Is there any advantage to large conferences Topic

Seems as if all of the advantages of playing in a large conference are gone is this correct?

I am trying to rebuild Purdue & South Carolina but can't find any recruiting advantages and am struggling to land decent recruits?

Is the only advantage for bad teams in good conferences the "strong conference" advantage?

Tough sledding to rebuild a bad team in a good conference these days.

Any help here would be great!

Thanks
4/6/2017 1:32 PM
i think just strong conference

also can help SOS/RPI of course - but also can make wins harder

used to be that I thought the best case was a BCS conference with say 10 humans - and 2 SIMs so there were a couple of ready wins.

that led to $$ and often an active coaches corner discussion

no longer much incentive
4/6/2017 1:43 PM
It is tough rebuilding in the Big Six. All I can say, is it is very good they have not corrected the firing logic yet in 3.0.
4/6/2017 1:58 PM
i would say the best situation is a sort of middle ground. a weak conference still makes it impossible to get a good seed and can keep you out of the NT...when a lot of sims in your conf are having down years, you are adding so many sub-200 RPIs to your schedule, and it just murders you in the projection report (this happened to my team in Tark last season).

but a really great conference can give you too many losses.
4/6/2017 2:01 PM
I say go for a tough conference at D2 and D3. At D1 it takes so damn long to move up and to rebuild that a small conference is fine.

but basically the advantage is that its more fun.
4/6/2017 2:03 PM
Two things to keep in mind when doing a major or total rebuild at a Big Six (c) program that has a C or less prestige. 1) DON'T think of your situation as I'm PURDUE dammit and I deserve and need 5 studs immediately to compete in this conference, and 2) DO rebuild in stages with goals at the end of each of those stages (ex., by end of season 3, make the PIT; by end of season 4, make the NT--get prestige to B level.)

For #1, when you need 10 - 12 guys, you're probably not going to load up with all 4 and 5-star guys. A few players you recruit may not have ANY stars. Depending on your number of openings, you might be able to snag a great player or two. But you will want enough "good" players so that you are highly likely to beat the sims you will face--more wins, better prestige--and at a higher baseline prestige school your prestige will rebound more quickly. Pay more attention to potentials--guys who will be there for you in a few seasons when your team is starting to gel--and less on the EE guys. This will go hand-in-hand with...

#2 by gradually improving your program your higher prestige will enable you to battle more effectively for the studs. South Carolina wasn't built in a day.

Another reason to build up a "decent" team at first is that by season 4 you should find yourself with other plusses (or at least not negatives): coach's longevity, "wants success" and "strong defense". Better prestige, better preferences, better pizza recruits.

I agree with what the people above said. The advantages of a top conference will come later--stronger RPI and seeding. Be prepared for the beatdowns you are going to take the first few seasons.
4/6/2017 3:11 PM
Most of the advantages are gone.
Baseline prestige tends to be higher and better conferences, not a conference advantage… But that might attract more people.
The negative, though, is that you play harder schedule, get a lower RPI, and have harder competition.
Advantage to is that some players prefer a strong conference. So that is an advantage for certain players, but definitely not all.
If you are at a big six conference that has the schools spread out such as the big 12 or possibly big 10, there could be some advantages. If you are tight together with UNC, Nc St, Duke, Wake, Clemson, Georgia Tech, etc. All nearby... that conference advantage isn't completely negated and I would say there are now many DISadvantages to being in the 3.0 ACC & I would hate trying to be rebuild at South Carolina.
4/6/2017 3:43 PM
Posted by stewdog on 4/6/2017 3:43:00 PM (view original):
Baseline prestige tends to be higher and better conferences, not a conference advantage… But that might attract more people.
The negative, though, is that you play harder schedule, get a lower RPI, and have harder competition.
Advantage to is that some players prefer a strong conference. So that is an advantage for certain players, but definitely not all.
If you are at a big six conference that has the schools spread out such as the big 12 or possibly big 10, there could be some advantages. If you are tight together with UNC, Nc St, Duke, Wake, Clemson, Georgia Tech, etc. All nearby... that conference advantage isn't completely negated and I would say there are now many DISadvantages to being in the 3.0 ACC & I would hate trying to be rebuild at South Carolina.
Honestly, if you want to play D1, go where there is competition or plan a tough non-con Schedule.
4/6/2017 3:53 PM
The higher baseline prestige is still a significant advantage, as long as you're not a doormat. Rebuilding doormats in full conferences is tough, but that's always been true, so buyer beware. The more full the conference, the less margin for rebuilding error.

