D2 D3 and early eantries Topic

He doesn't want to improve gameplay. He wants to ***** and "teach lessons".
3/28/2017 1:26 PM
Posted by benrudy on 3/28/2017 12:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/28/2017 12:33:00 PM (view original):
What I love is D1 coaches believe that no one can possibly understand the concept of losing a great player and not being able to replace him with equal caliber unless you've actually experienced it as a D1 coach.

You didn't invent fire or the wheel, stewie. You took over a great team and didn't run it into the ground. Nothing more, nothing less.
c'mon now, lets be fair. he did win 4 consecutive national championships. While it does fall under "not running it into the ground", it also falls under "one of the greatest programs of all time"
By taking over one of the best programs, starting in third, and having it handed to me, you mean...
Worked his way up to the point he could grab a decent team and then Took over a team who made it past the second round one time in the previous 40 seasons and took it to the top. Repeatedly?
Oh, ok.

For the record. Are all those who think ee isn't a problem good having a D2 &D3 purging with no resources for them to recruit until after the purge?
It makes the game really awkward... I wanna win, kinda. I want to be good, but not too good or I'll get purged.
Does this make sense in a competition?
4/3/2017 12:09 PM
Posted by supersloth33 on 3/28/2017 11:05:00 AM (view original):
Do it Stewdog.

Look at my rosters over the last few seasons. I think I've recruited one or two D1 Players. Every season, I don't have guys in the preseason or postseason All Americans, nor do I really have that many in my conference All Americans. I also don't think I've had a player of the year even in my conference. I don't believe I have elite talent at all on my teams. I try and recruit guys who fit my system, be it D3, D2, or even D1 although rarely at that level.

Now look at my record... 4 of the last 5 seasons in the Elite 8. One Final 4...

*Drops the mic*
You're making my point.

Youre saying its no no big deal, yet you've never played D1. Therefore, keep the mic in your hand until you do play this and let the D1 coaches actually acknowledge and try to fix a real problem there.
4/3/2017 12:13 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/28/2017 12:33:00 PM (view original):
What I love is D1 coaches believe that no one can possibly understand the concept of losing a great player and not being able to replace him with equal caliber unless you've actually experienced it as a D1 coach.

You didn't invent fire or the wheel, stewie. You took over a great team and didn't run it into the ground. Nothing more, nothing less.
And your statement also proves you don't get it as this is clearly not the issue either, it's the zero chance to even compete to get a player, SMH.

I took over a great team and didnt run it into the ground?
You proved your ignorance there, GT was not great before I arrived. And I kinda elevated it just a tad.
4/3/2017 12:16 PM
Oh, you don't get resources when players declare? I thought you did. My bad.
4/3/2017 12:24 PM
unless this post was satirical, y'all are trying to over-complicate things. let's figure out 3.0 first.
4/3/2017 12:31 PM
Well, first we have to admit that the D1 recruits that drop to D2/D3 do so because D1 schools don't want them. Same with D2 recruits to D3. While stewie wants 60, my guess 10 might end up with a D1 school. So I guess the other 50 just wander off into the sunset.
4/3/2017 12:42 PM
I started to write a lengthy response to you stewdog but I stopped. Nothing I write would dissuade you of your beliefs. Just like nothing you'll write back in response would dissuade me.

4/3/2017 1:36 PM
Posted by supersloth33 on 4/3/2017 1:36:00 PM (view original):
I started to write a lengthy response to you stewdog but I stopped. Nothing I write would dissuade you of your beliefs. Just like nothing you'll write back in response would dissuade me.

Sums up 100% of the conversations on here haha
4/3/2017 1:53 PM
"EEs affect the top of the food chain, so to speak. It essentially adds volatility to the full value of elite commodities as a counter measure. Teams at the top of the food chain, the "apex predators" of HD, suffer no other mechanism to check perpetuity. It's good for competitive gameplay at that level"

I'm glad that one guy addressed the OP on its merits.

And this post comes pretty close to doing so, too: "He doesn't want to improve gameplay. He wants to ***** and 'teach lessons'."
4/3/2017 2:02 PM
I think trying to teach a lesson is the wrong way to look at things. So in terms of teaching a lesson I am against that aspect. I did however propose something similar for EE issues. I will start a post on it for feedback.

4/3/2017 2:25 PM
I'll make the case for the OP.

The top A+++ D2/D3 programs are so far above the bottom D2/D3 programs they need to be punished for their success a little and brought back to the middle. Being a pretty good D1 coach, when I coached D2 I barely ever lost outside the NT. My last 5 seasons at D2 I averaged 29-4, and most of my losses where when I was screwing around testing the system. For competitive balance, it would have been good to remove a player or two from my team so the average D2 coaches had a chance.

This is basically the argument for A+ D1 teams to have EEs:
1) EEs are realistic (as would be D2 xfers to D1 or D3 transfers to D2)
2) They are good for competitive balance so the top teams don't hog the talent.

So as a serious proposal, I think it has merit. Some D2/D3 coaches just hog talent and always end up in the Sweet16 or better. It isn't that hard to dominate without xfers if you know the system and are playing the newbies.
4/3/2017 2:42 PM
The problem is, I assume, that the guys who fall to D2/D3 aren't wanted by D1. We know D1 can take them at the drop of the hat. But they'd rather have walk-ons than the 122nd ranked PG. So where do the D2 guys go? I imagine D3 to D2 would be easier. I think some D3 schools get talent that D2 would covet.
4/3/2017 2:45 PM
I have had guys at my D2 team that I would gladly take on my D1 team if they were to transfer
Hoops Dynasty – College Basketball Sim Games - Bobby Trower - Ratings - Phelan - Hoops Dynasty Basketball | WhatIfSports

This guy could probably start on my VT team.

I am not saying that this should happen, I am just pointing out that there are D2 players better than some if not a lot of D1 players.
4/3/2017 3:10 PM
"The top A+++ D2/D3 programs are so far above the bottom D2/D3 programs they need to be punished for their success a little and brought back to the middle."

So you see, Mike, if that wasn't written sarcastically there are some people who want to punish success. I'm glad WIS doesn't see it that way.
4/3/2017 4:06 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
D2 D3 and early eantries Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.