going from press to press/mantoman or press/2/3zon Topic

im thinking due to the athletic issues of my team *we are fast though, of switching from press defense to press/23zone or press/man2man..

i used to do this way back when, but i just came back to hd, last time i played was 2014

any ideas/ suggestions/ comments are welcome.

team : https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=6356
7/8/2017 9:46 PM (edited)
I enjoy the press/zone. No championships with it yet, but I think I can field pretty competitive teams. I like the flexibility of zone, being able to move from 2-3 to 3-2 depending on my opponent, and double teams. Maintaining a HCP lets me get back some of those turnovers. I can also utilize players that are not in high demand, so I can spend more resources on top priorities; for example, the extreme Reb/Blk center with mediocre defense, the extreme ath/def trap player who can be hidden on offense, the "pure point guard" who may lack some ath and def, etc. Lots of options for team construction. And getting away from FCP, I can take walkons or redshirt players when I need to.

It's not for everyone. I spend about 50 minutes in sets (less in press than offense and zone), so I'm not always maxing out every category of lower work ethic guys. And you kind of want to be gameplanning every day to take advantage of it. It's maybe not best for coaches who want to set it and leave it.
7/8/2017 10:09 PM
im not a set and leave coach typically. but my teams ath is rather low, but we have alot of speed, and we have good stamina.. i never used press in the past, and so far im not impressed with it, do you think that the low ratings in zone early in the season would lead to some hard losses though?

iv got a very tough nonconf schedule
7/8/2017 10:19 PM
Yeah, the first season of a new set is always going to be tough, especially if you are stuck with a tough non conference. It will hurt you this year, and that's a consideration. I'd recommend, for what it's worth, don't think so much about what you have on the team now, especially with 6 seniors. Think about whether you're going to stay here, and what kind of recruits you want to go after moving forward. If this is just a stepping stone, maybe your priority is to win as much as possible every year, to move you up as fast as possible. In that case, I'd think twice about a switch. But if you're going to stick it out for a while, and you like poking around with a strategy that most people won't touch, it may be a good fit for you.
7/9/2017 12:57 AM
going from press to press/mantoman or press/2/3zon Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.