New to posting, but not the game - Recruiting. Topic

So I've read through these forums for a while and some of you are very entertaining to say the least.

My question is about recruiting. Has anyone else created an excel program (or something similar) to project what their targets will look like.

I just did it in with my final 6 targets to whittle it down to 4. Seeing if there are any bigger nerds out there.
9/26/2017 1:42 PM
Posted by brett3154 on 9/26/2017 1:42:00 PM (view original):
So I've read through these forums for a while and some of you are very entertaining to say the least.

My question is about recruiting. Has anyone else created an excel program (or something similar) to project what their targets will look like.

I just did it in with my final 6 targets to whittle it down to 4. Seeing if there are any bigger nerds out there.
I absolutely do that, and boil it down to a composite score (using someone else's formula) and choose to prioritize recruits that way. Not that it's done me any good, but it's the way I narrow my list down after finding 15-20 players I like at first glance.
9/26/2017 2:12 PM

For some reason, I find writing everything down on a blank piece of paper to be much easier, at least for me.
9/26/2017 2:16 PM

I have different spreadsheets to calculate different estimates (min/max) for different positions. I just checked my folder on my computer and I have close to 1000 individual files for recruits haha.
9/26/2017 2:20 PM
Awesome. I used to write it out if I needed more than two recruits but this time I decided to make and excel spreadsheet with basically the minimum improvements. It made it easier.

Funny thing, I had it down to five guys and then my 6 year old said "Why is that guy's ATH only at 40?" I said, good point and we went with the other four!
9/26/2017 2:47 PM
My spreadsheet estimates a recruits final ratings by detecting the color and adding the appropriate amount of growth. It then calculates an overall based on my player roles (which I am constantly tweaking). Sometimes at work I will discreetly write down the ratings for 2 or 3 recruits so I can easily compare them.
9/26/2017 2:57 PM
I probably have a shorter list than most, first i do my scouting, once i have all scouting done, then i search by my offense pref, i look for guys that will end up around 800+ overall (im in high d1 only) ,and i wont put anyone on yet that doesnt match VG or at least G on every Pref, then i do the same for the D i run, here your looking for players who have a D pref but not a Offensive pref, then i remove all pref, here im mainly looking at players 600 overall and under and i dont care about prefs here only upside , these are all more seconday recruits more than primary but they can be easily gotten as most dont go this low in high d1 , i then depending on how many scholorships, what positions im needed for not only next yr , but the nxt yr as well , dont just think for only 1 season ahead plan for the future too, then i look at my short target list usually around 10 players , then i will target 2-4 (depending on scholys available) all in guys, guys that you will be 20 visit, 1 campus and possible minutes , start players. and 1-3 (again depends on how many scholys you have) devolpmental players to target, then assign your attention points based off need first/ talent 2nd.
Then you see how the first period goes , see who is on your players, do they match as well as you on pref, whats my prestige vs theres all comes into play, then you have to adjust accordingly and i usually dont go after anyone else after i make that final decision after the first period comes in .
I honestly dont see a need to write any of that down on anything its all sortable within the game. at most ill use a notepad on my computer to project a players potential i use green as a rough add of 30pts unless its LP or PER then i might give 40 if there super low, blue is 20 , black i use 10, yellow is 5 , again thats a rough estimate to project thats how i do it.
Hopefully that might help someone as i know theres alot in the forums that dont help and spread around misinformation on purpose.
9/26/2017 3:05 PM
Posted by crzyballplay on 9/26/2017 3:05:00 PM (view original):
I probably have a shorter list than most, first i do my scouting, once i have all scouting done, then i search by my offense pref, i look for guys that will end up around 800+ overall (im in high d1 only) ,and i wont put anyone on yet that doesnt match VG or at least G on every Pref, then i do the same for the D i run, here your looking for players who have a D pref but not a Offensive pref, then i remove all pref, here im mainly looking at players 600 overall and under and i dont care about prefs here only upside , these are all more seconday recruits more than primary but they can be easily gotten as most dont go this low in high d1 , i then depending on how many scholorships, what positions im needed for not only next yr , but the nxt yr as well , dont just think for only 1 season ahead plan for the future too, then i look at my short target list usually around 10 players , then i will target 2-4 (depending on scholys available) all in guys, guys that you will be 20 visit, 1 campus and possible minutes , start players. and 1-3 (again depends on how many scholys you have) devolpmental players to target, then assign your attention points based off need first/ talent 2nd.
Then you see how the first period goes , see who is on your players, do they match as well as you on pref, whats my prestige vs theres all comes into play, then you have to adjust accordingly and i usually dont go after anyone else after i make that final decision after the first period comes in .
I honestly dont see a need to write any of that down on anything its all sortable within the game. at most ill use a notepad on my computer to project a players potential i use green as a rough add of 30pts unless its LP or PER then i might give 40 if there super low, blue is 20 , black i use 10, yellow is 5 , again thats a rough estimate to project thats how i do it.
Hopefully that might help someone as i know theres alot in the forums that dont help and spread around misinformation on purpose.
I should clarify that I only write a recruits ratings (with a rough estimate of potential added in) when I'm trying to decide which recruit to target and I'm not at my home computer. This is also more for D2/D3 and not high D since potential is much more important in those divisions.

I like your process for high D1. Since preferences matter a great deal on the "all in" type recruits, it's smart to take those into account from the start.
9/26/2017 3:28 PM

I have three of the most comprehensive spreadhsheets you will find.

One for recruiting, one for stats, one for gameplanning.

I have taken them from other people (who shared them with me of course) and adapted them for my own liking.
9/26/2017 3:36 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I do as well. Started 4 seasons ago with my DePauw team in Knight because I wanted to tinker with an excel formula that leverages the IF function dependent on the color of a cell's contents.

Realized my formulas are probably not A1 steak sauce when I compared my recent seniors' final ratings to my projected ratings. Ironically enough, they were considerably worse than my projections and I still won the NC.
9/26/2017 5:04 PM
Posted by snafu4u on 9/26/2017 4:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/26/2017 3:54:00 PM (view original):
Were the "other people" good at the game? If so, you shouldn't have tweaked them. You took steps backwards.
What the hell does this add to the thread at all except to derail it into one of your perpetual arguments with someone? It has become overwhelmingly apparent you are a cancer to these forums. You permeate each thread with your nonsense until they are all one big clusterfunk that nobody can read.
Haha, I stand by my original posts' first sentence.

But thanks for the feedback others. As someone who used to work in tech, I can't believe it took me a year to try spreadsheets ;)
9/26/2017 5:05 PM
Well, I blocked snafu months ago because he never adds anything, much like this time, but cubcub's post really didn't add much and I thought poking a little fun at someone wouldn't be met with venom and vitriol. But I forgot this was the Forum of the Thin-skinned.

And, as the OP said, sometimes the forums are entertaining. I guess not so much if you have a snafu, err, stick up your butt.
9/26/2017 5:12 PM
But, to "add" to this thread, I have tons of them for HBD but haven't done any for HD. Difference is you have 150+ players in HBD and 12 in HD. I imagine one could save some time with HD spreadsheets but I'm just not sure how much.
9/26/2017 5:14 PM
12 Next ▸
New to posting, but not the game - Recruiting. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.