One caveat- the game COULD support that many users at D1 if they improved recruit generation. Which is the whole point of what we are talking about here.
9/23/2017 6:47 PM
Actually probably not. Still would need a lot or users to be content with little to no postseason success.
9/23/2017 6:52 PM
Posted by Benis on 9/23/2017 6:47:00 PM (view original):
One caveat- the game COULD support that many users at D1 if they improved recruit generation. Which is the whole point of what we are talking about here.
What needs to be improved with recruit generation?
9/23/2017 6:54 PM
Posted by Benis on 9/23/2017 6:52:00 PM (view original):
Actually probably not. Still would need a lot or users to be content with little to no postseason success.
Not just postseason success...little to no postseason (NT) appearances.
9/23/2017 8:16 PM
Naismith World Division-1 peaked in season 23 with 228 humans

Wooden peaked in Season 23 with 215 humans.

For old timers, how did these seasons play out? Were a lot of humans frustrated? Tough to recruit?
9/23/2017 9:13 PM
My reasoning may be different from john's or benis' but here is what I think would happen with a mostly full DI in 3.0 without changes. In 2.0, the great flaw was the interaction of baseline prestige, potential and postseason cash. There was a hard cutoff between which schools could compete and everyone else, regardless of coaching skill. 3.0 changed that but only because user numbers dropped dramatically. There currently is no need to group into the BCS (high baseline prestige) schools. People have spread out to find a piece of real estate to claim as their own and baseline prestige has been lessened by a lack of proximity. However, if 3.0 had 250 users, by sheer press, the BCS conferences would fill out again and many humans would be forced into low DI, hence low baseline prestige, schools. In that scenario, I think baseline prestige would once again roar back to life and those stuck in low DI locations, and I mean stuck since there is no job firing apparatus, would become frustrated and leave. That's why recruit generation must accompany any increase in DI population numbers. Many more DI project players must be generated to help low DI, rather than the garbage DI recruits today that even DIII schools won't sign.
9/23/2017 9:33 PM (edited)
Posted by npb7768 on 9/23/2017 9:13:00 PM (view original):

For old timers, how did these seasons play out? Were a lot of humans frustrated? Tough to recruit?
That was HD 1.0, a great program where linear growth allowed for endless creativity with roster construction. You could win almost anywhere if you had the skill. Hawaii and St. Bonaventure were winning titles. Frustration started with 2.0.
9/23/2017 9:34 PM (edited)
Posted by gomiami1972 on 9/23/2017 8:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 9/23/2017 6:52:00 PM (view original):
Not just postseason success...little to no postseason (NT) appearances.
Yep. Meant to say that.
9/23/2017 9:41 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 9/23/2017 9:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by npb7768 on 9/23/2017 9:13:00 PM (view original):

That was HD 1.0, a great program where linear growth allowed for endless creativity with roster construction. You could win almost anywhere if you had the skill. Hawaii and St. Bonaventure were winning titles. Frustration started with 2.0.
There could have been a reason this only lasted for 3 seasons.

HMMMMMM
9/23/2017 9:42 PM
Benis beat me to it. 200+ users at D1 wasn't sustainable in the hayday of HD...weird.
9/23/2017 9:47 PM
Good points JSS, Benis, and Darnoc. Thanks for the read!
9/23/2017 9:48 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 9/23/2017 9:33:00 PM (view original):
My reasoning may be different from john's or benis' but here is what I think would happen with a mostly full DI in 3.0 without changes. In 2.0, the great flaw was the interaction of baseline prestige, potential and postseason cash. There was a hard cutoff between which schools could compete and everyone else, regardless of coaching skill. 3.0 changed that but only because user numbers dropped dramatically. There currently is no need to group into the BCS (high baseline prestige) schools. People have spread out to find a piece of real estate to claim as their own and baseline prestige has been lessened by a lack of proximity. However, if 3.0 had 250 users, by sheer press, the BCS conferences would fill out again and many humans would be forced into low DI, hence low baseline prestige, schools. In that scenario, I think baseline prestige would once again roar back to life and those stuck in low DI locations, and I mean stuck since there is no job firing apparatus, would become frustrated and leave. That's why recruit generation must accompany any increase in DI population numbers. Many more DI project players must be generated to help low DI, rather than the garbage DI recruits today that even DIII schools won't sign.
Agreed. Spot on.
9/23/2017 9:48 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 9/23/2017 9:33:00 PM (view original):
Excellent post.
9/23/2017 9:52 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 9/23/2017 6:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 9/23/2017 6:47:00 PM (view original):
What needs to be improved with recruit generation?
I explained in the other thread on this topic. Its good stuff. Check it out.
9/23/2017 10:52 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 9/23/2017 4:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by johnsensing on 9/22/2017 5:03:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 9/22/2017 4:41:00 PM (view original):
I don't see what's so rocket-sciency about that. All levels are competing from the same overall pool of recruits. It's just a matter of determining how high up you and your school can reach to get the best players to fit your program. At the top level D1 schools, everybody in the pool is fair game and recruitable. As you drop down to lower level D1, then through D2, and finally through to D3, the realistic "reach" is going to be progressively lower.

