Posted by MikeT23 on 9/25/2017 9:06:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 9/25/2017 9:00:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 9/25/2017 8:59:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/25/2017 8:35:00 AM (view original):
Posted by zorzii on 9/25/2017 7:39:00 AM (view original):
I think D2/D3 is a level playing field. In 3.0. Just need to cap so you don't let niche location get better recruits that are contested in other areas where there are more D1 teams.

The more D1 teams in a world, the tougher it gets for starting programs. Especially badly located ones. I am building Alabama in a full sec with UAB being a B and Southern Illinois being a B- and I am contested on all near recruits. Out of state recruiting is suicide because it's not $ well spent, internationals, except low stars one is also a bad strat since it needs too much ap and make you strategy one directional. Make at a distance recruiting cheaper by 50 % and want to play far a real kicker that gives a way better advantage.
The "problem" with capping D2/D3 at this point is the next 3-4 seasons. You'll have these low level D1 players finishing their careers and dominating the FR/SO/JR classes from D3 only.

You essentially kill D2/D3 for three seasons. People quit and don't come back.
But. Isn't that the same for everyone? It's a level playing field for all D3 users so what would they have to complain about.
And how is it different than what happened with the transition TO 3.0?

Or maybe that's why so many people quit?
Of course it's not a level playing field for all D3 users. The guy who just signed 6 FR low level D1 has an advantage over the guy who signed 1 for the next four seasons.

So you're for doing something, again but reversed, that made people quit?

The "solution" to the non-problem would be to jack up D3 talent in the recruit pool. But now you're doing two fixes when none are required. And you're still putting n00bs into battles with 200+ season vets.
I'm just glad that we're all on the same page that D3 teams are better now than they were previously.
9/25/2017 9:10 AM
I don't know what "previously were" is so I'm not sure we're talking about the same subject at this point. I was away for 10 years. But I know D3 players now are not as good as D1/D2 pulldowns.
9/25/2017 9:15 AM
I think D2/D3 is a level playing field. In 3.0. Just need to cap so you don't let niche location get better recruits that are contested in other areas where there are more D1 teams.

The more D1 teams in a world, the tougher it gets for starting programs. Especially badly located ones. I am building Alabama in a full sec with UAB being a B and Southern Illinois being a B- and I am contested on all near recruits. Out of state recruiting is suicide because it's not $ well spent, internationals, except low stars one is also a bad strat since it needs too much ap and make you strategy one directional. Make at a distance recruiting cheaper by 50 % and want to play far a real kicker that gives a way better advantage.
The "problem" with capping D2/D3 at this point is the next 3-4 seasons. You'll have these low level D1 players finishing their careers and dominating the FR/SO/JR classes from D3 only.

I disagree. We had the we situation in Pheland and all survived D1. It's tough for those coming in but not a reason to quit.
9/25/2017 10:50 AM
One team vs. dozens. Not even close to the same.
9/25/2017 10:55 AM
Posted by zorzii on 9/25/2017 10:50:00 AM (view original):

I disagree. We had the we situation in Pheland and all survived D1. It's tough for those coming in but not a reason to quit.
Yeah, this is no different than when tarek/Seble lowered the ratings on all new recruits because there were too many DI teams with all 90+ rated rosters. Version 3.0 caused more people to leave than this talent adjustment.

Disagree with making distance cheaper than it already is. This was already toned down in 3.0 and doesn't need a second cut. Find recruits that match your preferences now .
9/25/2017 12:49 PM
Posted by mullycj on 9/25/2017 12:49:00 PM (view original):

Yeah, this is no different than when tarek/Seble lowered the ratings on all new recruits because there were too many DI teams with all 90+ rated rosters. Version 3.0 caused more people to leave than this talent adjustment.

Disagree with making distance cheaper than it already is. This was already toned down in 3.0 and doesn't need a second cut. Find recruits that match your preferences now .
At a distance, it does not work... You are still unable to compete. But say I am Duke, I want an LA Kid... no way I can't compete.
9/25/2017 2:40 PM
Now you're "solving" two problems that don't exist.
9/25/2017 3:05 PM

Mully - why would anyone listen to you? You clearly don't know how this game works.

Always running around blaming the game for your failures.
9/25/2017 3:23 PM
"At a distance, it does not work... You are still unable to compete. But say I am Duke, I want an LA Kid... no way I can't compete."

