coaches believe that no one can possibly understand the concept of losing a great player and not being able to replace him with equal caliber unless you've actually experienced it as a D1 coach.

You didn't invent fire or the wheel, stewie. You took over a great team and didn't run it into the ground. Nothing more, nothing less.
You are talking about getting luck out of the process as much as possible. You had nice idea about the problem. Until something is done, it will always come back.
3/28/2017 12:37 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/28/2017 12:33:00 PM (view original):

c'mon now, lets be fair. he did win 4 consecutive national championships. While it does fall under "not running it into the ground", it also falls under "one of the greatest programs of all time"
3/28/2017 12:40 PM
I thought I was being fair. He started on 3rd and scored on a single but is celebrating a home run.
3/28/2017 12:49 PM

3) don't whine.

thoughts?
How does it improve gameplay? You haven't tried to make a compelling case yet, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

EEs affect the top of the food chain, so to speak. It essentially adds volatility to the full value of elite commodities as a counter measure. Teams at the top of the food chain, the "apex predators" of HD, suffer no other mechanism to check perpetuity. It's good for competitive gameplay at that level, whereas introducing similar concepts to lower levels may not be, because the top teams in D2 and 3 already have that potential penalty for reaching too high, in that an apex predator can come along during the recruiting process. I'm not sure it wouldn't work at D2/3, I am just not seeing a compelling case yet.

On the realism front, I think the better option is simply increasing the likelihood that those players who legitimately have solid D1 expectations decline to sign with lower teams, and choose a juco route. I am not buying the idea that a significant number of top D2/3 players transfer up every year "for exposure". Almost none of that caliber of player has any real hopes of playing in the NBA. I mean what else, are the girls better looking on D1 campuses? You're much more likely to see players get frustrated with a lack of PT on top teams, and transfer down (to mid-majors or lower tier Big 6 schools, if not D2/3) to get it.

TLDR - I can get behind increasing the number of D1 projected players choosing juco instead of dropping. Transferring up, you need to make a better case to get me on board.
3/28/2017 1:14 PM
123 Next ▸
D2 D3 and early eantries Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.