I think every conference will have it's sweet spot. Probably about 8-10 for most Big 6 conferences, and 5-7 for competitive mid-majors.
4/6/2017 5:47 PM
You can still get a high seed with an empty conference. Reference Dickinson. That may be tougher at the higher levels, but it is clearly manageable. The full conferences help with boosting rpi and sos, however if the conference has 12 guys, you know there is at best 10 post season teams. Maybe I am wrong?
4/6/2017 6:10 PM
It definitely helps the prestige. In one world I have Kansas, and can't seem to get to an A+, even though we have been at least getting to the second round and having players drafted. It's a weak conference, so that has to be the reason for that.
4/6/2017 11:14 PM
Posted by zorzii on 4/6/2017 3:53:00 PM (view original):
Honestly, if you want to play D1, go where there is competition or plan a tough non-con Schedule.
My 2.0 strategy was always get to the best conference and anything is possible. I won NC's at low baseline D1 schools in great conferences (Virginia Tech/ Colorado) & good baselines in great conferences (Georgia tech). I actually Never had a great baseline school.

Im not sure the ACC or Big East will be a great conference in 3.0 because the amount of nearby high prestige competition for recruits was previously offset by the concentration of resources, which has now been completely negated.

A 6 scholarship C- South Carolina actually would be favored against a 2 schollie Duke/ UNC, 4 schollie Clemson and NC St, etc. As the prestige isn't quite as important as it used to be and the resources aren't there. The main current difference for local recruits is now scholarship openings that allow more AP's and resources and dice rolls.
4/9/2017 8:50 AM
Posted by stewdog on 4/9/2017 8:50:00 AM (view original):
Posted by zorzii on 4/6/2017 3:53:00 PM (view original):
My 2.0 strategy was always get to the best conference and anything is possible. I won NC's at low baseline D1 schools in great conferences (Virginia Tech/ Colorado) & good baselines in great conferences (Georgia tech). I actually Never had a great baseline school.

Im not sure the ACC or Big East will be a great conference in 3.0 because the amount of nearby high prestige competition for recruits was previously offset by the concentration of resources, which has now been completely negated.

A 6 scholarship C- South Carolina actually would be favored against a 2 schollie Duke/ UNC, 4 schollie Clemson and NC St, etc. As the prestige isn't quite as important as it used to be and the resources aren't there. The main current difference for local recruits is now scholarship openings that allow more AP's and resources and dice rolls.
How are recruit generations handled? If UConn is picked up, the whole East from North to South will be owned in Phelan. There was so little talent last time. I hope it takes the number of owners in consideration.
4/9/2017 8:59 AM
I think being in a better conference helps with how well you set your distribution and such, with my Grabd Valley State team, there are only 2 other humans in the conference, and they are both in the other division, so all of those other games are against crappy teams, so I don't know if the guys shooting 60% are actually good, or if it is just because they are playing 250 RPI teams all the time. As opposed to back when my RUN team was playing in a almost full NJAC and almost every game was a tough game, and I would be able to figure out what my flaws are a lot easier, so I am better prepared for the NT.
4/9/2017 9:37 AM
Posted by MonsterTurtl on 4/9/2017 9:37:00 AM (view original):
I think being in a better conference helps with how well you set your distribution and such, with my Grabd Valley State team, there are only 2 other humans in the conference, and they are both in the other division, so all of those other games are against crappy teams, so I don't know if the guys shooting 60% are actually good, or if it is just because they are playing 250 RPI teams all the time. As opposed to back when my RUN team was playing in a almost full NJAC and almost every game was a tough game, and I would be able to figure out what my flaws are a lot easier, so I am better prepared for the NT.
This
4/9/2017 5:28 PM
Is there any advantage to large conferences Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.