So what's the problem? Why are some people here insisting "you don't understand D1 recruiting", as if it's magically different? And why would more humans in D1 somehow create a problem?
It isn't magically different, but it absolutely is different for all of the reasons benis and I stated (and probably others). To answer your last question, though, I'll repost what I posted this morning in another thread:

"Here's what will happen in a full 3.0 DI w/re elite recruits: certain teams will win their dice rolls and be loaded; certain teams will split them (win 1, lose 1) and have a team with a few studs and a bunch of holes, and certain teams will go 0-fer. Currently, the teams that go 0-fer have alternatives (not great alternatives, but alternatives), because it's so easy to push SIM off recruits -- those backups will be much harder to obtain in a full DI, since you'll be falling back against humans. Multiply this over a few years, and you're going to have even more coach frustration than you do now (and a couple of monstrous teams that were lucky, went 6-0 in dice rolls over a couple years, and are nearly unbeatable). Additionally, right now there is a viable strategy of building up a team via picking up non-elite players who will be decently strong (700-750 overall) by their senior years -- those teams can make runs (probably can't win NTs, but you can make some S16s). While there's some competition for those recruits, it's often SIMs, or you can snag a few recruits w/o any competition at all. That path will be closed in a full DI, because you won't be able to win anyone playable without full-out battles."

This is already happening in DI -- in 2.0, there were 15/20 elite teams (or so), all of whom had a shot at the NT, then a big gap to the next tier -- much harder to make a S16. In 3.0, there's a much larger pool of teams that can make the S16, but a smaller pool of true NT contenders. More people in DI will heighten this effect.
Yeah, you didn't really "explain" anything here. This was really more of a whine-fest.

To summarize: "A larger population of human users means that it will be harder to land elite players, and it will be harder to get fall-back alternatives because everybody else will be going after them too".

Sounds like a lot of whining because your sense of entitlement to get the players (or fall-back options) you want is being challenged, and recruiting will be harder.

A fixed pool of D1 quality players spread out over 250 humans instead of 50 humans means the talent is spread out over a larger pool of coaches,which should lead to MORE competitive balance rather than less.

Seems like that should be a good thing.
Good for you, tecwrg. It is good to see someone making sense in this thread.

Recruiting in D3 involves learning to recruit the best players you can reach, always considering your team's prestige and the prestige of the other schools around you. You learn to evaluate what you can reach. You learn which schools around you are legitimate recruiting threats, and whether and how to challenge them. You learn that shooting for the moon has a severe penalty if you miss. You learn that you better be prepared with plan B and plan C before you even risk attempting that extra stretch for a player that will cost you a LOT and might be picked off by a bigger school. There isn't a lot of human competition yet, so you can use a pretty broad brush -- the process isn't very exacting at this level.

Recruiting in D2 involves the same things. All of them. And there is the added factor that some coaches get stars in their eyes, win a so-called "D1" recruit once, and immediately feel entitled to more of the same. You are competing with some coaches who learned their lessons in D3 and are good competition for you. This makes the game more exacting at this level. You are also competing with some coaches who haven't learned their lessons and still think of the game as coin flips and dice rolls, a crippling mindset. This makes the game fun, because you get to read their drivel in the forums. They find more and more creative ways to blame the game for their failures.

Then you come to D1, the pinnacle of both the skilled and the merely entitled. Fun for some, not for others.

BTW, the actual problem that a nearly full D1 or worse yet, a nearly full world, would present would be the breakdown of the job process: near total gridlock with almost nowhere to advance. It seems to me that Seble once said the job process was the next big project they were working on, before the sale of the company probably derailed them. I hope it is still the case that the job process gets overhauled.
9/24/2017 12:31 AM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...19 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.