Who says you SHOULD be able to compete with high prestige LA schools from Duke in this game? You can't have everything you want......that's the idea of having to make choices.
9/25/2017 3:23 PM
lol Benis....I'm clearly on the decline these past three seasons..
9/25/2017 3:25 PM
Posted by mullycj on 9/25/2017 3:25:00 PM (view original):
lol Benis....I'm clearly on the decline these past three seasons..
Haha seriously that is an impressive run. Nice job.
9/25/2017 3:28 PM
Posted by zorzii on 9/25/2017 2:40:00 PM (view original):

At a distance, it does not work... You are still unable to compete. But say I am Duke, I want an LA Kid... no way I can't compete.
That's not true. Chapel at Hawaii in Iba is bringing in talent from all over the mainland now...he's battling for them and winning. Being a long time Hawaii coach, I'm amazed he's pulling it off so regularly but even I pulled in the #11 PG out of Alabama, beating Alabama and Auburn in a three way battle. It can be done at distance. It's a matter of skill and will.
9/25/2017 3:39 PM
Having not played D1 I'm sure I don't understand but, everything else being equal, wouldn't Duke have the advantage over UCLA on an LA kid if his preference was "Far from home"? Assuming I'm correct, having not played D1 in 3.0 I can't be sure, if both schools put in max effort, wouldn't take be favored in the dreaded "dice roll"? Having not played D1 in 3.0 I don't know but wouldn't it just simply be more expensive for Duke to put in same effort as UCLA on LA kid?
9/25/2017 3:42 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/25/2017 9:06:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 9/25/2017 9:00:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 9/25/2017 8:59:00 AM (view original):

But. Isn't that the same for everyone? It's a level playing field for all D3 users so what would they have to complain about.
And how is it different than what happened with the transition TO 3.0?

Or maybe that's why so many people quit?
Of course it's not a level playing field for all D3 users. The guy who just signed 6 FR low level D1 has an advantage over the guy who signed 1 for the next four seasons.

So you're for doing something, again but reversed, that made people quit?

The "solution" to the non-problem would be to jack up D3 talent in the recruit pool. But now you're doing two fixes when none are required. And you're still putting n00bs into battles with 200+ season vets.
People didn't quit because it made D3 unfair in the way you describe. They quit because once again it was a half-assed rollout by WIS that failed to address user-raised issues with the game, was rushed out the door bugs and all (ala 2.0 and pretty much every GD "update" ever...) and featured a new recruiting system that many found cumbersome, unenjoyable and untenable.

But don't take my word for it. Go back and look at the gazillion or so threads from a year ago. The dominance of certain teams over others due to the rollout and the change in who can be recruited I'm not sure ever merited its own thread. It may have been mentioned in passing coming out of beta that schools who could recruit big classes were going to have an advantage, but it wasn't a commonly heard rant as people went to the door. When the previous engine change rolled out and high speed teams went from being dominant to losing games to high athleticism squads, people didn't leave then for that reason either, even though it gave an advantage to people who could immediately recruit for athleticism. If you build an enjoyable game and people continue to find enjoyment, they stick around through the change. If you strip the game of whatever they found enjoyable, they leave and take their discretionary income elsewhere.
9/25/2017 3:48 PM
I started reading this topic on the first page, skipped ahead a few pages, skipped ahead a few more - it's all the same crap.

Mike: "I'm going to stand pat on a bold statement that I know people will disagree with! Somebody argue with me!!"
Others: "Oh my gosh Mike, you have no idea what you're talking about, allow me to inform you on allll of the things that I know so much more about than you."
Mike: "Really? I'm going to oversimplify your point, twisting the rhetoric to make it seem as though I'm right! Muahahaha, argue forever!"
Others: "Ugh, arguing with Mike is the worst! I better keep doing it for 15 ******* pages"

I'll say this actually on the topic, though: D1 is much harder than I anticipated. I've recruited a few classes with both of my teams and still don't anticipate being anywhere close to competitive. I'm in non-B6 conferences and I'm having trouble competing within my own conference. It might just be that I suck at this, but either way I'm having fun with the learning curve.
9/25/2017 4:00 PM
◂ Prev 1...10|11|12|13|14...19 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.